Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Chase may be coding Amex Serve as a Cash Advance (not confirmed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterCharge
DO NOT CALL CHASE ABOUT THIS
You might want to read more about this hear. http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/jpmorgan-discovers-further-cyber-security-issues/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

Oct 2nd- State of CC Loading to Serve

except to ask for a $0 cash advance limit. This can also be done via secure message.

Some Chase cardholders have reported a change in their cash advance limit after a pending charge appears for their Serve load, and they presume it means the Serve load is a cash advance. No one has reported an actual cash advance fee yet, only a pending charge of $200. This could change but this situation has happened before! In the past, such charges eventually turn into ordinary charges and the cash advance goes away.

You cannot dispute a charge while it's pending, so there's no point in asking Chase about anything that hasn't posted. No one has reported a cash advance fee, and unless you have one do not call Chase.

There are reports of a change in cash advance limits after a Serve load with the following cards::
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred
  • Chase UA Explorer Visa
  • Chase UA Club
  • Chase Ink Bold Visa
  • Also a Capital One card
  • Discover IT

There are also reports of NO cash advance when using the following cards. Note the overlap:
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred
  • Chase UA Explorer Visa
  • Chase UA Explorer MC
  • Chase British Airways Visa
  • Chase Southwest Visa
  • Also Barclay, Citi cards (Prestige, AA), Fidelity AMEX seem to be ok
  • Bank of America (Visa)

Note that some of the reports appear in the Serve thread.
Print Wikipost

Chase may be coding Amex Serve as a Cash Advance (not confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2014, 1:14 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
do yourself a favour and... STOP!!

what exactly is the objective? to draw attention to your MS? good grief.

you have nothing to gain from calling them. NOTHING. i'm dumbfounded that anyone would call for $10 or $20. few things are more obviously MS than loading cash directly onto a debit card. and some of you posted about being connected to fraud dept and then risk. awesome.

chalk it up to the cost of doing business and (quietly) soldier on. hell, it may actually make you a 'better' customer. banks love customers who pay fees and interest- it's the cornerstone of their business model.

a good rule of thumb in MS is to make sure that there is zero correlation between your MS actions, and this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS6lNDrCi88
Well said.

But there are a LOT of complete morons out there. So the outraged calls to Chase will continue. Which will only bring greater tightening of the remaining options.

I sense another Hitler video coming...
Old Oct 3, 2014, 2:39 am
jk2

Load from Oct. 1 on my United Explorer card is now posted as "Sale". Let's see tomorrow how load from Oct. 2 posts.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 5:04 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt
Don't call to complain because you got caught. Thats like robbing a house and suing because they didn't have cool stuff for you to steal.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:16 am

Ok looks like Chase Ink Cash coding as CA for serve.

Curious on what giftcards will be coding as now.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:23 am

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by cabby
Ok looks like Chase Ink Cash coding as CA for serve.

Curious on what giftcards will be coding as now.
What do you mean by gift cards? If you try to load serve online with them, you will get shot down by AMEX
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
We need to let this all play out for a couple days before we all overreact.
I agree.

The more this issue is talked about here, we might as well say this is another dead avenue. It is too naive to think that the CCs mentioned here are not monitoring this thread. They may be chuckling that people's head are spinning with this new development.

The worse thing to do is keep calling them to draw more attention to it. Like others said, if we're charged CA, so be it; consider it as part of doing business and think of new strategies if you'll continue to do MS.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
do yourself a favour and... STOP!!

what exactly is the objective? to draw attention to your MS? good grief.

you have nothing to gain from calling them. NOTHING. i'm dumbfounded that anyone would call for $10 or $20. few things are more obviously MS than loading cash directly onto a debit card. and some of you posted about being connected to fraud dept and then risk. awesome.

chalk it up to the cost of doing business and (quietly) soldier on. hell, it may actually make you a 'better' customer. banks love customers who pay fees and interest- it's the cornerstone of their business model.

a good rule of thumb in MS is to make sure that there is zero correlation between your MS actions, and this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS6lNDrCi88
They are the same people who think the end of AP is the end of MS while AP and serve online loads are "easy", they are far from being more than a drop in the bucket to most competant MSers. Maybe this will thin the herd a bit....
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by rgAAFT
What do you mean by gift cards? If you try to load serve online with them, you will get shot down by AMEX
I meant going into a store and purchasing giftcards with the credit card.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:03 am

We should changed the title of this thread. It is NOT Chase coding as cash advance.

It is AMEX serve that has changed somehow.

However mark my words. If it truly is a cash advance your cash advance balance should be equal to the amount that the available cash advance limit has decreased.

If it was cash advance then the fee would have been charged already. Which no one has reported yet.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:05 am

Programs: UA AA SPG HILTON AMTRAK
Have anyone tried loading serve/bb in walmart yesterday? What I worry more is if loading using credit card online has CA issues, whether in store the transactions would be coded the same thing. I mean, no longer purchase but some cash transactions. If that happens, then we would not be able to use gift cards and a lot of prepaid cards to load serve/BB even in stores...
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by cabby
I meant going into a store and purchasing giftcards with the credit card.
1. Unless the store has level III processing(which almost no one has), they can't KNOW that you are buying GC, though, of course, a bunch of 1012/505.95 charges are obviously GC purchases. At any rate, it will not code as a cash advance....

2. More generally, STOP freaking out! (And STOP calling in--RULE 1 of MS) As been said multiple times before and is now posted in the wiki, and then completely ignored by the people who apparently want the sky to fall, other charges have initiated as CA, but then POSTED AS PURCHASES. Until it actually posts, this is speculation and calling in just draws attention to your activities. Worst case, it posts as a CA, you pay it now, and you're out the 20 bucks you made doing this last month. Chill.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:09 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by mxhjustin
Have anyone tried loading serve/bb in walmart yesterday? What I worry more is if loading using credit card online has CA issues, whether in store the transactions would be coded the same thing. I mean, no longer purchase but some cash transactions. If that happens, then we would not be able to use gift cards and a lot of prepaid cards to load serve/BB even in stores...
It is 10/3 and no reports of problems. People usually load up in the first few days so I would say we would have heard the problem already.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:11 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Ok, I loaded Serve via Kate with two MCGC yesterday 10/02. Not a problem and business as usual.

Now, how can a transaction with a Debit Card (MCGC) where your funds are your funds and not the banks (credit line) can be coded as CA? And yes, my transaction yesterday was coded as Cash, LOL, but "Cash Reload" to be exact. And finally, you can not add funds with a Credit Card at Walmart to reload your Serve or BB. Using you card to buy merchandise at Walmart (paying with Serve or BB) will never be coded as CA, as you are not receiving money!!!

Ohh, and loaded Serve with Citi AA a few minutes ago and transaction went through without a problem. I have my CA line set to $0 with Citi.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:11 am

I loaded 1 OV and 1 Meta to Kate with success yesterday at noon. No issue for me.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:42 am

Loaded with my ink plus MC as a purchase after I set my cash advance limit at zero.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.