Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: phant0m
************Gift Card Fraud Alert************

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

How can I protect myself?

1) Do not buy a card that has been opened or looks tampered with. Inspect all packaging thoroughly before purchasing. Many posters say that the packaging looks pristine, but the glue seems excessive once opened. Open the package to inspect the glue before you pay for it, if the cashier allows that.

2) Use the card quickly. The card has no value until YOU add money. If you spend your funds before the fraudster figures out that it's loaded, you win. Or at least register your card. That might give you another layer of security but beware it might NOT be bulletproof.

3) Keep your receipts and packaging until your card is liquidated. You will need the receipt to make a claim.

I'll add a few more from the school of hard knocks (also now known as the school of the paranoid MSer)....

4) If it's the only card of its type left on the rack, should you buy it or not? Consider: did the fraudster remove all the other cards so some sucker would quickly come along quickly and buy the card he has placed there purposefully?

5) A corollary to #4: Should you buy the top card in a stack of cards, or dig deeper and pick out one a distance from the top? Did the fraudster put the card he wants some sucker to buy at the top of the stack so it would sell quickly and he could do his evil deed?

6) Open card packages soon after purchase. Don't wait a few days. If anything looks amiss (too much glue inside the pack, too little glue inside, glue in the wrong location, mag stripe doesn't look right, some card numbers illegible), call the 800 number on the back of the card immediately to report it and ask about a replacement.

Each link of Gift Card MS:

1. Gift Card issuer: Vanilla, Metabank, US Bank, Green Dot etc. There can be data hack. It is rare.
2. GC Merchant: grocery and drug stores. Online GC sellers (Simon Mall, Gift Card Mall etc.). The data hack is possible, but rare.
3. Shipping: GCs can be stolen. But this is not fraud.
4. GC Cash Out: Walmart, Dollar General, Family Dollar, CVS etc. This is very rare.

For unsold GCs with bar code exposed, the store is required to destroy the GCs. Fraud can happen when the unsuspecting store staff return the unsold GCs back to the shelf. But it is very rare to have a batch of GCs all tampered and returned to the store shelf.

Here is a web site with information about gift card fraud:

http://www.tripwire.com/state-of-sec...-so-lucrative/

Here are some stores where FT members have experienced fraud:

List of Stores to avoid or be Alert:
(1) Reported by IWOL in So Cal:
VONS => Ventura Blvd & Reseda

Reported by Lovenola:

Ralph's in Downey at 9200 Lakewood Blvd.

Ralph's in Pasadena at 211 E. Foothill Blvd.

Ralph's in Monrovia at 1193 Huntington Dr.

3) Reported by domino007

Ralphs in 13321 Jamboree Rd, Tustin

Ralphs in Irvine on Alton, Walnut and Irvine Blvd

Reported by DaveInLA:
Ralphs in Brea- 305 W Imperial Hwy. VGC was purchased in 12/2014.

Reported by 46sky:
Ralphs in Culver City on Venice Blvd - VGC purchased 2/2015.

Reported by Chrisflyer66:
Ralphs in San Diego on Sports Arena - VGCs purchased in 2014-2015.

Ralph's - 1435 W Chapman Ave, Orange, CA 92868 - Purchased 12/2019

Seems to me that only People in so.Cal are reporting
Print Wikipost

Gift Card Fraud !!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Lesson learned to *not* buy the USB VGC at Ralphs...now up to 8 GCs that have been drained within one day at various places in the LA Area, yet I not only live in Fontana, but I was in Virginia when the transactions were completed. And I have the cards still in my possession. The reason why I did not use them was that the magnetic stripes were bad as they wouldn't register when I was trying to swipe them. So I called in to CS to have new cards issued and they said they have inactivated the cards...guess not!

Argh, part of me wants to file a police report, but I'm not sure they would care about it.

ETA: Now up to 10 cards compromised ($5000)
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I've read warnings about USB VGCs from Ralphs (a Southern Cal Kroger store), so I shy away. And I see lots of Ralphs warnings in the wiki of this thread.

Can someone explain what makes these cards so attractive and easy for fraudsters?

I've also seen warnings about USB Mastercard GCs from Office Depot. I do buy these on occasion, and in limited quantities, but try to liquidate them ASAP.

