$25 off $250 Best Buy Amex Sync

Old Jul 24, 14, 11:54 pm

Someone please confirm that we can still use a Bestbuy gift card to buy Visa GCs in-store at BB.
Old Jul 25, 14, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by cyclotron View Post
Someone please confirm that we can still use a Bestbuy gift card to buy Visa GCs in-store at BB.
Depends on individual stores. Register isn't hard coded not to accept though. You just have to know your Best Buy stores.
Old Jul 28, 14, 12:31 am

Programs: Chase Ink Bold, Amex Gold
New to MS and points and wanted to give this a trial run. Here's how it went.
As soon as I started researching points and miles, I mysteriously got 2 targeted offers from Amex. One for gold card, $1000 spend = 50,000 points, no fee first year! Signed up. Second, Amex everyday card, $1000 spend = 25,000 points, no annual fee! Signed up.
Signed both those cards for the amex sync BB offer and went to the BB in south bay. I got 2 VGCs to test the water. The cashier sees them, smiles and immediately calls the manager. The manager informs me that I can only buy one VGC and load it with $200 max. I said, ok, let me browse and see if I can buy something for $50 since the offer is for $250. I looked around, everything was way overpriced. Specifically, an HDMI cable that you can buy for $2-4 online is around $38 at BB! Left the store.
Went to another one and asked the cashier where the VGCs were. He says, you can only buy those at Customer Service. Figured they also know the game but still decided to try it. Went to CS and said I wanted to buy VGCs. The girl says how many. I asked if there was a limit. Turned out to be a mistake, the girl starts asking into the microphone about the limit. I immediately say, I need 3 in the hope she'll hang up with the microphone person. She does (whew) and says ok. Split the transaction on the 2 cards, checked and made sure they were metabank. Go to walmart to load BB. I see the cashier that I had previously loaded BB with. Stand in line and the lady in front is talking about the rain in LA (Yep, it rained in LA with lots of lightning strikes and stuff today!). I join in on the conversation and start cracking jokes. I usually do that mostly anyway but I think it also helps disarming the cashier. She closes the register so that no one joins after me. I figure that but still say "You are closing on me?!" jokingly. She says, no, no, I'll take care of you. I say "You better!" also jokingly. Everyone laughs including the her. My turn comes, I tell her I want to reload BB, she does 2 transactions one for 200 and another for 400 split between the 2 GCs. First she thinks, it was 3 separate BBs (Is that a sign of people doing a lot of MS here?), that's why the 2 transactions. I chat her up asking if a lot of people do this, how much do they load etc. She tells me, yep lots of people do it and asks what's the use of it (BB)? I tell her frankly, this helps get the credit card cash back and points and miles. She starts telling me how she never pays attention to those things on her CC and how she spends too much and that she spent $400 on Starbucks. I tell her, she should at least get CCs which give her cash backs, points etc and that way, she can save quite a bit of money and not lose all $400. She says, she'll look into it.
By this time, everything is done and I go to my car and check my phone and have emails from amex about both cards and email from BB about successful load. I literally felt a bit of adreneline (can you imagine?!) coursing through me! First successful MS! $32 made, 618 miles earned, and $618 spent toward signup bonus. FT folks, you rock! Yes, you make newbies read ridiculous amount of info instead of easy step by step info. But I think that is a blessing in disguise. The harder this stuff is to figure out, the less number of people do it.
On the one hand, I feel it may not be a good idea to start a WM cashier on BB and MS and also be conspicuous by being funny and friendly. On the other hand, I think being friendly and disarming the cashier helps make things smooth. Thoughts?
Old Aug 3, 14, 10:26 pm

Thanks all! Got $1k worth of gift cards and loaded them onto Serve at WM
Old Aug 4, 14, 8:02 am

Did anyone else use their serve card for this and have it post as "20 off 40 at Verizon stores"? ....so im shorted $5
Old Aug 4, 14, 9:11 am

sigh, I haven't stepped foot in best buy in years...
Old Aug 4, 14, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by bar19900 View Post
Did anyone else use their serve card for this and have it post as "20 off 40 at Verizon stores"? ....so im shorted $5
I bought 5 cards, paid with 3 other Amex CCs and Serve for $250 (each card) and I got my $25 statement credited in 2 days.

I paid with Serve-Isis for phone accessory purchase @ Verizon store and got the $20 credited on my Serve account on a $41.xx total purchase.

Therefore, these are 2 different offers and you get both credits separately.
Old Aug 7, 14, 8:22 pm

Anyone have any luck in getting the credit to their Fido AmEx? I SYNCed it via FB, added the offer, and paid more than the amount, but the other 'real' Amexes have already gotten the $25 but not the lonely FIA.
Old Aug 7, 14, 8:37 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IC AMB
Originally Posted by AveApostle View Post
Anyone have any luck in getting the credit to their Fido AmEx? I SYNCed it via FB, added the offer, and paid more than the amount, but the other 'real' Amexes have already gotten the $25 but not the lonely FIA.
I got a BB credit on my FIA AX card, but I sync'd it using Twitter. (Don't think that makes a difference though.)
Old Aug 8, 14, 8:18 am

Thanks, portishead--appreciate your beats as well as your advice.

It just posted; just takes a few days longer than 'real' Amex. Makes sense.
Old Aug 8, 14, 11:54 am

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
I have done this promo on quite a few amex cards. I have a bunch of BB points. I don't have plans to buy anything from best buy right now. Can anyone recommend best way to cash it out?

It also looks like GCs don't earn the elite bonus.. I've qualified for elite plus thanks to this promo.
Old Aug 8, 14, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by mintcilantro View Post
I have done this promo on quite a few amex cards. I have a bunch of BB points. I don't have plans to buy anything from best buy right now. Can anyone recommend best way to cash it out?

It also looks like GCs don't earn the elite bonus.. I've qualified for elite plus thanks to this promo.

Buy Amzn Kindle cards?
Old Aug 8, 14, 12:04 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by tsmith12 View Post
Buy Amzn Kindle cards?
sweet.. I made the incorrect assumption that amazon is a BB competitor so they won't sell any amazon GCs. I had bought kindle cards in the past from staples and they worked for ordering regular stuff on amazon.
Old Aug 8, 14, 12:28 pm

Went to BB near my home yesterday and purchase $1K VGC and asked to split the payment with 4 cards. The cashier called manager even I showed my photo ID. The assistant manager came over said something like it's a large purchase and we have right to limit the purchase and ask questions. Then he asked me a question: what you going to use the cards? for yourself or sale to someone else? what's BS (I even wanted to share I always purchase $3K to $4k VGC in CVS. This is not a large purchase at all)! Anyway, I finally made my purchase with 4 cards.
This store is close to my house but the last time I stepped my foot in was 2012!
Old Aug 8, 14, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by zgrzfg View Post
Then he asked me a question: what you going to use the cards? for yourself or sale to someone else? what's BS (I even wanted to share I always purchase $3K to $4k VGC in CVS. This is not a large purchase at all)!
CVS is an outlier.

$1k in GC for any other store always draws red flags.

If you were a business and someone came in to your store that you'd never seenb efore and dropped $1k on gift cards, I think you'd be suspicious too. It is always better to start small and work your way up.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: