Can't Use CCs for Buying GCs at W-D Miami

Old Sep 24, 14, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Several dozen
Can't Use CCs for Buying GCs at W-D Miami

Used CC for buying GC on 9/23 with no problem.

On 9/24 the Winn-Dixie register refused all credit cards used (even after accepting signature). Manager confirmed the hard coding of the register - it is now cash or debit card only for GCs. JFTR - W-D on Coral Way, Miami.

W-D, Amazon Payments RIP.
Old Sep 24, 14, 9:23 pm

the noose tightens.
Old Sep 24, 14, 9:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Yikes! Will test tomorrow in my neck of the woods. WD has been a great asset in MS for me. I hope this is local but a hard coded cash register does not sound local.
Old Sep 25, 14, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Noose may have tightened on W-D as I am getting a pending transaction on my AMEX card, although gift card transaction did not complete and gift card was not released to me. If it goes from pending to completed, W-D gets a free audit and fraud examination!
Old Sep 25, 14, 11:19 am

Slowly but surely, previously friendly merchants are having to shut this type of spending down.
Old Sep 25, 14, 12:53 pm

In the variable gift card grocery thread someone else mentioned WD shutting down ccs for his area, as well. Mine is still up and running as of yesterday. I've hit three locations in the last several days, no problems at any of them.

*fingers crossed*

ETA: We're actually discussing it in the Old Blue thread for some reason.
Old Sep 25, 14, 1:59 pm

Fraud has everything to do with this IMO. Just today I found out my local RA had pulled all their $500 VGC stock behind the counter because some idiots came in and swiped CCs that didn't work.
Old Sep 25, 14, 7:45 pm

Bought 2 GCs at 2 different WD this morning and this evening in central FL. No problems
Old Sep 25, 14, 9:07 pm
jza

Programs: UA, AA, MP, RR
I just bought RL at WD today no problem. OTOH, two different CVS that I frequent told today that all gift cards are now cash only. I was trying to buy Paypal cash cards in both cases.
Old Sep 26, 14, 5:40 pm

My WD is also fine as of 10 minutes ago. My guess is they just blocked ADK because he accounts for 95% of all the MS in Florida.
Old Sep 26, 14, 10:23 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by nmp0 View Post
My WD is also fine as of 10 minutes ago. My guess is they just blocked ADK because he accounts for 95% of all the MS in Florida.
+1, LOL

They can not keep low on the amounts per visit, they always have to go for the huge amounts.
Old Sep 26, 14, 10:50 pm

Programs: US Airways Chmn,SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond,Club Carlson Gold,Hyatt Plat,Avis FP,IHG Plat,Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jza View Post
I just bought RL at WD today no problem. OTOH, two different CVS that I frequent told today that all gift cards are now cash only. I was trying to buy Paypal cash cards in both cases.
In my area CVS has always been cash only on all except for VR RIP, and OV, so now the only card I buy from CVS is OV.
Old Sep 27, 14, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Now, now I just own Miami to Key West. If this is just a Miami-Dade lockdown, then I may have to bag my groceries outta town. So keep an eye out in your local Florida W-D for a shady character with a Panama Hat, shady shades and a cheap Hawaiian Shirt carrying a blue Banco Mercantil bag filled with gift cards.

Originally Posted by nmp0 View Post
Old Sep 27, 14, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

W-D just won a free audit and fraud examination for charging my AMEX for $1011.90 for gift cards it retained and did not sell to me! I warned their management two days ago to retain all the gift cards in question, but management assured me then that the charges would not go from pending to posted. W-D has risk exposure if those 2 cards are activated and get used.

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy View Post
Noose may have tightened on W-D as I am getting a pending transaction on my AMEX card, although gift card transaction did not complete and gift card was not released to me. If it goes from pending to completed, W-D gets a free audit and fraud examination!
Old Sep 28, 14, 12:25 am

Programs: HILTON:DIAMOND, MARRIOTT: Gold
Have the W-D manager call 866-946-6349 and file a report for you, You will need your receipts and the manager should have the GCs in question. They will check into the situation and reverse the charges or release the GCs in question to you if they have been loaded.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: