Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Chase may be coding Amex Serve as a Cash Advance (not confirmed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterCharge
DO NOT CALL CHASE ABOUT THIS
You might want to read more about this hear. http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/jpmorgan-discovers-further-cyber-security-issues/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

Oct 2nd- State of CC Loading to Serve

except to ask for a $0 cash advance limit. This can also be done via secure message.

Some Chase cardholders have reported a change in their cash advance limit after a pending charge appears for their Serve load, and they presume it means the Serve load is a cash advance. No one has reported an actual cash advance fee yet, only a pending charge of $200. This could change but this situation has happened before! In the past, such charges eventually turn into ordinary charges and the cash advance goes away.

You cannot dispute a charge while it's pending, so there's no point in asking Chase about anything that hasn't posted. No one has reported a cash advance fee, and unless you have one do not call Chase.

There are reports of a change in cash advance limits after a Serve load with the following cards::
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred
  • Chase UA Explorer Visa
  • Chase UA Club
  • Chase Ink Bold Visa
  • Also a Capital One card
  • Discover IT

There are also reports of NO cash advance when using the following cards. Note the overlap:
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred
  • Chase UA Explorer Visa
  • Chase UA Explorer MC
  • Chase British Airways Visa
  • Chase Southwest Visa
  • Also Barclay, Citi cards (Prestige, AA), Fidelity AMEX seem to be ok
  • Bank of America (Visa)

Note that some of the reports appear in the Serve thread.
Print Wikipost

Chase may be coding Amex Serve as a Cash Advance (not confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by msp3
Does a cash advance count towards the minimum spend requirement for bonuses at Chase?
No
Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:48 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by msp3
Does a cash advance count towards the minimum spend requirement for bonuses at Chase?
even if it did, that would be a very expensive way of meeting minimum spends
Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by knowledgeispower
Two $500 charges on my Chase United Explorer were coded as Cash Advance (my available cash advance limit was decreased by $1000 so I am sure of this!). They haven't posted yet but I am not hopeful of them posting as a sale.

I called Chase and they told me it was the fault of Amex who changed the coding from "Sale" to "Cash Advance" but I WAS able to get the temporary authorizations removed. Now the question is will Amex attempt to re-charge it...
I have never heard of a bank doing this
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:05 pm

Nothing so far from Chase INK
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by skibum7732
I have never heard of a bank doing this
Me neither, plus Serve confirmed as well that it can't be reversed.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:10 pm

My capital one venture shows as a cash advance from today's load. Not sure what good the card is going to be for me as it was my "easy" ms card to stay away from chase and amex.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by ckgunn01
My capital one venture shows as a cash advance from today's load. Not sure what good the card is going to be for me as it was my "easy" ms card to stay away from chase and amex.
If this was your only use for the card then it wasn't that useful to begin with
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by skibum7732
If this was your only use for the card then it wasn't that useful to begin with
Thanks for the great insight. I got two of the cards for 50k bonus and used on 2 serve card and 4 buxx cards as well as another free load prepaid card. I didnt want to use a chase card for these methods and was getting 28k points per month for $40. Never claimed to be a big time thing, but not bad for a backup card that i never had to leave the house to utilize.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ckgunn01
Thanks for the great insight. I got two of the cards for 50k bonus and used on 2 serve card and 4 buxx cards as well as another free load prepaid card. I didnt want to use a chase card for these methods and was getting 28k points per month for $40. Never claimed to be a big time thing, but not bad for a backup card that i never had to leave the house to utilize.
You are quite welcome sir....I am full of great insight (well I'm full of something anyway, but mods will smack my hand if I say it)
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:38 pm

Chase Freedom denied

My chase freedom load today was also denied. Can't confirm that it was because it a CA yet but this has never happened before...
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:44 pm

Is there a way we can blame this on the bow tie?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:45 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Chase has cut out HIGC, used to pay Lowe's LAR Accounts after Nov 23,

SMGC are now being tracked..,

Anyone think the writing us not on the wall..
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by bigugly
Is there a way we can blame this on the bow tie?
We can always find reasons to blame the bow tie guy!!!
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by yoshapman
Received cash advance for UA Explorer Visa today.
To be clear, are you stating that you have been charged a cash advance fee?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:24 pm

Chase Sapphire Preferred (VISA) - load from today (not yet posted) DID reduce the Cash Advance Available Limit, so it appears they are running through as a Cash Advance.

Bank of America (VISA) - load from today (not yet posted) DID NOT reduce the Cash Advance Available Limit.

In the past, neither Chase or Bank of America would reduce the cash advance available limit for a Serve transaction.

Last edited by andyli; Oct 2, 2014 at 9:27 pm Reason: add BofA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.