Rite Aid Gift Cards causing heat with LE?

Old Jul 10, 14, 11:19 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 42
Rite Aid Gift Cards causing heat with LE?

Today if found out that one of the routes that I've been utilizing for MS may have attracted some attention from LE.

I was doing Cardpool -> Rite Aid GC -> PP MyCash -> Walmart MO

I had liquidated about $3k this month between 2-3 RA locations. One location, the Cashier would offer to "throw away" the used gift cards, however I found out otherwise. Today, when I attempted to liquidate Rite aid GC, the manager informed me that a number of other folks had been doing this in my area and that they had been collecting the used Gift cards and saving them based on instructions from the local police dept. Manager mentioned that they dont know if Rite aid GCs were purchased with stolen gift cards then sold on secondary market. Was wondering if any of you have experienced this?

I think I'm going to back off from this approach (after i finish off the remaining $1k in Rite Aid GC) and utilize the other routes i have.

Been reading various threads here on FT, I tried finding information about the scenario above but couldn't find anything, so I'm starting a new one - if this needs to be moved - let me know. Thanks!
windowandaisleseatonly is offline  
Old Jul 10, 14, 11:25 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: PHL
Programs: SW CP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 571
Originally Posted by windowandaisleseatonly View Post
Today if found out that one of the routes that I've been utilizing for MS may have attracted some attention from LE.

I was doing Cardpool -> Rite Aid GC -> PP MyCash -> Walmart MO

I had liquidated about $3k this month between 2-3 RA locations. One location, the Cashier would offer to "throw away" the used gift cards, however I found out otherwise. Today, when I attempted to liquidate Rite aid GC, the manager informed me that a number of other folks had been doing this in my area and that they had been collecting the used Gift cards and saving them based on instructions from the local police dept. Manager mentioned that they dont know if Rite aid GCs were purchased with stolen gift cards then sold on secondary market. Was wondering if any of you have experienced this?

I think I'm going to back off from this approach (after i finish off the remaining $1k in Rite Aid GC) and utilize the other routes i have.

Been reading various threads here on FT, I tried finding information about the scenario above but couldn't find anything, so I'm starting a new one - if this needs to be moved - let me know. Thanks!
You must have some pretty nice RAs in your area, none will let me buy any prepaids on credit...let alone with a RA giftcard. The idea is genius though.
ftomasze is offline  
Old Jul 10, 14, 11:28 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 42
its very YMMV by store. I've had better luck with newer associates or ones that just DGAF. Their systems don't hard stop you paying with GC's. I also got like a few hundred amazon GC this way too.
windowandaisleseatonly is offline  
Old Jul 10, 14, 11:35 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: All of them!
Posts: 322
When you buy gift cards from one of these third-party brokers, you never know the source of those gift cards. The person who sold them to the company has often bought them with a stolen credit card, in which case the person attempting to use the GC will naturally draw suspicion. There is a thread on FatWallet where the OP was questioned by police after Walgreens called the cops in a situation like this. IIRC in that case the OP wasn't even buying GC but regular merchandise. Apparently these cops had not heard of Cardpool, but I'd think that you'd have plenty of evidence to prove your innocence if it came to that, as you'd have a receipt to show where you got the GC, and Cardpool could confirm it was the same one.

I'd be most worried not about LE, but about Rite Aid shutting it down due to losses they are sustaining as a result of these stolen GCs being cashed out, whether it is done by the CC thief or by someone who bought the GC online. In general buying V/MC/AX GC with store GC is always heavily YMMV if the registers aren't hard coded against it, and if they're taking big losses due to fraud in that area or store, it'll kill the deal. Sadly this kind of problem is why a lot of good opportunities have died.
Lemma is offline  
Old Jul 10, 14, 11:56 pm
  #5  
Formerly known as FTRox87
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: TX
Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Posts: 1,428
wth is LE?
FTR 787 is offline  
Old Jul 10, 14, 11:57 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 42
Law enforcement
windowandaisleseatonly is offline  
Old Jul 11, 14, 8:43 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: PHL
Posts: 930
Originally Posted by FTRox87 View Post
wth is LE?
Those shady guys who hang around in donut shops.
commdiver is offline  
Old Jul 11, 14, 9:11 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 390
As has been mentioned, probably the greater concern is being shutdown (super jealous of your ability to purchase with store GC). Also, I doubt local PD would investigate this. If anything, local PD probably just told RA to hold the GC just as a CYA measure.
smoothmunkey is offline  
Old Jul 11, 14, 9:18 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 503
You don't happen to live in Hemet, CA do you OP?
canyoncar is offline  
Old Jul 11, 14, 9:28 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,699
I hope your gravy train don't get derailed anytime soon if RA realizes they are losing money from *possibly* fraudulent transactions. Like others said, dealing with LE is the least of your worries now because you have proof your cards are legit.
Mamibear is offline  
Old Jul 11, 14, 9:35 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: PHL
Posts: 930
Originally Posted by canyoncar View Post
You don't happen to live in Hemet, CA do you OP?
lol haha
commdiver is offline  
Old Jul 11, 14, 9:51 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,699
I think I'm going to back off from this approach (after i finish off the remaining $1k in Rite Aid GC) and utilize the other routes i have.
I see these cause and effects of this POA:

1. you lose a lot of MS opportunities @ RA which you're doing with legit tools.
2. if you're just one among many who does this same thing, but difference is they're using stolen GCs and/or CCs, thank your lucky stars when they get busted by LE during your hiatus.

OP, whatever you decide to do, good luck!
Mamibear is offline  
Old Jul 11, 14, 5:12 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 355
There's no way of eliminating the risk.

Even if you stop liquidating the cards you purchased, there's the chance the ones you have already liquidated were originally stolen.

Even if you purchased them in good face and had no knowledge of them being stolen, stolen is stolen.

Even if none of your cards were stolen, there is a nonzero chance you can be caught up as bycatch, if only due to LEO clumsiness and a bias to act first and sort out later.

Bottom line, either you are comfortable with there being unavoidable, uncontrollable risks ... or you don't play the game.

You can lower the risks. But you can't eliminate or fully control the risks.

That's not legal advice. That's the lesson I learned. And, fwiw, I didn't stop playing.
seat17D is offline  
Old Jul 11, 14, 7:56 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,942
Originally Posted by seat17D View Post
You can lower the risks. But you can't eliminate or fully control the risks.
Right, but that applies to everything. The clerk wrongly identifies you as the person who paid with the stolen gift cards, and then saw you leave and enter the apartment of that person who was found murdered...
silver6054 is offline  
Old Jul 11, 14, 8:21 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: WAS
Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Posts: 2,576
Originally Posted by commdiver View Post
Those shady guys who hang around in donut shops.
Unless they're Texas Rangers.
f0xx is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: