Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Staples 7/13 - 7/19 Get $20 Staples GC via Easy Rebate when buying $300 Mastercard GC

Staples 7/13 - 7/19 Get $20 Staples GC via Easy Rebate when buying $300 Mastercard GC

Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Presumably in store only. Same as always
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:47 am
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
thanks!
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:18 am

Still haven't received my last easy rebate.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jorge18
Still haven't received my last easy rebate.
Give it time. They're pretty fast but the industry average is like 6 weeks
Old Jul 10, 2014, 12:15 pm

Interesting - not as good as the last few times as those were for buying Visa gift cards and you'd get your rebate as a Visa rebate card instead of a Staples gift card.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Damnit, I'll be on vacation that week with no Staples around anywhere. My local Staples lets me use the $20 Staples GCs for VGC/MCGC purchases too so they come in handy for negating activation fees.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 1:59 pm

Thanks I'll be checking this out
Old Jul 10, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: All of them!
Originally Posted by danpeake
Interesting - not as good as the last few times as those were for buying Visa gift cards and you'd get your rebate as a Visa rebate card instead of a Staples gift card.
From their perspective, it's obviously more desirable to give away a Staples GC than a Visa GC, so the fact that many of these rebate deals are for Staples GC (just received a $20 Staples GC in the mail today from a previous version of this deal) means that Staples is probably willing to do them more often as a result. Which is obviously good for us.

And while I'd obviously rather have a Visa, or better yet a check, you can easily cash out the Staples GC by purchasing free after rebate items. There are only so many of these so it's not really scalable, but it's a great way to cash out the occasional $20 GC. They offer reams of paper FAR with coupon printed from staples.com on a fairly regular basis, and you can generally do 4 rebates per week per household on the free reams. Sometimes they have rebate deals for 5 ream or 10 ream cases of paper although frequently it is just heavily discounted rather than free after rebate - though if you need the paper that's still good. They don't rebate sales tax so you do pay that unless you live in a state that doesn't have any, but I think that's a reasonable price to pay to turn a store GC into a check (for rebates under $10 like a single ream) especially since you get free paper.

If all this is too much work, you can also sell the Staples GC to a third party broker online and get ~86% of the value in cash. But Staples easy rebates are so much easier than the traditional mail-in rebate, that I think unless it's really inconvenient for you to visit a store (as their FAR deals are generally in-store only) it makes sense to check their weekly ad and online coupons every Sunday for anything that is FAR.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 9:01 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Originally Posted by Lemma
From their perspective, it's obviously more desirable to give away a Staples GC than a Visa GC, so the fact that many of these rebate deals are for Staples GC (just received a $20 Staples GC in the mail today from a previous version of this deal) means that Staples is probably willing to do them more often as a result. Which is obviously good for us.

And while I'd obviously rather have a Visa, or better yet a check, you can easily cash out the Staples GC by purchasing free after rebate items. There are only so many of these so it's not really scalable, but it's a great way to cash out the occasional $20 GC. They offer reams of paper FAR with coupon printed from staples.com on a fairly regular basis, and you can generally do 4 rebates per week per household on the free reams. Sometimes they have rebate deals for 5 ream or 10 ream cases of paper although frequently it is just heavily discounted rather than free after rebate - though if you need the paper that's still good. They don't rebate sales tax so you do pay that unless you live in a state that doesn't have any, but I think that's a reasonable price to pay to turn a store GC into a check (for rebates under $10 like a single ream) especially since you get free paper.

If all this is too much work, you can also sell the Staples GC to a third party broker online and get ~86% of the value in cash. But Staples easy rebates are so much easier than the traditional mail-in rebate, that I think unless it's really inconvenient for you to visit a store (as their FAR deals are generally in-store only) it makes sense to check their weekly ad and online coupons every Sunday for anything that is FAR.
what do you do with all that paper?

is the only reason you do this is to get a FAR check? basically turn the Staples GC into a check? which comes 8-10 wks after you buy the FAR item. and this is about 4-6 wks after the original deal for which you got the Staples GC. seems like a rly long turn around time.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 3:10 am

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by FTRox87
what do you do with all that paper?
I've been doing FAR paper for a few months... I donate mine to animal shelters or disadvantaged schools. They are always happy to receive it and I get a tax write off.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 7:03 am

Staples GC = easy excuse to buy Google Chromecast when you already have Apple TV, Roku, etc. "Honey, they made me do it."
Old Jul 12, 2014, 6:56 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
I just looked at my local store's ad.
The deal is get a $20 Staples' gift card after purchasing $300 or more in MasterCard gift cards.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 7:04 pm

My store only has $50 MC and $200 VGC.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 8:21 pm

How easy to scale?

Originally Posted by sam_goh
Don't forget unique everything, name, address, phone, email etc. Their rebate system is quite picky.
I have access to 2 addresses, but i want to use a single credit card...has anyone been sucessful submitting 2 rebates with unique everything, but using the same underlying credit card?

(I guess they only see the last 4 digits, so it should be ok, but want to check if anyone has experience... )
Old Jul 12, 2014, 10:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by medellinfein
I have access to 2 addresses, but i want to use a single credit card...has anyone been sucessful submitting 2 rebates with unique everything, but using the same underlying credit card?

(I guess they only see the last 4 digits, so it should be ok, but want to check if anyone has experience... )
I do this frequently and it has yet to be an issue.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.