FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Staples 7/13 - 7/19 Get $20 Staples GC via Easy Rebate when buying $300 Mastercard GC (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1593190-staples-7-13-7-19-get-20-staples-gc-via-easy-rebate-when-buying-300-mastercard-gc.html)

ttlmmky Jul 10, 2014 10:07 am

Staples 7/13 - 7/19 Get $20 Staples GC via Easy Rebate when buying $300 Mastercard GC

Presumably in store only. Same as always

FTR 787 Jul 10, 2014 10:47 am

thanks!

jorge18 Jul 10, 2014 11:18 am

Still haven't received my last easy rebate.

ttlmmky Jul 10, 2014 11:34 am

Originally Posted by jorge18 (Post 23175428)
Still haven't received my last easy rebate.

Give it time. They're pretty fast but the industry average is like 6 weeks

danpeake Jul 10, 2014 12:15 pm

Interesting - not as good as the last few times as those were for buying Visa gift cards and you'd get your rebate as a Visa rebate card instead of a Staples gift card.

payeco Jul 10, 2014 12:51 pm

Damnit, I'll be on vacation that week with no Staples around anywhere. My local Staples lets me use the $20 Staples GCs for VGC/MCGC purchases too so they come in handy for negating activation fees.

tweedlet Jul 10, 2014 1:59 pm

Thanks I'll be checking this out

Lemma Jul 10, 2014 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by danpeake (Post 23175789)
Interesting - not as good as the last few times as those were for buying Visa gift cards and you'd get your rebate as a Visa rebate card instead of a Staples gift card.

From their perspective, it's obviously more desirable to give away a Staples GC than a Visa GC, so the fact that many of these rebate deals are for Staples GC (just received a $20 Staples GC in the mail today from a previous version of this deal) means that Staples is probably willing to do them more often as a result. Which is obviously good for us.

And while I'd obviously rather have a Visa, or better yet a check, you can easily cash out the Staples GC by purchasing free after rebate items. There are only so many of these so it's not really scalable, but it's a great way to cash out the occasional $20 GC. They offer reams of paper FAR with coupon printed from staples.com on a fairly regular basis, and you can generally do 4 rebates per week per household on the free reams. Sometimes they have rebate deals for 5 ream or 10 ream cases of paper although frequently it is just heavily discounted rather than free after rebate - though if you need the paper that's still good. They don't rebate sales tax so you do pay that unless you live in a state that doesn't have any, but I think that's a reasonable price to pay to turn a store GC into a check (for rebates under $10 like a single ream) especially since you get free paper.

If all this is too much work, you can also sell the Staples GC to a third party broker online and get ~86% of the value in cash. But Staples easy rebates are so much easier than the traditional mail-in rebate, that I think unless it's really inconvenient for you to visit a store (as their FAR deals are generally in-store only) it makes sense to check their weekly ad and online coupons every Sunday for anything that is FAR.

FTR 787 Jul 10, 2014 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Lemma (Post 23178213)
From their perspective, it's obviously more desirable to give away a Staples GC than a Visa GC, so the fact that many of these rebate deals are for Staples GC (just received a $20 Staples GC in the mail today from a previous version of this deal) means that Staples is probably willing to do them more often as a result. Which is obviously good for us.

And while I'd obviously rather have a Visa, or better yet a check, you can easily cash out the Staples GC by purchasing free after rebate items. There are only so many of these so it's not really scalable, but it's a great way to cash out the occasional $20 GC. They offer reams of paper FAR with coupon printed from staples.com on a fairly regular basis, and you can generally do 4 rebates per week per household on the free reams. Sometimes they have rebate deals for 5 ream or 10 ream cases of paper although frequently it is just heavily discounted rather than free after rebate - though if you need the paper that's still good. They don't rebate sales tax so you do pay that unless you live in a state that doesn't have any, but I think that's a reasonable price to pay to turn a store GC into a check (for rebates under $10 like a single ream) especially since you get free paper.

If all this is too much work, you can also sell the Staples GC to a third party broker online and get ~86% of the value in cash. But Staples easy rebates are so much easier than the traditional mail-in rebate, that I think unless it's really inconvenient for you to visit a store (as their FAR deals are generally in-store only) it makes sense to check their weekly ad and online coupons every Sunday for anything that is FAR.

what do you do with all that paper? :confused:

is the only reason you do this is to get a FAR check? basically turn the Staples GC into a check? which comes 8-10 wks after you buy the FAR item. and this is about 4-6 wks after the original deal for which you got the Staples GC. seems like a rly long turn around time.

skitch23 Jul 11, 2014 3:10 am

Originally Posted by FTRox87 (Post 23178232)
what do you do with all that paper? :confused:

I've been doing FAR paper for a few months... I donate mine to animal shelters or disadvantaged schools. They are always happy to receive it and I get a tax write off.

tuphat Jul 11, 2014 7:03 am

Staples GC = easy excuse to buy Google Chromecast when you already have Apple TV, Roku, etc. "Honey, they made me do it."

onthego15 Jul 12, 2014 6:56 pm

I just looked at my local store's ad.
The deal is get a $20 Staples' gift card after purchasing $300 or more in MasterCard gift cards.

newuser0 Jul 12, 2014 7:04 pm

My store only has $50 MC and $200 VGC. :confused:

medellinfein Jul 12, 2014 8:21 pm

How easy to scale?

Originally Posted by sam_goh (Post 22571678)
Don't forget unique everything, name, address, phone, email etc. Their rebate system is quite picky.

I have access to 2 addresses, but i want to use a single credit card...has anyone been sucessful submitting 2 rebates with unique everything, but using the same underlying credit card?

(I guess they only see the last 4 digits, so it should be ok, but want to check if anyone has experience... )

skitch23 Jul 12, 2014 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by medellinfein (Post 23186647)
I have access to 2 addresses, but i want to use a single credit card...has anyone been sucessful submitting 2 rebates with unique everything, but using the same underlying credit card?

(I guess they only see the last 4 digits, so it should be ok, but want to check if anyone has experience... )

I do this frequently and it has yet to be an issue.