Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Chase may be coding Amex Serve as a Cash Advance (not confirmed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterCharge
DO NOT CALL CHASE ABOUT THIS
You might want to read more about this hear. http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/jpmorgan-discovers-further-cyber-security-issues/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

Oct 2nd- State of CC Loading to Serve

except to ask for a $0 cash advance limit. This can also be done via secure message.

Some Chase cardholders have reported a change in their cash advance limit after a pending charge appears for their Serve load, and they presume it means the Serve load is a cash advance. No one has reported an actual cash advance fee yet, only a pending charge of $200. This could change but this situation has happened before! In the past, such charges eventually turn into ordinary charges and the cash advance goes away.

You cannot dispute a charge while it's pending, so there's no point in asking Chase about anything that hasn't posted. No one has reported a cash advance fee, and unless you have one do not call Chase.

There are reports of a change in cash advance limits after a Serve load with the following cards::
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred
  • Chase UA Explorer Visa
  • Chase UA Club
  • Chase Ink Bold Visa
  • Also a Capital One card
  • Discover IT

There are also reports of NO cash advance when using the following cards. Note the overlap:
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred
  • Chase UA Explorer Visa
  • Chase UA Explorer MC
  • Chase British Airways Visa
  • Chase Southwest Visa
  • Also Barclay, Citi cards (Prestige, AA), Fidelity AMEX seem to be ok
  • Bank of America (Visa)

Note that some of the reports appear in the Serve thread.
Print Wikipost

Chase may be coding Amex Serve as a Cash Advance (not confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:51 pm

Chase getting an early start to 4th quarter earnings with some CA charges on the MSers.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:57 pm

I can confirm my transactions for Ink Bold and CSP posted as cash advances per Chase Reps.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:59 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Two $500 charges on my Chase United Explorer were coded as Cash Advance (my available cash advance limit was decreased by $1000 so I am sure of this!). They haven't posted yet but I am not hopeful of them posting as a sale.

I called Chase and they told me it was the fault of Amex who changed the coding from "Sale" to "Cash Advance" but I WAS able to get the temporary authorizations removed. Now the question is will Amex attempt to re-charge it...
Old Oct 2, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
So what is a normal CA fee?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
So what is a normal CA fee?
Depends on the card, but usually it ranges from 3% to 5% of the amount of the advance with a minimum fee of $10.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by knowledgeispower
Depends on the card, but usually it ranges from 3% to 5% of the amount of the advance with a minimum fee of $10.
...and interest's starting to accrue immediately, without grace period, I understand.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 1:30 pm

A quick question to those who have been charged as CA. Do you do bank Withdrawals of your Serve balance, or do you use it to buy stuff and pay bills?

The reason for the question: Is Serve doing blanket CA for all loads, or are they now smarter, and targeting folks who are doing CA to themselves?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 1:33 pm

I did a load from my US Bank club Carlson card this morning. Can't find anything about cash advance on their website...where should I be looking?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by dagaetch
I did a load from my US Bank club Carlson card this morning. Can't find anything about cash advance on their website...where should I be looking?
See if your Cash Advance Limit has been reduced by the amount you loaded.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Lumpylump76
See if your Cash Advance Limit has been reduced by the amount you loaded.
Huh. Interesting, I just opened the account recently and it looks like some stuff is missing. For "Credit Limit" and "Available for Cash Advance" there is just a blank space. So...I guess I'll just wait a couple days and see, not worth calling them yet.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by dagaetch
Huh. Interesting, I just opened the account recently and it looks like some stuff is missing. For "Credit Limit" and "Available for Cash Advance" there is just a blank space. So...I guess I'll just wait a couple days and see, not worth calling them yet.
It will never show up. US Bank interface sucks. They finally recently started showing pending charges in the web version.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, BAEC
Fidelity AMEX shows no change in Available Cash Advance Limit. So it would appear to me to be smooth sailing with BofA.

Edit: And I frequently withdraw to checking, so if it was Serve targeting people, I would be surprised if I didn't meet their criteria.

Last edited by Lnelson4; Oct 2, 2014 at 2:08 pm Reason: Added response to LumpyLump
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by ibleed0range
It will never show up. US Bank interface sucks. They finally recently started showing pending charges in the web version.
I see. Okay, guess I'll call tomorrow then. Thanks!
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:07 pm

Any reports of Barclays cards posting as CA yet?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by ibleed0range
You can see available credit on the app, at least the iPhone version. Can't see pending transactions though. You also can't see cash advance in the app either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.