Popmoney liquidate GCs online

Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Popmoney liquidate GCs online

Here's another Square/Venmo/Ribbon-like service that let's you cash out gift cards without having to deal with the zoo at the local WM.

https://www.popmoney.com/

It costs 0.95 to send money and there is a $1000, 30 day rolling limit. Funds are available the next day and can be transferred directly to a bank account. No SSN is required, just some light identity verification (name/address need to match.) So we might be able to treat this like AP (A->B, B->A for liquidating 2000$/month per pair)

Interestingly, when you add a debit card, it lists Visa, Mastercard, Prepaid Mastercard, and Prepaid Visas as valid options. So this may mean they are OK with some level of MS. It was a no-go adding a OneVanilla VGC, but I was able to add a $200 Meta VGC from Best Buy. Unfortunately, I liquidated the balance on this card long ago so I wasn't able to test the transfer.

The site seems legit, with coverage from various established media outlets and lists contact emails and phone numbers in the FAQ. They are licensed as a money transmitter in New York under the ownership of

CheckFreePay Corporation of New York
15 Sterling Drive
Wallingford, CT 06492 7544

who apparently also process BP at WM.

Does anyone have experience with this service?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:40 am

With such a small limit and inability to do OVs, this isn't terribly useful. Especially if it can't do Amex.

Would have been a great way to unload AFT!
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:49 am

I know that one of my banks offers their service as well. Might be a good way to dump some $200 GC from the Ofc Supp Stores.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Tuppins
I know that one of my banks offers their service as well. Might be a good way to dump some $200 GC from the Ofc Supp Stores.
First thing I thought of. Sucks I don't have any to try it with.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
One of my checking accounts I use for MS also has this service but I had no idea what it was an never looked in to it. This is good to know. I'm planning on buying a ton of Best Buy VGCs soon to get my GF and I a set of Bose QC15s for free so this will be a big help in liquidating them.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by payeco
One of my checking accounts I use for MS also has this service but I had no idea what it was an never looked in to it. This is good to know. I'm planning on buying a ton of Best Buy VGCs soon to get my GF and I a set of Bose QC15s for free so this will be a big help in liquidating them.
What checking account is that?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by shenxing
Interestingly, when you add a debit card, it lists Visa, Mastercard, Prepaid Mastercard, and Prepaid Visas as valid options. So this may mean they are OK with some level of MS. It was a no-go adding a OneVanilla VGC...
Given that an OV is a Prepaid Visa, it likely means it's just vanillas once again.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

I just successfully added a vanilla visa gift card (the other type sold at CVS.)

The OneVanilla gives the error
"We are unable to process your request.
You cannot add this card since Popmoney transactions cannot be made with this card. Please try a different card."

Maybe there is a card-specific block.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:37 pm

Tried with a USBank 5er MCGC from Krogs and it didn't work. That is it let me enter it and it automatically classified as a MC prepaid, but the transfer didn't go through. Not sure what the issue is, but they also immediately suspended my account after the attempt failed...until I call in. Probably just won't call in.

Attempted transfer of 498 (leaving .95 for the fee and 1$ in case of test pull).

No missing balance from GC. Just hope GC will still work at Wally.

Last edited by mreno43; Jul 25, 2014 at 12:38 pm Reason: Clarified point of failure.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:41 pm

I actually had $14 on a BBY VGC and tried to send out a payment but got the following error:

We are unable to process your request.
We are unable to complete this transaction. Please confirm the CVV and the card information, including the billing address and expiration, on the My Profile tab.

Any guesses? Do I have to register the card?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by jorge18
ally.com
can be one of them
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: SW CP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
I actually had $14 on a BBY VGC and tried to send out a payment but got the following error:

We are unable to complete this transaction. Please confirm the CVV and the card information, including the billing address and expiration, on the My Profile tab.

I would say yes...I am pretty sure the card needs to be registered before any online activity.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

For most prepaid cards you can set a zip for online purchases. This is probably the issue.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:49 pm

Got the same error before they emailed me to tell me my account is suspended. My GC was registered. See my earlier post for deets.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Actually two of my MS checking accounts have it. PNC and Citizens Bank.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.