Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

New Iphone release buy and sell just to MS

Old Sep 11, 14, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

My brother bought 10 phones last time just to resell on ebay on Preorder and actually sold them all with a minor profit to get his for free in end, has anyone else done this to do MS?
Old Sep 11, 14, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
My brother bought 10 phones last time just to resell on ebay on Preorder and actually sold them all with a minor profit to get his for free in end, has anyone else done this to do MS?
Too much work.
Old Sep 11, 14, 12:56 pm

If I recall correctly, last year Apple did not allowed to buy Unlock iPhones on their Pre-Order I guess.

This time it is available for Pre-Order via T-Mobile. This can be good, if done in large quantity 100 and ship/sell to countries like india.
Old Sep 11, 14, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ericdabbs View Post
Too much work.
Less work than going to buy cards and then going to buy MO and then going to deposit them

Apple's iPhone 6 is available in 16, 64, and 128 GB capacities in the United States for $199, $299, and $399, respectively, with a two-year contract. Contract-free pricing begins at $649. Apple's higher-priced iPhone 6 Plus is available in 16, 64, and 128 GB capacities for $299, $399, and $499, respectively, with a two-year contract. Contract-free pricing on that device begins at $749.

Last edited by kingrat; Sep 11, 14 at 2:03 pm
Old Sep 11, 14, 2:32 pm

All it takes is one bad buyer to claim you sent him a brick to get severely burned. If you are going to sell on ebay, your margins have to be better than this.
Old Sep 11, 14, 2:37 pm

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
Yeah...ebay takes 10% off the top, then PayPal takes an additional 2%. Not worth the hassle.
Old Sep 11, 14, 2:53 pm

If you live in a big city selling them on Craigslist for Cash only might be a better option.

This worked much better on older iphone releases when some foreign countries would not get the release at the same time and would pay a few hundred dollar premium for the phone.
Old Sep 11, 14, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by daw4888 View Post
If you live in a big city selling them on Craigslist for Cash only might be a better option.

This worked much better on older iphone releases when some foreign countries would not get the release at the same time and would pay a few hundred dollar premium for the phone.
This actually still happens even when the phone isn't new. The Apple store in Delaware sells more iPhones than anywhere in the world. Delaware is sales tax free and after currency conversion the US is one of if not the cheapest place in the world to buy the phone so people from from China, India, etc. and buy 100s at a time. There is a dedicated area in the store just for these bulk iPhone purchases.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/apple...ry?id=20650009
Old Sep 11, 14, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
Originally Posted by payeco View Post
This actually still happens even when the phone isn't new. The Apple store in Delaware sells more iPhones than anywhere in the world. Delaware is sales tax free and after currency conversion the US is one of if not the cheapest place in the world to buy the phone so people from from China, India, etc. and buy 100s at a time. There is a dedicated area in the store just for these bulk iPhone purchases.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/apple...ry?id=20650009
Now there's an idea. I'm going to AUS in a month, and I can get the fones tax free. hmmm.....
Old Sep 11, 14, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by jtrue28 View Post
Yeah...ebay takes 10% off the top, then PayPal takes an additional 2%. Not worth the hassle.
Swappa.com takes $10 flat fee. Not that bad. I sell on there frequently.
Old Sep 11, 14, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
Less work than going to buy cards and then going to buy MO and then going to deposit them

Apple's iPhone 6 is available in 16, 64, and 128 GB capacities in the United States for $199, $299, and $399, respectively, with a two-year contract. Contract-free pricing begins at $649. Apple's higher-priced iPhone 6 Plus is available in 16, 64, and 128 GB capacities for $299, $399, and $499, respectively, with a two-year contract. Contract-free pricing on that device begins at $749.
Except that its not just $199, 299 and 399. Its a complete fallacy that you only pay $199, 299 and 399. There are sales taxes that you have to pay on the retail price of 649, 749 and 849. After activation fees on top of that of typically $36 you are looking at the 16 GB model to be around $300. Like others have said it just takes 1 buyer for you to get burned and not to mention all the fees you incur with Ebay and PP.

If it is just 1 time that is fine but if you are saying for a prolong period its not worth the hassle. If you go through CL...you have to deal with flakers and hagglers who try to lowball you. Sure you can still make a profit but then again you have to drive and meet them up which still takes up your time as well.

With loading GCs...if you time it right...you can do your $5K/month load in 1 WM trip.
Old Sep 11, 14, 4:14 pm

Yeah I'm planning on buying and selling because this time around China isn't one of the launch countries and the phone will be in very high demand so high prices on eBay.

Is there a way to use points with good redemption rates to basically get most of the iPhone paid for?
Old Sep 11, 14, 4:15 pm

It's not worth the hassle anymore, especially since Apple released a while ago that they need to have more product available at release which means they're not that hard to get anymore..

I wouldn't bother..
Old Sep 11, 14, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by jtrue28 View Post
If you have an ebay store its only 6% on Iphones.

I did this in the past with Macbooks and Ipads using student discounts coupled with 10% back on BB car and using rewards portals.

After all the fees and shipping cost came out with a small profit plus points.

It is somewhat of a PITA because you have to ship stuff etc.

This is good for meeting high min spend though becuase of the high value of the items.....i.e. $1000 for Macbook Air.

You can use craigslist an other places without fees but you wont sell 50 Macbooks in a month like you can on Ebay.
Old Sep 11, 14, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by aceofcards View Post
Yeah I'm planning on buying and selling because this time around China isn't one of the launch countries and the phone will be in very high demand so high prices on eBay.

Is there a way to use points with good redemption rates to basically get most of the iPhone paid for?
You only option would be if someone had a good redemption rate on Apple Store GCs and I'd be surprised if you found anything that redeemed better than 1 cent per point. NOT ITUNES GCs. Those will not work in store. I've also yet to see a store that carries GCs to the actual Apple Store so you couldn't really even get a good CB percentage or points/miles multiplier.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: