Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: phant0m
************Gift Card Fraud Alert************

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

How can I protect myself?

1) Do not buy a card that has been opened or looks tampered with. Inspect all packaging thoroughly before purchasing. Many posters say that the packaging looks pristine, but the glue seems excessive once opened. Open the package to inspect the glue before you pay for it, if the cashier allows that.

2) Use the card quickly. The card has no value until YOU add money. If you spend your funds before the fraudster figures out that it's loaded, you win. Or at least register your card. That might give you another layer of security but beware it might NOT be bulletproof.

3) Keep your receipts and packaging until your card is liquidated. You will need the receipt to make a claim.

I'll add a few more from the school of hard knocks (also now known as the school of the paranoid MSer)....

4) If it's the only card of its type left on the rack, should you buy it or not? Consider: did the fraudster remove all the other cards so some sucker would quickly come along quickly and buy the card he has placed there purposefully?

5) A corollary to #4: Should you buy the top card in a stack of cards, or dig deeper and pick out one a distance from the top? Did the fraudster put the card he wants some sucker to buy at the top of the stack so it would sell quickly and he could do his evil deed?

6) Open card packages soon after purchase. Don't wait a few days. If anything looks amiss (too much glue inside the pack, too little glue inside, glue in the wrong location, mag stripe doesn't look right, some card numbers illegible), call the 800 number on the back of the card immediately to report it and ask about a replacement.

Each link of Gift Card MS:

1. Gift Card issuer: Vanilla, Metabank, US Bank, Green Dot etc. There can be data hack. It is rare.
2. GC Merchant: grocery and drug stores. Online GC sellers (Simon Mall, Gift Card Mall etc.). The data hack is possible, but rare.
3. Shipping: GCs can be stolen. But this is not fraud.
4. GC Cash Out: Walmart, Dollar General, Family Dollar, CVS etc. This is very rare.

For unsold GCs with bar code exposed, the store is required to destroy the GCs. Fraud can happen when the unsuspecting store staff return the unsold GCs back to the shelf. But it is very rare to have a batch of GCs all tampered and returned to the store shelf.

Here is a web site with information about gift card fraud:

http://www.tripwire.com/state-of-sec...-so-lucrative/

Here are some stores where FT members have experienced fraud:

List of Stores to avoid or be Alert:
(1) Reported by IWOL in So Cal:
VONS => Ventura Blvd & Reseda

Reported by Lovenola:

Ralph's in Downey at 9200 Lakewood Blvd.

Ralph's in Pasadena at 211 E. Foothill Blvd.

Ralph's in Monrovia at 1193 Huntington Dr.

3) Reported by domino007

Ralphs in 13321 Jamboree Rd, Tustin

Ralphs in Irvine on Alton, Walnut and Irvine Blvd

Reported by DaveInLA:
Ralphs in Brea- 305 W Imperial Hwy. VGC was purchased in 12/2014.

Reported by 46sky:
Ralphs in Culver City on Venice Blvd - VGC purchased 2/2015.

Reported by Chrisflyer66:
Ralphs in San Diego on Sports Arena - VGCs purchased in 2014-2015.

Ralph's - 1435 W Chapman Ave, Orange, CA 92868 - Purchased 12/2019

Seems to me that only People in so.Cal are reporting
Print Wikipost

Gift Card Fraud !!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Originally Posted by danhouston
if were u, go ahead to file a report/dispute with cfpb; will likely get replacement cards sooner
'cfpb'?

I got the forms today.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
I would have thought the funds would be locked until you activate the new cards. it is complete incompetence on their end to allow the funds to be drained while the replacement card that has not been activated is in the mail.
That's what I thought as well. I suppose I could word it delicately about their 'slip' in my forms.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:54 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

I just ended up with another compromised gift card. The joker drained it at Dollar General in Perris, CA. I guess his or her BB/Serve accounts haven't been shut down yet.
Now I've got the hassle of begging to get my money back. It was a $500 from Walmart.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
I just ended up with another compromised gift card.
Where did you get this one from? Your "another" indicates its happened to you before, are these all from the same location?

It would help others to be extra cautious at these stores in particular.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:18 am

Greenie from Walmart got compromised yesterday. Bought on 1/22 and on 1/23 someone made a $5 purchase at a store. I got a Not Authorized error, checked the balance later, saw $495 balance, and called in to freeze the card and get a replacement sent to me. No indications of foul play on the greenie I grabbed.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by cajunguy
I had 2 cards tampered with that I bought at Ralphs in S. Cal before Thanksgiving. I went to use them at a WM and they wouldn't read in the POS. I went to a 2nd and 3rd WM and same thing. This is when I called the 877 on the back. They said they would send me new cards. When those arrived about 7 days later I called to activate them. Both had been drained! Pennies left on them. I had even changed the PIN after the 1st WM. I had to call and go through the Fraud thing, they said they'd said they're sending me the paper work to fill out and return to them. I still haven't seen the paper work......2 weeks now. How long does this take?
*the fraud dispute letters arrived later today*
I called for a status on this.....still being reviewed. This shouldn't take that long, right?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
I just ended up with another compromised gift card. The joker drained it at Dollar General in Perris, CA. I guess his or her BB/Serve accounts haven't been shut down yet.
Now I've got the hassle of begging to get my money back. It was a $500 from Walmart.
is the compromised card a WM GDot VGC? if yes, this is the first time I've read of a WMGD VGC compromised. I never thought WMGD GCs would be compromised, I don't buy those with stubs already pulled out, I look for an associate and tell them to take them off the shelves. I hope you get your money back if you haven't gotten it back yet.

When I had issues with WMGD activation, I was given a number by an associate to call and WMGD dept called the store to give me cash refund due to activation failure at their store. I got a call later from them to proceed to the store and look for the AM to get my cash refund. It took five business days but it ended positively.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
is the compromised card a WM GDot VGC? if yes, this is the first time I've read of a WMGD VGC compromised. I never thought WMGD GCs would be compromised, I don't buy those with stubs already pulled out, I look for an associate and tell them to take them off the shelves. I hope you get your money back if you haven't gotten it back yet.

When I had issues with WMGD activation, I was given a number by an associate to call and WMGD dept called the store to give me cash refund due to activation failure at their store. I got a call later from them to proceed to the store and look for the AM to get my cash refund. It took five business days but it ended positively.
Mine was a GD "Foodie" card. I was surprised too. Back was not pulled off. Cashier had to use his fingernails to get the back side off. What surprises me is that the whole amount wasn't unloaded. Only $5 was taken off which I guessing was a test transaction, but you would think the fraudster would have used the whole thing. I considered buying my normal MO - $5 but hey its my $5

I think this shows that no card is immune to these guys. At least I caught it the day after I loaded. This is actually the first time someone actually used funds I loaded and I've bought tons of US Bank cards in the past.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:35 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by Mamibear
is the compromised card a WM GDot VGC? if yes, this is the first time I've read of a WMGD VGC compromised
Yes, a GD. The package looked fine. There was a large rack of them and I pulled it off the top of the rack, did a quick inspection, and bought it. In hindsight, when I opened it, there may have been more glue. When I went to use the card, it had been drained at about 40 miles away, with only about $5 left on it. Thankfully, I did get a refund. With the death of the birds, I don't MS very much, and this type of thing is very disappointing and you run the risk of having to absorb the theft.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
I think with cards that you grab off the shelf (whether at CVS, Walmart, Grocery store), you should only buy them if you can drain them that day, preferably within one hour or less.
StartinSanDiego and cajunguy like this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
I think with cards that you grab off the shelf (whether at CVS, Walmart, Grocery store), you should only buy them if you can drain them that day, preferably within one hour or less.
This is why I'm buying my cards through GCM. I smaller chance they will be compromised.
ChrisFlyer66 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:28 pm

I had 2 cards tampered with that I bought at Ralphs in S. Cal before Thanksgiving. I went to use them at a WM and they wouldn't read in the POS. I went to a 2nd and 3rd WM and same thing. This is when I called the 877 on the back. They said they would send me new cards. When those arrived about 7 days later I called to activate them. Both had been drained! Pennies left on them. I had even changed the PIN after the 1st WM. I had to call and go through the Fraud thing, they said they'd said they're sending me the paper work to fill out and return to them. I still haven't seen the paper work......2 weeks now. How long does this take?
*the fraud dispute letters arrived later today*
Just now got a response from the fraud people - it's been resolved *FINALLY* and the money has been returned to the cards. Early December to now Early March.

Good thing I kept those cards! Balance restored, checked and changed the PIN.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:37 pm

Just now got a response from the fraud people - it's been resolved *FINALLY* and the money has been returned to the cards. Early December to now Early March.

Good thing I kept those cards! Balance restored, checked and changed the PIN.
Go as soon as you can and buy MO or something, i have one card drained twice so if i were you i don't sleep on those cards today but it just me.
cajunguy likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
It's been resolved *FINALLY* and the money has been returned to the cards.
Thanks for the update, cajunguy! I'm glad in the end you weren't out any money, even if it did take a few months to resolve.
cajunguy likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by elegua
Go as soon as you can and buy MO or something, i have one card drained twice so if i were you i don't sleep on those cards today but it just me.
I DID!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.