Rite Aid Gift Cards causing heat with LE?

Old Jul 11, 14, 9:33 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
The police where you live must not have much real crime going on. I can not imagine any cops in the US caring the slightest about fraudulent gift card use at a chain store. Most places the cops don't have enough resources to deal with actual murders, armed robberies and general people beating the crap out of each other.

Some low-life is suspected of frauding VRs at a drug store? Yeah, call that one in to your city's police dispatcher, surely they'll send a squad car right over to check it out...
Old Jul 11, 14, 9:37 pm

Hi All... some time lurker, first time poster. Thought I would throw up my datapoint on the RA GC for PPMC... I stumbled into this method not too long ago, tested it out with a 10.00 RA GC, saw you could make the purchase, and figured, why not go 500.00?
That worked out swimmingly as well... the first time. No hassle, just got the PPMC with 3 GC and left.

This time round, I got 1K in RA GC, 6 cards total. Well, it wound up being a run around town, stopped at probably 5 or 6 stores before I finally found a couple of clerks who didn't care and made the sale. All the others said some variation of you can't buy GC w/ GC, called over the manager, etc... one of the GCs wound up being short a few bucks as well, i guess you can't really trust the online sites.

Def. a bit nerve racking at the prospect of trying to figure out how to do all my shopping at RA for the next 10 years... people would have been getting a lot of candy bars, cough syrup, and crappy mp3 players for xmas. luckily I got rid of all the GC...
Old Jul 12, 14, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seat17D View Post
There's no way of eliminating the risk.

Even if you stop liquidating the cards you purchased, there's the chance the ones you have already liquidated were originally stolen.

Even if you purchased them in good face and had no knowledge of them being stolen, stolen is stolen.

Even if none of your cards were stolen, there is a nonzero chance you can be caught up as bycatch, if only due to LEO clumsiness and a bias to act first and sort out later.

Bottom line, either you are comfortable with there being unavoidable, uncontrollable risks ... or you don't play the game.

You can lower the risks. But you can't eliminate or fully control the risks.

That's not legal advice. That's the lesson I learned. And, fwiw, I didn't stop playing.
I agree with you - no way to eliminate risk, just to lower them. I'll keep playing - I'll use the other methods i have going on to MS and ease off the gas pedal on this method.
Old Jul 12, 14, 2:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Walmero View Post
Hi All... some time lurker, first time poster. Thought I would throw up my datapoint on the RA GC for PPMC... I stumbled into this method not too long ago, tested it out with a 10.00 RA GC, saw you could make the purchase, and figured, why not go 500.00?
That worked out swimmingly as well... the first time. No hassle, just got the PPMC with 3 GC and left.

This time round, I got 1K in RA GC, 6 cards total. Well, it wound up being a run around town, stopped at probably 5 or 6 stores before I finally found a couple of clerks who didn't care and made the sale. All the others said some variation of you can't buy GC w/ GC, called over the manager, etc... one of the GCs wound up being short a few bucks as well, i guess you can't really trust the online sites.

Def. a bit nerve racking at the prospect of trying to figure out how to do all my shopping at RA for the next 10 years... people would have been getting a lot of candy bars, cough syrup, and crappy mp3 players for xmas. luckily I got rid of all the GC...
Yeah, it's a PITA to run around town to different locations - I had to go to 8 stores within a 20 mile radius, different shifts, different days to liquidate the $3k in the last month.

Other ways i've liquidated Low denomination GC - You can buy Beer/Liquor/Sodas/ice cream/ice for parties, Let the wifey go to town on whatever cosmetics she wants/needs, contact solution and eyedrops, TP, and whatever snacks you want during the day.
Old Jul 12, 14, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy View Post
The police where you live must not have much real crime going on. I can not imagine any cops in the US caring the slightest about fraudulent gift card use at a chain store. Most places the cops don't have enough resources to deal with actual murders, armed robberies and general people beating the crap out of each other.
You might be surprised.

Suburban cops can, will and do show up for $20 grocery store shoplifiting arrests, so $500 is well within their "care zone". Chances are they responding to at least one shoplifting call a week, so they likely are already on a first name basis with the store managers. Ditto for pharmacies and shoplifting of alcohol or meds.

Likewise, in some cities there are enclaves where cops/fire/attorneys live due to residency requirements. They can be extremely territorial.

Sometimes they react based on the "broken window" approach to LE.

Sometimes because their wives, kids or neighbors work at the store.

Regardless of the connection, they take care of their own.
Old Jul 12, 14, 2:19 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
yeah nwflyboy is way off base here. maybe he doesnt value money and thinks $500 is akin to TP. but many folks around the country dont even make that much a week, esp the ones working at these stores where this exact kinda fraud happens. maybe even the cop themselves. so get out of your MS bubble and get a grip on the actual value of $500 -- put it into perspective.

but anyways, all reported crime is meant to be taken seriously -- that is the law. you can call in a robbery and file a police report for your used, 2nd hand iPod worth maybe $50 and they WILL assign a detective to your case. I kid you not. an actual detective will follow up with you and anyone else you suspect might be in possession of your belongings if you can provide evidence.
Old Jul 12, 14, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by seat17D View Post
Suburban cops can, will and do show up for $20 grocery store shoplifiting arrests
Yeah, but they HATE it. Store loss prevention/mall security get to do the fun thing and "apprehend" the shoplifter, but the real cops have to do all the work- hours of paperwork for an arrest because the store wants to press charges for a $9 piece of makeup. I'd rather those hours be going towards going after real criminals.

Only way I can see the 5-0 being involved in this thread's situation is with drug type deals (which is why I mentioned Hemet)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: