US Bank adverse action

Old May 7, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
Just found this thread. Here's my story:

Shutdown back in Sept 2016 when I applied for FP Biz. Reconed several times, tried to move credit around, and dealt with the lovely Keith in Cardmember Investigations (he performed the shutdown). At the time I had 3 USB accounts (FP, FP, Cash) and one account (my oldest) at Elan.

They initially said my 50k FP points were forfeited as other mentioned. I wrote several letters and they paid out at 1 ccp. I then proceeded to file complaints with CFPB, OCC, and AGs for CA, MN, ME; attempt to reopen my accounts with frontline CSRs; and dispute USB's responses to my complaints.

All the while I invoked the California Law stating you shall not close credit cards without 30 days notice. It fell on deaf ears. Eventually they claimed that it didn't apply due to the exception provision.

After saying I was insulted by their lowball settlement offer, they threw in another 1 ccp. They also refused to respond to additional letters. Unbelievable. I never cashed the checks or agreed to stipulated settlement. My counteroffer was very reasonable: an extra $50 and my oldest (non-USB, mind you) account back. No response.

Anyways, I plan on suing out of spite. After all, the customer has no duty to kiss your behind once you screw 'em. If everyone asserted their rights, the banks would think twice before pulling these shenanigans. It would be my personal honor to help others fight US Bank.

I've been in this game a while (4 years) but this was my first real shutdown. It certainly was an eye opener.

Btw the registered agent is listed under US Bancorp. In California that is currently C T CORPORATION SYSTEM 818 W 7TH ST STE 930 LOS ANGELES CA 90017. Find yours by doing a business search on the Secretary of State's website.
Frankly you should have taken the $1000.00. I seriously doubt you will do any better in court. You may do worse. Per your quoting CA law, these sort of of things are often disregarded and not recognized. You don't spite them since they have a ton of attorneys onboard. So they go to court. It doesn't matter to them. With any legal situation, court is the last resort. It means the parties could not settle out of court. Fighting cases on principal is a waste of time. Most lawyers love to fight on principles. They make sure the client will pay them for the wasted efforts.
Old May 8, 2017, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by jk2
Out of 5 cards I had with usbank, only flexperks was regularly used( in grocery stores).
Interesting.... I thought groceries stores were pretty safe, unlike websites that explicitly sell GC's. Your grocery store must have reported sufficient details and something must have triggered a review. I'm wondering if there were other factors at play and how more of an exception your case is. After all, I can think of many reasons why I "legitimately" would be buying GC's at a grocery store. It still strikes me odd that the bank would shut dwon your accounts for doing that, unless you simply were buying a ridiculous amount of GCs and turning them into MO's, depositing them in the same bank to pay off your CC.
Old May 8, 2017, 2:34 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by robertw477
Frankly you should have taken the $1000.00. I seriously doubt you will do any better in court. You may do worse. Per your quoting CA law, these sort of of things are often disregarded and not recognized. You don't spite them since they have a ton of attorneys onboard. So they go to court. It doesn't matter to them. With any legal situation, court is the last resort. It means the parties could not settle out of court. Fighting cases on principal is a waste of time. Most lawyers love to fight on principles. They make sure the client will pay them for the wasted efforts.
I don't disagree with ya! My lawyer said the same thing. Well, initially he bet me I wouldn't get a single cent out of them. He also says court is like hugging a hand grenade.

Anyways, I've decided not to sue or cash the checks (will keep my options open pending this fruitful discussion). The statue of limitation is 4 years. I think we may see more activity here in light of their new CC.
Old May 8, 2017, 9:10 am

My counteroffer was very reasonable: an extra $50 and my oldest (non-USB, mind you) account back. No response.
Reasonable to you maybe, but no bank in their right mind is going to agree to letting you have the account back if they identified you as a risky customer, and thus shut down your accounts (and didn't make a mistake). That's a pipe dream.
Old May 9, 2017, 2:55 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by hamokmonky
Reasonable to you maybe, but no bank in their right mind is going to agree to letting you have the account back if they identified you as a risky customer, and thus shut down your accounts (and didn't make a mistake). That's a pipe dream.
Yes and no. There is at least 1 positive datapoint (will update if I find the source. It was a comment on a blog I think).

