Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Apple Pay just changed the MS GAME!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2014, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by rtraveler
It'll be interesting to see if/how CurrentC can be utilized in the MS game. Coming in 2015.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...king-apple-pay

"Objections to Apple Pay aren’t actually about convenience, reliability, or security—they are about a burgeoning war between a consortium of merchants, led by Walmart, and the credit card companies. Rite-Aid, CVS, Walmart, Best-Buy and about 50 other retailers have been working on their own mobile payments system, called CurrentC. Unlike Apple Pay, which works in conjunction with Visa, Mastercard, and American Express, CurrentC cuts out the credit card networks altogether. The benefit to the merchants is clear: They would save the swipe fees they pay to the credit card companies now, which average about two percent of the cost of transactions."
GL with CurrentC. It is a direct withdrawal from your checking account.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:28 am
jmw

Originally Posted by avagyan
Has to be "Apple Pay has nothing to do with the MS GAME!"
I bought the damn iPhone because of the damn catchphrase
Now I'm missing on deals from ISIS/softcard. They have to open NFC for devs to have a chance with currentC IMO
For the first time, I purchased a phone based upon how much the mobile payment processors were going to pay. Softcard is basically paying for my phone.

The problem with iPhone was that there was nothing subsidizing the purchase.

If Apple Pay was compensating me like Softcard, I'd get an iPhone in addition to the Android. That doesn't seem like it's going to happen.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by RoyMan
Went to Subway today and bought a bag of chips with it..lets see if it comes through as 2x on my sapphire. It was super easy and quick though!!
2x indeed..also shows it as a 'blink' transaction. Cool stuff.

Old Oct 27, 2014, 3:01 pm

Don't have WF, but here is a $20 statement credit to counterweight your all ISIS sympathizer friends. At least something. Will hope others will follow quick
https://www.wellsfargo.com/jump/cred...edit-apple-pay
Old Oct 27, 2014, 3:07 pm

Also, we're anti-currentC, right? We should persuade apple to make friend with softcard in order to destroy curentC
Old Oct 27, 2014, 3:14 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Apple, retailers at odds over mobile payments
"When retailers CVS and Rite Aid disabled access to Apple Pay over the weekend, the companies kicked a consumer hornet's nest.

Angry customer tweets followed the sudden shutdown Sunday, with some Apple Pay users implying they would stop shopping at the pharmacies."

Maybe there is hope that the reaction to shutting down NFC will provoke CVS to allow those types of payments again?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...entc/18010871/
Old Oct 27, 2014, 3:21 pm

Don't have WF, but here is a $20 statement credit to counterweight your all ISIS sympathizer friends. At least something. Will hope others will follow quick
https://www.wellsfargo.com/jump/cred...edit-apple-pay
nice.

should I mention that Softcard/Isis paid me about $1500 since this winter?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MaineCoon
nice.

should I mention that Softcard/Isis paid me about $1500 since this winter?
If it's germane, sure, mention it. If not . . .
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:13 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Wonder if Cary Cheney was in on the CVS decision. Haters will be haters!

Originally Posted by northy989
Apple, retailers at odds over mobile payments
"When retailers CVS and Rite Aid disabled access to Apple Pay over the weekend, the companies kicked a consumer hornet's nest.

Angry customer tweets followed the sudden shutdown Sunday, with some Apple Pay users implying they would stop shopping at the pharmacies."

Maybe there is hope that the reaction to shutting down NFC will provoke CVS to allow those types of payments again?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...entc/18010871/
Old Oct 27, 2014, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
If it's germane, sure, mention it. If not . . .
no, it is absolutely not related.
One NFC system vs another.

it is not germane.
it is britaine.
or frenche.
or maybe polishe.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by exarkun
GL with CurrentC. It is a direct withdrawal from your checking account.
Or a "prepaid card".
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:19 am

Also, we're anti-currentC, right? We should persuade apple to make friend with softcard in order to destroy curentC
According to this article, CurrentC will self destruct on it's own. It was created to help retailers avoid cc fees and is not very user friendly. It also collects health data on those who use it. "CurrentC notes it may share info with your device maker, app store, or developer tool makers. Oddly, it will collect health data."

http://techcrunch.com/2014/10/25/currentc/
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:43 am

I think we should be anti-CurrentC. Not only does it appear to be impractical to use, but given retailers sometimes get hacked, why would I give them an access path to ACH money out of my account without the same level of protection that is given to me through a credit card. At least there is a dispute process before you have to pay your bill rather than fighting with the bank after the money is missing from your account.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hbiglin
I think we should be anti-CurrentC. Not only does it appear to be impractical to use, but given retailers sometimes get hacked, why would I give them an access path to ACH money out of my account without the same level of protection that is given to me through a credit card. At least there is a dispute process before you have to pay your bill rather than fighting with the bank after the money is missing from your account.
I don't think the retailer gets the ACH info. Just CurrentC.

But I agree on the bigger question - why would I use this instead of my credit card?

I don't think this poses a serious threat to Apple Pay. This is just some short-term jockeying until these guys realize they have to give up on their investments.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:01 pm

What is this an apple pay developer forum? Some sad apple fan boyism going on around here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.