Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

So, an IRS Special Agent just stopped by...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So, an IRS Special Agent just stopped by...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Being in the federal legal community, the investigative procedure of this IRS agent is pretty unusual. However, I have seen a few cases where an IRS agent will visit a residence or place of business described in the initial post in this section to see if the person will talk without counsel since if you bring someone downtown for questioning most savvy people will invoke their Miranda rights as soon as they get into the office. I am not saying this incident did or didn’t happen as described but if it did it raises tough questions about whether you should ever talk to the agent without counsel present. Maybe the IRS has different policies by region but normally if they get to the point of sending someone to speak to you, you are in trouble even if you are innocent. If you speak to the agent without counsel you then run a risk of accidently incriminating yourself.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by vagrants
You don't understand MS is then. Nothing can be created from "thin air". In this game, there is always a loser(s). Just because you can't figure who's the loser(s) is doesn't mean there is no loser(s).
Whatever makes you happy. May be you understand it all - time to go blog.

We all make money by exploiting OPM (banks, processors, vendors, high-interest payers). Don't consider the effort of buying and liquidating as your expense/ labor. Using a 5% cashback card, purchase a $500 GC paying 2.95-5.95 in fee, liquidating it for $1 (about there), profiting ~ $18-$21. Tell me what gives you the entitlement? Free world dude. Live or Move on!

If that did not make sense to you - I am the looser.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:31 pm

Nothing can be created from "thin air"
FALSE.

we all know the gub ment can and does print money out of thin air.it has been going on for several years now, our fiat currency is backed by thin air
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
FALSE.

we all know the gub ment can and does print money out of thin air.it has been going on for several years now, our fiat currency is backed by thin air
As opposed to a shiny metal that possesses not significantly more in the way of tangible "value", outside of industrial use
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tester22
Being in the federal legal community, the investigative procedure of this IRS agent is pretty unusual. However, I have seen a few cases where an IRS agent will visit a residence or place of business described in the initial post in this section to see if the person will talk without counsel since if you bring someone downtown for questioning most savvy people will invoke their Miranda rights as soon as they get into the office. I am not saying this incident did or didn’t happen as described but if it did it raises tough questions about whether you should ever talk to the agent without counsel present. Maybe the IRS has different policies by region but normally if they get to the point of sending someone to speak to you, you are in trouble even if you are innocent. If you speak to the agent without counsel you then run a risk of accidently incriminating yourself.
I did later clarify they had stopped by when I was not home and left a business card. I did call my CPA to confirm what I should and should not say - his advice was just to find out what they were interested in and let them know I can follow up with answers to any of their questions.

Once I learned it was only about the money order deposits, it really was a short coversation.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 2:10 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by ChurnandBurn
I did later clarify they had stopped by when I was not home and left a business card. I did call my CPA to confirm what I should and should not say - his advice was just to find out what they were interested in and let them know I can follow up with answers to any of their questions.

Once I learned it was only about the money order deposits, it really was a short coversation.
Seriously, thanks for taking the time and effort to post your experience.

The biggest concern most posters originally had about money order deposits was Structuring. Several posters have argued that Structuring does not apply to money order deposits. They may or may not be correct. I do not know because I find that area of law almost impossible to read. Sometimes it will reference any attempt to avoid reporting described in Title _______ or Chapter _______ by using any Instrument defined in Title __________, and it would seem almost impossible to try to determine if money orders are referenced anywhere in those massive other areas of law. And I have never read an article by an attorney that fully said yes or no to this question. I just don't know what the answer is.

When a person reads Structuring cases, it so often involves a visit from law enforcement where they keep asking "why did you choose to deposit this specific amount". So often the target says he or she did so because they heard that going over a certain amount triggers paperwork. Then the government has the target admitting to the crime.

I am not saying that anyone Structures, regardless of whether those rules apply to money orders purchased with prepaid cards or debit cards. Most posters choose the amount of money orders they purchase and deposit based on factors such as how many prepaid cards can be accepted at the cash register, and/or what their daily debit card limit is, without any regard to the paperwork that might be filed based on purchases or deposits.

But it is useful to know whether the questions went down that track, or whether they were just interested in the source of the money orders and the cash used to purchase them. So thanks again for posting your experience.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by toxicity
As opposed to a shiny metal that possesses not significantly more in the way of tangible "value", outside of industrial use
A commodity based currency would prevent our government from doing some of the crap it's doing now. Can't mine your way into constant wars and bailouts, but you sure can print your way there! This is probably for another thread on another forum though.

Old Jul 16, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by tridawg
Dude, your thinking of Sith Lords. Always two, a master and an apprentice.
Or the Blues Brothers...
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
Uhm no. They don't have access to bank records without a summons which would have to be given to the OP beforehand. .
Not true.
I was never notified that my records had been subpoenaed or my assets frozen. First I found out was LE showed me some of the documents they had obtained and asked me to answer questions they had.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Andy2

The biggest concern most posters originally had about MO deposits was Structuring. Several posters have argued that Structuring does not apply to MO deposits. They may or may not be correct....

When a person reads Structuring cases, it so often involves a visit from law enforcement where they keep asking "why did you choose to deposit this specific amount". So often the target says he or she did so because they heard that going over a certain amount triggers paperwork. Then the government has the target admitting to the crime. ....

I am guessing that it would be considered structuring if the MOs were purchased with cash, but not otherwise. This is the best guess from a stranger online, not a lawyer. Either way I see no benefit to intentionally trying to avoid paperwork. It's for sure legal and less hassle.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 11:46 am

I'm 100% certain than none of those who MS would like a visit from any of the LEAs and only when that happens will it hit them that these visits are not just fabricated to scare others. Meanwhile, we can all chill and relax, BigB got our backs protected :snort:
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:45 pm
Suspended

I think OP has embellished his story.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by WD40
I think OP has embellished his story.
Welcome to FlyerTalk
Old Jul 17, 2014, 8:58 pm

There has been a great deal of speculation here that manufactured spending with money orders is not illegal. Personally, I have not tried this method and I am not inclined to try it. Since it appears several here have experience with money laundering laws, has anyone considered this?

31 USC 2354(a)(1) Provides Criminal Penalties for Structuring transactions to avoid reporting requirements in several other sections of federal law. One of those reporting requirements is for money orders described in 31 USC 5325(a)(2), 5325(a)(2) seems to require ID for a transaction or series of transactions for money orders greater than 3k. There are threads here regarding when and where to purchase money orders and when ID is taken. Many here purchase far more than $3k in Money Orders regularly.

It seems plausible from a law enforcement point of view that reporting requirements are being evaded in the context of MS techniques.

Anyone with more knowledge than I care to comment?

Last edited by monkeywrencher; Jul 17, 2014 at 9:00 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:04 pm
Suspended

I heard that the IRS is not actually a government agency, just a private corporation that acts as a government contractor. Is there any truth to this? If so, does this IRS special agent have any authority to investigate crimes or make arrests?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.