Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inmate depositing services

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2014, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Inmate depositing services

Has anyone tried the services which allow you to deposit to the accounts of inmates?

Looks like some take debit card. I haven't signed up for any services yet, and there seem to be many... Since I'm running into issues with my new bank accounts and money orders (getting holds, complaints, phone calls, etc) I need more methods.

An example of one is gettingout.com.

Just an idea..
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Yeah, that sounds like a group of folks you really want to get into business with...
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Fortunately, I do not know any convicts so I will have to pass on this one
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL, BA, AA
Originally Posted by aGeist
Has anyone tried the services which allow you to deposit to the accounts of inmates?

Looks like some take debit card. I haven't signed up for any services yet, and there seem to be many... Since I'm running into issues with my new bank accounts and money orders (getting holds, complaints, phone calls, etc) I need more methods.

An example of one is gettingout.com.

Just an idea..
There are banks that will accept at least some money orders without any problems. Most will take a limited number, of course each bank is different.

What are they telling you? Are they actually putting long holds on the money orders?

What have they told you over the phone about why they are rejecting the money orders, if they are?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:29 pm

is it just me, or does it seem like the demographic of the MSer previous to the hobby having a name and broad exposure was ~35+ with above average income, did their own homework and understood discretion. And now 19-22, perhaps unemployed/student living off MSing 5% Amex old blue?

a high correlation between this and how long things last as well.

as for the OP and this incredible idea.... do i smell a new BA blogger in the making...
Old Sep 30, 2014, 4:25 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Wow, the things I learn on FT on a daily basis
Old Sep 30, 2014, 4:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
is it just me, or does it seem like the demographic of the MSer previous to the hobby having a name and broad exposure was ~35+ with above average income, did their own homework and understood discretion. And now 19-22, perhaps unemployed/student living off MSing 5% Amex old blue?

as for the OP and this incredible idea.... do i smell a new BA blogger in the making...
No, it's not just you
Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

I feel like this is directed to me, although I am closer to the second group than the first. And what HH _aren't_ relying predominately on BlueCash? (now that amex gc portal has disappeared...)

I originally posted this as a somewhat joke but it's valid. I've noticed many of those services accept debit/credit without a fee. I was thinking what would happen if they had to issue a refund due to some issue (such as an inmate being 'released'), etc.

This is similar to when an edu has to refund your tuition due to dropped class. Some will accept debit/credit with no fee and refund to your bank account.

As for the MOs, new bank accounts just get overly skittish on MO's. I had opened an account and deposited 3.5k in MO, withdrew a couple weeks later and today went to deposit 4k and there was a note on my account to put a hold for 7 days and I was told a lady would email me later.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldtravels
There are banks that will accept at least some money orders without any problems. Most will take a limited number, of course each bank is different.

What are they telling you? Are they actually putting long holds on the money orders?

What have they told you over the phone about why they are rejecting the money orders, if they are?
None have rejected MO but they ask questions about job and such and these aren't day after day deposits as I deposit in a different bank each day due to the various way I travel to deposit 6k in MO...

I think I'm going to start aging the accounts more before i start hitting with MO.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:30 pm

Programs: United Silver
It's an interesting idea.. out of the box for sure.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:50 pm

I am assuming you will be depositing the money into the account and then withdrawing it shortly thereafter. That is a terrible idea. These things do not work. While there are certainly people who use T-Mobile cards to buy $1,000+ products at WM, people who use BC to buy $1,000+ worth of groceries, people who buy $1,000+ worth of items at CVS, etc., no one, absolutely no one, deposits money into these accounts and immediately withdraws it. They will shut you down and make it a huge pain to get your money back.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
None have rejected MO but they ask questions about job and such and these aren't day after day deposits as I deposit in a different bank each day due to the various way I travel to deposit 6k in MO...

I think I'm going to start aging the accounts more before i start hitting with MO.
I run a computer repair business on the weekends and evenings. Parts and labor are very expensive and most of my customers pay in cash. I'm not comfortable keeping that much cash on hand so I get MOs. Simple and believable.

Get enough bank accounts and you only have to deposit once a week in each regardless of your MO volume. Let it sit for a few weeks and ACH or BP.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:56 pm

Based on things I have read here over the past few months I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of posters may be using this service as intended
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
I feel like this is directed to me, although I am closer to the second group than the first. And what HH _aren't_ relying predominately on BlueCash? (now that amex gc portal has disappeared...)

I originally posted this as a somewhat joke but it's valid. I've noticed many of those services accept debit/credit without a fee. I was thinking what would happen if they had to issue a refund due to some issue (such as an inmate being 'released'), etc.

This is similar to when an edu has to refund your tuition due to dropped class. Some will accept debit/credit with no fee and refund to your bank account.

As for the MOs, new bank accounts just get overly skittish on MO's. I had opened an account and deposited 3.5k in MO, withdrew a couple weeks later and today went to deposit 4k and there was a note on my account to put a hold for 7 days and I was told a lady would email me later.
au contraire mon frere
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:47 am

Programs: All

Off topic but no, it is not just you. These kids these days with their "hit it quick and kill it" mentality get me steamed. Why in my day I had to walk five miles through snow, up hill both ways, just to do a no fee balance transfer that earned points.

Now get off my lawn!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.