That's mainly what fuels my animus. That was the first credit card I ever opened (1/28/08). At the tender age of 18, my mom took me to the main branch of Gardiner Savings Bank in Maine (since renamed and acquired) to open a secured Visa credit card (there was 1k in my savings I couldn't touch). To have US Bank steal that history from me is heartbreaking. And it certainly doesn't help my FICO. At the time of closure that card was a Camden National Visa serviced by Elan.

As noted in my post, I did ask for my US Bank accounts back but I didn't include them in my stipulated settlement offer.
Old May 9, 2017, 6:36 am

Yes and no. There is at least 1 positive datapoint (will update if I find the source. It was a comment on a blog I think).

That's mainly what fuels my animus. That was the first credit card I ever opened (1/28/08). At the tender age of 18, my mom took me to the main branch of Gardiner Savings Bank in Maine (since renamed and acquired) to open a secured Visa credit card (there was 1k in my savings I couldn't touch). To have US Bank steal that history from me is heartbreaking. And it certainly doesn't help my FICO. At the time of closure that card was a Camden National Visa serviced by Elan.

As noted in my post, I did ask for my US Bank accounts back but I didn't include them in my stipulated settlement offer.
Ive seen 1 account of accounts being reinstated and it was 100% legit spend accounts, not MSing a single cent. It also wasn't usbank, who is more conservative than the rest.
Old May 9, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Meh - depends what the banksters are smoking in their pipe. Had seven DDAs shut by a bank that still loves, and has increased my cc biz. Was using the bank back in the day to deposit cash to transfer to my UFB DDAs to purchase GCs using my UFB AA debits (i. e. recycling funds on an industrial scale). That was in the good old days when you could daisy chain IRA rollovers and recycle the money over and over and over again. Some banksters are just less evil than others.

And speaking of evil, resident evil that is, have you heard of the trouble in Stansted today? "Outraged holidaymakers at Stansted Airport have compared the departures lounge to a "zombie apocalypse" as passengers "fainted" and missed their flights due to technical difficulties. The airport has been forced to apologize after a fault with security scanners caused long queues."

Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Agree. The banks do not care one bit about you as an individual customer. If they see you as a risk, that's it, they're done with you. It's simply not worth their time and trouble to continue taking the risk, as there are no shortage of other customers out there. Risk Management rules in most businesses.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Let us not forget there was Risk Management ruling in every bank caught red handed laundering money. Blame autopilot analytics which detects MS folk yet fails to detect ML folk.

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Agree. The banks do not care one bit about you as an individual customer. If they see you as a risk, that's it, they're done with you. It's simply not worth their time and trouble to continue taking the risk, as there are no shortage of other customers out there. Risk Management rules in most businesses.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 10:14 pm

I think I've probably been hit my this.

Obviously, I don't think what I did was 'excessive'.

Has anyone seen a data point of getting it reinstated, other than that guys 1cpp offer?
Old Jan 4, 2020, 7:24 pm

It's been 5 years since my credit card was closed. Anyone been successful in opening newer accounts?
Old Jan 10, 2020, 2:25 pm

Anyone have any idea/experience?
Old Jan 11, 2020, 9:23 am

I read somewhere that it is a lifetime ban.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:35 am
Suspended

Programs: AV, AA, BA, CM, UA, Hertz, Marriott, Hilton
When I was shutdown in the spring 2017 wave I received weeks notice to redeem accumulated FP of ~200k. Luckily I returned from a long trip funded by FP lol - just in time to read the shutdown letters and book everything immediately. I will not bother with USB again but it was good while it lasted. I ramped up and within a year ms'd 30k/mo across multiple FP cards and generated ~5 million FP over the time. Kept my UA 1K at least five years longer than otherwise lllol! But at this time I don't care if the ban is lifetime I don't want to deal again with USB cs was so bad, and there were many problems eg. claiming the $25 per ticket allowance for travel incidentals was a headache every time.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 8:09 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by liw5215
I read somewhere that it is a lifetime ban.
Why not simply try to apply for a new card.
What is the worst that they can do?? Say no?

OTOH, perhaps you might like to try a different approach and see if you can open a checking or savings account, and hold off on trying for a cc until or unless you can make headway in this manner.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.