Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Chase may be coding Amex Serve as a Cash Advance (not confirmed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterCharge
DO NOT CALL CHASE ABOUT THIS
You might want to read more about this hear. http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/jpmorgan-discovers-further-cyber-security-issues/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

Oct 2nd- State of CC Loading to Serve

except to ask for a $0 cash advance limit. This can also be done via secure message.

Some Chase cardholders have reported a change in their cash advance limit after a pending charge appears for their Serve load, and they presume it means the Serve load is a cash advance. No one has reported an actual cash advance fee yet, only a pending charge of $200. This could change but this situation has happened before! In the past, such charges eventually turn into ordinary charges and the cash advance goes away.

You cannot dispute a charge while it's pending, so there's no point in asking Chase about anything that hasn't posted. No one has reported a cash advance fee, and unless you have one do not call Chase.

There are reports of a change in cash advance limits after a Serve load with the following cards::
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred
  • Chase UA Explorer Visa
  • Chase UA Club
  • Chase Ink Bold Visa
  • Also a Capital One card
  • Discover IT

There are also reports of NO cash advance when using the following cards. Note the overlap:
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred
  • Chase UA Explorer Visa
  • Chase UA Explorer MC
  • Chase British Airways Visa
  • Chase Southwest Visa
  • Also Barclay, Citi cards (Prestige, AA), Fidelity AMEX seem to be ok
  • Bank of America (Visa)

Note that some of the reports appear in the Serve thread.
Print Wikipost

Chase may be coding Amex Serve as a Cash Advance (not confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by dboston1
Any reports of Barclays cards posting as CA yet?
Page 2 of this thread has your answer
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:38 pm

I loaded $500 with my CSP yesterday. Charge is still pending but i see no change in my CA limit yet.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Looks like charges yesterday are ok, but today not ok based on my Chase load.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:54 pm

My Chase CSP declined the transaction so I switched to my Chase SW card and it went through fine (no cash advance that I can tell).

Had to send in a copy of the card and drivers license. Bummer if this goes away too then I won't have any easy MS left. I only did/do Amazon and this, others are too much work for me
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:57 pm

apart from the ca fee, be careful to not get shut down by chase for MS. they have stepped up their shut downs and now even included in their new apps. they shut for number of things not just one. i wouldn't do any ms on chase cards
Old Oct 2, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by slider34
Had to send in a copy of the card and drivers license.
How did they let you know that you need to send these docs? Emailed you after you linked new credit card?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by pier11
How did they let you know that you need to send these docs? Emailed you after you linked new credit card?
They give you a number to call then they send you an email with a link to upload your drivers license and the front of the credit card.

Then I had to call back, they confirmed, done. But could be all for not if this is truly a cash advance.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by letopeto
Everyone,

Please be aware -- chase is now coding as of today amex serve transactions as a cash advance. My transaction was declined, and after calling in to CS, found out it is being coded as a cash advance.

I luckily had the foresight to set my cash advance limit to $0, but looks like Chase is dead.
It seems like you should include a little more information if you're going to start a new thread. You didn't mention the type of card for example. NOT EVERYONE is getting a cash advance from Chase, as mentioned in the Serve thread.

There are reports of no cash advance today on:
  • UA Explorer Visa
  • UA Explorer MC
  • Sapphire Preferred
  • Southwest Visa
  • Also Barclay, Citi cards (Prestige), Fidelity AMEX

There are reports of a cash advance today on:
  • UA Club
  • UA Explorer
  • Ink Bold Visa
  • Sapphire Preferred

As you can see it's not even consistent.

Finally, in the past sometimes Chase has posted these as cash advance at first. After a few days they get changed to a regular charge. If anyone actually got a cash advance fee, you might want to share that.

Last edited by rrgg; Oct 2, 2014 at 3:54 pm
Old Oct 2, 2014, 3:57 pm

My SW Visa load subtracted $200 from my Available CA limit. Can you set CA to $0 online or do you need to call in?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
It seems like you should include a little more information if you're going to start a new thread. You didn't mention the type of card for example. NOT EVERYONE is getting a cash advance from Chase, as mentioned in the Serve thread.

There are reports of no cash advance today on:
  • UA Explorer Visa
  • UA Explorer MC
  • Sapphire Preferred
  • Southwest Visa
  • Also Barclay, Citi cards (Prestige), Fidelity AMEX

There are reports of a cash advance today on:
  • UA Club
  • UA Explorer
  • Ink Bold Visa
  • Sapphire Preferred

As you can see it's not even consistent.

Finally, in the past sometimes Chase has posted these as cash advance at first. After a few days they get changed to a regular charge. If anyone actually got a cash advance fee, you might want to share that.
But there are people with $0 CA limit that got declined...
Old Oct 2, 2014, 4:24 pm

Programs: Delta PM | US PP | Hilton Gold
I loaded $500 x 2 with my CSP. First load was yesterday (normal purchase) - Second load this morning (cash advance). I'm pissed!

I will request reimbursement from Chase if indeed true.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 4:38 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by john doe iii
I loaded $500 x 2 with my CSP. First load was yesterday (normal purchase) - Second load this morning (cash advance). I'm pissed!

I will request reimbursement from Chase if indeed true.
Really? You're going to call Chase and complain that your MS activities have been limited by their latest steps to enforce their T&Cs?

That should be an interesting conversation.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Traveluni
But there are people with $0 CA limit that got declined...
That's not relevant. Same thing happened with the Buxx. Still doesn't post as a CA. When someone's ACTUALLY POSTS as a CA, then we can all flip out. Until then, this is just someone noticing something that has already been happening and drawing conclusions that may or may not be warranted.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Really? You're going to call Chase and complain that your MS activities have been limited by their latest steps to enforce their T&Cs?

That should be an interesting conversation.
and then people would complain that Chase shut me down... I'll never do business with them again
Old Oct 2, 2014, 4:46 pm

Most probably Serve was forced by VISA (payment scheme) to change their MCC code to reflect the true nature of their business.

MasterCard is likely to follow their big brother example as they often do.

Some credit card issuers may still qualify this new MCC as purchase

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.