I've (to date, with fingers crossed) not had problems with Metas from other markets.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
I've read warnings about USB VGCs from Ralphs (a Southern Cal Kroger store), so I shy away. And I see lots of Ralphs warnings in the wiki of this thread.

Can someone explain what makes these cards so attractive and easy for fraudsters?

I've also seen warnings about USB Mastercard GCs from Office Depot. I do buy these on occasion, and in limited quantities, but try to liquidate them ASAP.

I've (to date, with fingers crossed) not had problems with Metas from other markets.
Stores sell cards in easy to guess sequences, so someone could steal a few blanks from the rack, and figure out the range of account #s .

US Bank's website makes it trivially easy for someone to write a script to try all 999 possible 3-digit codes on the back in order to check the balance on the card. I'm sure they wait for these promos as well to snap up some MS money. Once they see a card loaded they clone it and use it.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
I posted this in the Vons thread as well, but I bought 2x of the $100 Variable VGCs during the recent promo; packing on both cards looked pristine, but one of two cards had been tampered with - the last 3 digits of the card number were completely scratched out. Called BHN right away and a new card was issued and arrived within 5 days. First time I’ve experienced a bad Meta.
Old May 1, 2018, 10:49 pm

One of my VGC that I purchased in a Bay Area safeway store was drained in LA today. I don't have the reciept . Do I have any chances of getting my money back?
Old May 2, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by aditech
One of my VGC that I purchased in a Bay Area safeway store was drained in LA today. I don't have the reciept . Do I have any chances of getting my money back?
if you call the number on the back of the card, they should be able to tell you the exact time the card was purchased. With that information, the store should be able to look up the transaction and give you a copy of the receipt. Alternatively, if you paid with a credit card, your credit card company may be able to get a copy of the receipt from the retailer.

If you get a copy of the receipt and submit a claim, you probably will eventually get your money back. Good luck.
cajunguy likes this.
Old May 5, 2018, 7:30 pm
jk2

Purchased 3 VGCs in WMT. Opened a package and noticed that magnetic striped is partially destroyed on one of cards (my guess due to heavy glue), other 2 cards were partially OK - some glue stains were present on magnetic stripe. As expected, cards would not swipe. Was busy during a week, when finally called to ask to reissue the cards - was told that all three cards were drained two days after the purchase. first time happened to me. usually cards sold in WMT are quite reliable. I filed a dispute with greendot. do you think I have a chance to get my money back?
Old May 6, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by jk2
I filed a dispute with greendot. do you think I have a chance to get my money back?
Keep all documentation, including packaging, purchase receipts, and the cards themselves. After this happened to me (someone had substituted the card with a OV), I have treated all variables as compromised from the moment of purchase except from a known good source, such as a Simon Mall.

While this could have happened anywhere in the supply chain, where was the purchase point for the gift cards? I feel like certain areas are more prone to these issues than others.
Old May 7, 2018, 6:56 am
jk2

Originally Posted by Majuki
Keep all documentation, including packaging, purchase receipts, and the cards themselves. After this happened to me (someone had substituted the card with a OV), I have treated all variables as compromised from the moment of purchase except from a known good source, such as a Simon Mall.

While this could have happened anywhere in the supply chain, where was the purchase point for the gift cards? I feel like certain areas are more prone to these issues than others.
It was in Florida.
Old May 7, 2018, 11:37 pm

Location pls so I can avoid it.
thanks

Originally Posted by aditech
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:54 am
jk2

Originally Posted by jk2
Purchased 3 VGCs in WMT. Opened a package and noticed that magnetic striped is partially destroyed on one of cards (my guess due to heavy glue), other 2 cards were partially OK - some glue stains were present on magnetic stripe. As expected, cards would not swipe. Was busy during a week, when finally called to ask to reissue the cards - was told that all three cards were drained two days after the purchase. first time happened to me. usually cards sold in WMT are quite reliable. I filed a dispute with greendot. do you think I have a chance to get my money back?
Update and help: Greendot (or WMT gift card CSR) denied my claim - they say I did not register the gift card and the only way to claim back my money is to go to merchant (where the cards were used) and proceed dispute with them. This is an absurd.

What can I do? $1K is not amount I want to lose.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by jk2
Originally Posted by jk2
Update and help: Greendot (or WMT gift card CSR) denied my claim - they say I did not register the gift card and the only way to claim back my money is to go to merchant (where the cards were used) and proceed dispute with them. This is an absurd.

