Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Chase may be coding Amex Serve as a Cash Advance (not confirmed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterCharge
DO NOT CALL CHASE ABOUT THIS
You might want to read more about this hear. http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/jpmorgan-discovers-further-cyber-security-issues/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

Oct 2nd- State of CC Loading to Serve

except to ask for a $0 cash advance limit. This can also be done via secure message.

Some Chase cardholders have reported a change in their cash advance limit after a pending charge appears for their Serve load, and they presume it means the Serve load is a cash advance. No one has reported an actual cash advance fee yet, only a pending charge of $200. This could change but this situation has happened before! In the past, such charges eventually turn into ordinary charges and the cash advance goes away.

You cannot dispute a charge while it's pending, so there's no point in asking Chase about anything that hasn't posted. No one has reported a cash advance fee, and unless you have one do not call Chase.

There are reports of a change in cash advance limits after a Serve load with the following cards::
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred
  • Chase UA Explorer Visa
  • Chase UA Club
  • Chase Ink Bold Visa
  • Also a Capital One card
  • Discover IT

There are also reports of NO cash advance when using the following cards. Note the overlap:
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred
  • Chase UA Explorer Visa
  • Chase UA Explorer MC
  • Chase British Airways Visa
  • Chase Southwest Visa
  • Also Barclay, Citi cards (Prestige, AA), Fidelity AMEX seem to be ok
  • Bank of America (Visa)

Note that some of the reports appear in the Serve thread.
Print Wikipost

Chase may be coding Amex Serve as a Cash Advance (not confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2014, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by fandi
Please tell me what to do in this situation:
I have a Discover card (not Discover IT) with current cash advance of $2,000. I had no problem loading 5 times $200 into my Serve account until the beginning of October.
as of oct 5th, even I try to load just $20 (much less than my current CA limit of $2K) I still get denied and was told by Serve website to contact Discover.

My friend who got Discover IT card is in the same situation even though her CA limit is currently $600.

My impression is Serve was phasing out credit card loading gradually to minimize the cost having paid to credit card issuers?
Thanks a lot.
PS: I always pay off my CC balance each month.
I agree with your impression. There is something going on on serve's end and it's likely not good for CC loading in the future. Also note that the Prepaid Red card has just rolled out and it doesn't allow CC loading; this is evidence that Serve will likely phase it out too.

BTW, I have the same issue with a Discover More. Loaded in the past just fine, now Serve says that Discover is denying the charge despite my CA limits set high enough and no alert from my CC for a declined sale.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 8:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by chongwj8
Anyone able to increase CA back? It seems that they need to increase credit line in order to do that, really don't want another pull on CR.
My only advice would be....next time do not jump on the moron bandwagon and wait for actual datapoints before reacting.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 9:01 pm

So the transaction initially shows as cash advance, then later switches to purchase and all this panic is for nothing?

Not everyone using Serve is doing it to manufacture an easy $12,000/year. I'm using it to actually pay legitimate bills out every month.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by xSTRIKEx6864
So the transaction initially shows as cash advance, then later switches to purchase and all this panic is for nothing?

Not everyone using Serve is doing it to manufacture an easy $12,000/year. I'm using it to actually pay legitimate bills out every month.
I use it for illegitimate bills! Sorry--I'm just frustrated with everything that's getting shut down around me and don't really mean to take it out on you. I officially live in the worst place in the US, worse than the SF Bay Area, to MS.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by xSTRIKEx6864

LOL, I actually pay bills with mine too. However, if you are loading w a cc then you are MS'ing, but maybe you load directly from your checking acct
Old Oct 5, 2014, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by mreno43
I agree with your impression. There is something going on on serve's end and it's likely not good for CC loading in the future. Also note that the Prepaid Red card has just rolled out and it doesn't allow CC loading; this is evidence that Serve will likely phase it out too.

BTW, I have the same issue with a Discover More. Loaded in the past just fine, now Serve says that Discover is denying the charge despite my CA limits set high enough and no alert from my CC for a declined sale.
I agree with this. I loaded Discover card on 10/1 with no issues. Ever since the 2nd I keep getting "card has been declined, call Discover". Called Discover to make sure they didnt block my card and two reps stated they didn't see any attempted charges on their end! Just tried with Wells ProperWorld card and it went through fine. Have not checked for a CA on that card yet.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by GimmeMoreMiles
Once the transactions convert to a "purchase" the CA limit goes back up to its original limit. Big deal.
Mine did not go back up to the original limit. And the transaction posted today as a sale.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:36 pm

Interesting note on this:

I do two of everything, one for me and one for my father, and reap 2x the rewards.

Through this all, my Chase Freedom went through fine, while my father's Chase Freedom got declined. Both have more than enough cash advance limits. Same exact card, different rules.

Kept trying on my dad's, kept getting declined. Until tonight. Tried again, and Serve sent it through.

In summation, I do think this is mostly much ado about nothing, however, the ease at which we play the game IS coming to an end. I miss the good old days of easy CC money and 5% interest on liquid savings accounts.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 1:05 am

Both Chase Sapphire Pref (used to work) and Ink Bold denied due to Chase processing this as CA.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by skibum7732
LOL, I actually pay bills with mine too. However, if you are loading w a cc then you are MS'ing, but maybe you load directly from your checking acct
I disagree, unless you are putting money into serve to pay the card bill you loaded it with. If you're loading serve to pay other bills, you're not "manufacturing" spend. That's real spend.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, DL Diamond 1MM, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AMEX 2015 Centurion
Another data point with chase. Did a serve/softcard load on 10/4 with my CSP, no problem. It lowered CA by 500$, as we have all observed. On 10/5 (next day) the serve load posted as payment but CA hadn't refilled. My CA limit is 5,000$ so I figured that i would be fine to load again. I tried loading another 500$ with CSP, and got "declined by card issuer". This morning (10/6), the initial 500$ CA had disappeared and limit was full again. I tried loading another 500$ and transaction went thru with no problems.

It seems, with chase, we may have to wait until CA is at full to load again but YMMV!
Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:28 am

Loaded $200 on 10/3 on BA VI- posted as sale, did not see CA limit decrease.

Today loaded $200 on BA VI - pending, do see CA limit down by $200. Expect it will post as a sale, and will report back whatever the result.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by frequentflier2014
Ink Bold denied due to Chase processing this as CA.

Was this recent as maybe the rules changed?. I remember using my Ink Bold last year to help make minimum spend for bonus and it went through.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: UR(ink bold; Freedom), Skymiles Silver, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold)
Originally Posted by ctaul
I agree with this. I loaded Discover card on 10/1 with no issues. Ever since the 2nd I keep getting "card has been declined, call Discover". Called Discover to make sure they didnt block my card and two reps stated they didn't see any attempted charges on their end! Just tried with Wells ProperWorld card and it went through fine. Have not checked for a CA on that card yet.

Exact same thing here, on Discover More. 10/1 was okay, but nothing 10/2 onward. Both Discover and Serve have been called multiple times and both are denying fault.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by sharka
Was this recent as maybe the rules changed?. I remember using my Ink Bold last year to help make minimum spend for bonus and it went through.
Chase did not use to process serve load as CA. I have successfully used ink+ with 0 CA limit in the past. On the other hand I was never able to use ink+ to load USB Buxx, because it attempts to process it as a CA. However, its seems now that Chase is processing serve loads as CA, but it is posting as purchase. Whether in the near future it will start posting as CA is anybody's guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.