FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   MS social events & gathering threads (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1600196-ms-social-events-gathering-threads.html)

tcook052 Aug 4, 2014 5:15 pm

MS social events & gathering threads

While the Manufactured Spending forum moderators understand and appreciate the natural inclination to post social events within the MS forum all such threads will be relocated to the Community Buzz forum which is the traditional FT venue of such discussions. This sticky will serve as a permanent way to promote local get togethers with links only and members are asked to keep the wiki current just like any other thread wiki post.

This sticky is not the place for gauging interest in an MS meet-up and such posts will also be deleted or relocated to the Community Buzz forum.

Thanks,

tcook052 on behalf of the Manufactured Spending forum moderators

commdiver Aug 6, 2014 6:25 pm

I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade and am being 100% serious, but what is the point of these meetups? I am probably mistaken, but it would seem that you would have a few people who really know what they are doing and a bunch of beginners show up just to get the "secrets". Then, when someone says, "Hey, Store X has a really lax GC policy", that place would be swarmed the next day. Seems like a lose-lose situation for everyone.

Do not get me wrong, I regularly share secrets via PM and am always happy to do so, but that is much more controlled.

zeppoloveskafka Aug 6, 2014 8:28 pm

I think if the numbers are low enough, sharing some things can be helpful. I have a store that sells MO only to me, and no, I'm not eager to reveal it, because I feel that 2 or 3 other people would be enough to cause issues. But I have a Rite-Aid that sells Money-paks, and I think will continue to do so until management tells otherwise, and that is info that could be traded. I know of a Rite-Aid that sells MO, but it is not conveniently located to me, but it could be great for somebody else. Buying meta cards can be a really big hassle at supermarkets...knowing which stores are lax can help, and it's probably better to have all of the people buying at one friendly store, as opposed to spread out at troubled stores.

Overall sharing info is net positive, especially since most of us operate in fairly narrow areas.

AFAM-DFW Aug 12, 2014 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by commdiver (Post 23322243)
I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade and am being 100% serious, but what is the point of these meetups? I am probably mistaken, but it would seem that you would have a few people who really know what they are doing and a bunch of beginners show up just to get the "secrets". Then, when someone says, "Hey, Store X has a really lax GC policy", that place would be swarmed the next day. Seems like a lose-lose situation for everyone.

Do not get me wrong, I regularly share secrets via PM and am always happy to do so, but that is much more controlled.

From the DFW group after a couple meetings, I think that the meetings are some giving, some taking and a program that works. I always look forward to next month.

Mrmeatus Aug 22, 2014 2:37 pm

Maybe Im confused but aren't all MS meetings done at the local Kate when there's more than one person in line?:D

NewbieRunner Aug 31, 2014 5:55 am

'Denver Manufactured Spending Group' thread in CommunityBuzz has been closed and the link in the wiki removed since no information about any meeting has been posted in the thread despite a reminder in the thread and a PM to the organizer.

NewbieRunner
Co-moderator, CommunityBuzz

nthoangga Sep 10, 2014 11:11 am

Did the DFW meeting group got shut down or something? I don't see it in the list anymore

Mamibear Sep 10, 2014 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by nthoangga (Post 23505187)
Did the DFW meeting group got shut down or something? I don't see it in the list anymore

I read in a blog they are still scheduling regular meetings.

NewbieRunner Sep 14, 2014 8:28 am

Originally Posted by nthoangga (Post 23505187)

It is now since the OP has deleted the first post as well as the wiki and the thread no longer serves any useful purpose. If any further meetings are planned please send PM so the thread can be re-opened.

NewbieRunner
Co-moderator, CommunityBuzz

ddavid1101 Dec 26, 2014 9:15 am

Originally Posted by AFAM-DFW (Post 23353331)
From the DFW group after a couple meetings, I think that the meetings are some giving, some taking and a program that works. I always look forward to next month.

There's a meetup in DFW? Can you provide thread/details?

tcook052 Dec 28, 2014 9:25 am

Originally Posted by ddavid1101 (Post 24054676)
There's a meetup in DFW? Can you provide thread/details?

As is noted in post #9 the thread in Community forum on DFW MS meetings has been closed since nobody was posting details of date & location. All events posted must be open to all FT members and if they aren't they will not be promoted on FT.

Joshy119 Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

This thread appears dead but I will give it a go. Wondering if anyone or any small group wants to meet and discuss all things manufactured spending/churning in the Chicago area at some point? Can be as simple as a Starbucks in the South Loop or someplace similar. Cheers, Josh

cyclonemiler Sep 27, 2015 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Joshy119 (Post 25483474)
This thread appears dead but I will give it a go. Wondering if anyone or any small group wants to meet and discuss all things manufactured spending/churning in the Chicago area at some point? Can be as simple as a Starbucks in the South Loop or someplace similar. Cheers, Josh

I'm down in Peoria, so getting up to Chicago to discuss may be difficult, but I'd be interested in exchanging ideas on what each of us are doing and what's successful in the IL area.

jsfalcon1 Nov 24, 2015 2:16 pm

I live on the near north side. I am fairly new to the game but have been doing a little MS

FindAWay Nov 24, 2015 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Joshy119 (Post 25483474)

Originally Posted by jsfalcon1 (Post 25766867)
I live on the near north side. I am fairly new to the game but have been doing a little MS

FT has a very active Chicago community. While not limited to MS (though many who attend do MS), you may each want to join one of the many Chicago-area events posted in CommunityBuzz!