There are increasing reports of GDVGCs being tampered. This should warn people traveling to think more than twice before buying GDs if they're not going to drain them immediately. If you're in unknown territories, buy a bunch of these VGCs and find out later there's issues with the cards, it is going to be a PITA to follow up with the store you bought them from since they'll likely ask you to go to the store's accounting dept to fix it. To be forewarned is to be forearmed.

I've had a recent issue where card did not activate, no refund in 10 days so I went to store's cash manager and she called GDVisa; I got my refund in cash although I expected refund to my CC but since they refunded in cash, I accepted since it was way over the 5 business days to refund to card.

If I were you, I'd follow up with the store I bought the GCs, talk to cash manager and show receipt and tampered cards. Hopefully, that store is not too far from you. If cards were cloned and used at same WM you bought them and you can prove you were not there to use those GCs, you may have to file a police report to get your funds back. Best to file the police report since the merchant will likely attach this to your claim. If the merchant you're referring to is an online merchant, it might pose more challenges although the merchant has the name/addy/zip of the buyer but merchant will NOT divulge it to you for privacy reasons; you may need a court order to get such info to bust the thief. Think and weigh these scenarios and see if it's worth your time to get back your $1K. Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

It bears to repeat ~ drain ALL your VGCs immediately, no more than 24 to 48 hrs as much as possible; best NOT to buy GCs in unknown territories to avoid complicated problems pertaining to such GCs.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 8:10 pm
jk2

Originally Posted by Mamibear
There are increasing reports of GDVGCs being tampered. This should warn people traveling to think more than twice before buying GDs if they're not going to drain them immediately. If you're in unknown territories, buy a bunch of these VGCs and find out later there's issues with the cards, it is going to be a PITA to follow up with the store you bought them from since they'll likely ask you to go to the store's accounting dept to fix it. To be forewarned is to be forearmed.

I've had a recent issue where card did not activate, no refund in 10 days so I went to store's cash manager and she called GDVisa; I got my refund in cash although I expected refund to my CC but since they refunded in cash, I accepted since it was way over the 5 business days to refund to card.

If I were you, I'd follow up with the store I bought the GCs, talk to cash manager and show receipt and tampered cards. Hopefully, that store is not too far from you. If cards were cloned and used at same WM you bought them and you can prove you were not there to use those GCs, you may have to file a police report to get your funds back. Best to file the police report since the merchant will likely attach this to your claim. If the merchant you're referring to is an online merchant, it might pose more challenges although the merchant has the name/addy/zip of the buyer but merchant will NOT divulge it to you for privacy reasons; you may need a court order to get such info to bust the thief. Think and weigh these scenarios and see if it's worth your time to get back your $1K. Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

It bears to repeat ~ drain ALL your VGCs immediately, no more than 24 to 48 hrs as much as possible; best NOT to buy GCs in unknown territories to avoid complicated problems pertaining to such GCs.
Thanks! Actually, I purchased these GCs in my regular WMT, never had a problem in this store for 4+ years.

The cards were drained in the same city as I live, but merchant is not familiar (may be some local store - silver dollar). I tried to submit a CFBP complaint, but Green Dot bank is not listed up there.

Actually, I'm thinking to dispute transactions with my credit card provider. I understand that merchant in question would never listen to me about any kind of dispute or refund. I even asked a supervisor from WMT Gift card, does she really think coming to merchant and claiming my money from them would have any effect. I guess these GCs "customer support" is a joke and only their goal is to get rid of you with any, even such ridiculous explanation.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 12:12 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Did you buy GCs (gift cards) or GreenDot cards? GCs are backed by a bank like Metabank, or US Bank.

GreenDot cards are almost always cash only, and would be backed by GreenDot/GoBank, neither of which are actual financial institutions.

The CFPB's website pretty much gives you a non-answer for situations like this

However, the CFPB does say that prepaid products from non-bank entities falls under their scope for complaints although it looks like they currently have little to no regulation in that area for them to take any action on those complaints.

Last edited by diburning; Jun 9, 2018 at 12:20 am
Old Jun 9, 2018, 4:50 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by jk2

Same thing happened to me. Register the card and file the claim again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.