Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: phant0m
************Gift Card Fraud Alert************

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

How can I protect myself?

1) Do not buy a card that has been opened or looks tampered with. Inspect all packaging thoroughly before purchasing. Many posters say that the packaging looks pristine, but the glue seems excessive once opened. Open the package to inspect the glue before you pay for it, if the cashier allows that.

2) Use the card quickly. The card has no value until YOU add money. If you spend your funds before the fraudster figures out that it's loaded, you win. Or at least register your card. That might give you another layer of security but beware it might NOT be bulletproof.

3) Keep your receipts and packaging until your card is liquidated. You will need the receipt to make a claim.

I'll add a few more from the school of hard knocks (also now known as the school of the paranoid MSer)....

4) If it's the only card of its type left on the rack, should you buy it or not? Consider: did the fraudster remove all the other cards so some sucker would quickly come along quickly and buy the card he has placed there purposefully?

5) A corollary to #4: Should you buy the top card in a stack of cards, or dig deeper and pick out one a distance from the top? Did the fraudster put the card he wants some sucker to buy at the top of the stack so it would sell quickly and he could do his evil deed?

6) Open card packages soon after purchase. Don't wait a few days. If anything looks amiss (too much glue inside the pack, too little glue inside, glue in the wrong location, mag stripe doesn't look right, some card numbers illegible), call the 800 number on the back of the card immediately to report it and ask about a replacement.

Each link of Gift Card MS:

1. Gift Card issuer: Vanilla, Metabank, US Bank, Green Dot etc. There can be data hack. It is rare.
2. GC Merchant: grocery and drug stores. Online GC sellers (Simon Mall, Gift Card Mall etc.). The data hack is possible, but rare.
3. Shipping: GCs can be stolen. But this is not fraud.
4. GC Cash Out: Walmart, Dollar General, Family Dollar, CVS etc. This is very rare.

For unsold GCs with bar code exposed, the store is required to destroy the GCs. Fraud can happen when the unsuspecting store staff return the unsold GCs back to the shelf. But it is very rare to have a batch of GCs all tampered and returned to the store shelf.

Here is a web site with information about gift card fraud:

http://www.tripwire.com/state-of-sec...-so-lucrative/

Here are some stores where FT members have experienced fraud:

List of Stores to avoid or be Alert:
(1) Reported by IWOL in So Cal:
VONS => Ventura Blvd & Reseda

Reported by Lovenola:

Ralph's in Downey at 9200 Lakewood Blvd.

Ralph's in Pasadena at 211 E. Foothill Blvd.

Ralph's in Monrovia at 1193 Huntington Dr.

3) Reported by domino007

Ralphs in 13321 Jamboree Rd, Tustin

Ralphs in Irvine on Alton, Walnut and Irvine Blvd

Reported by DaveInLA:
Ralphs in Brea- 305 W Imperial Hwy. VGC was purchased in 12/2014.

Reported by 46sky:
Ralphs in Culver City on Venice Blvd - VGC purchased 2/2015.

Reported by Chrisflyer66:
Ralphs in San Diego on Sports Arena - VGCs purchased in 2014-2015.

Ralph's - 1435 W Chapman Ave, Orange, CA 92868 - Purchased 12/2019

Seems to me that only People in so.Cal are reporting
Print Wikipost

Gift Card Fraud !!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2020, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by msiamsia
I registered the card over phone when speaking with the agent. “Card being registered” won’t help much? And, I should just go ahead request a replacement? Just checked, the money is still there on my card.
I would request "refund of loaded funds" via check. Only if they absolutely refuse that option, I would then settle for a replacement for another USB VGC.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 2:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; M Titan; Hil Dia; IHG P, AMB;
Originally Posted by benny08
US Bank GC in SoCal is so fraud prone, its crazy. I swear its a inside job.
Originally Posted by titanicMS
yup the only fraud I’ve had after nearly 1M in GC liquidation was from US bank GC’s

Totally agree. It was pain in the butt when I disputed. file claim, fax receipt, wait for the new card and call to get activation fee waived. I got amex plat last week with 10x pts at supermarket. but I do not want to buy GC at Krogers. horrible memories.

any other grocery stores that sells GC has no issues?
Old Nov 19, 2020, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by benny08
US Bank GC in SoCal is so fraud prone, its crazy. I swear its a inside job.
Originally Posted by titanicMS
yup the only fraud I’ve had after nearly 1M in GC liquidation was from US bank GC’s
Similar experience with USB cards. Buy USB if you want a panic attack on the way to liquidate
Old Nov 19, 2020, 8:49 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
Originally Posted by CerealCardSpender
Similar experience with USB cards. Buy USB if you want a panic attack on the way to liquidate
I only buy when I’m headed straight to a WMT within 15 minutes or less. The last tampered card I picked up was one stored behind the customer service desk, which was even more frustrating because that was supposed to be the “secure” spot in the store.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by doggiefizzle
I only buy when I’m headed straight to a WMT within 15 minutes or less. The last tampered card I picked up was one stored behind the customer service desk, which was even more frustrating because that was supposed to be the “secure” spot in the store.
Originally Posted by MaxVO
I would request "refund of loaded funds" via check. Only if they absolutely refuse that option, I would then settle for a replacement for another USB VGC.
On those times you bought USB VGCs, did the packaging look funny or the sequence of the numbers between the barcode and the 16 digits on the card look similar?
Old Nov 20, 2020, 3:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; M Titan; Hil Dia; IHG P, AMB;
everything looks normal until you open the package. the two gums back the card are sticky and nasty to remove, I know I'm effed
Old Nov 20, 2020, 9:34 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by vacaloca
I ran across what would have seemed like fraud, but may have just been demagnetized cards? I purchased 3 MetaBank VGCss from S&S in MA, and when I went to cash them out to MOs at a different grocery store nearby, the cards did not work on the swipe reader. Thinking it was the reader, I asked to try to process the transaction at a different register... and same issue 'card read error' on the other register, this was after trying multiple swipes, top to bottom, bottom to top, etc. At that point, I went back to my car and quickly registered the cards online -- they were showing the full balance, changed the pin, and once done, I called the issuer and I mentioned the mag-stripe did not work and was able to get the three cards replaced in the same call. I made sure to get a case number of the card replacement transaction from the rep on the phone, and they mentioned it would take a few business days to get mailed to the address I had registered them to.

I didn't think the packaging or card showed tampering, but since I didn't have any online way of liquidating them I figured replacing them would be the way to go. The 3 cards were by a register checkout, with a fourth card I did not purchase -- I may just go directly to the rack next time to possibly avoid any issues.

I may later carefully look at the mag-stripe of these cards, as looking through previous posts in this thread some have noticed glue or partial mag-stripe damage.

Edit: I looked at the physical mag-stripes and saw some scratches, but not sure if they were signs of tampering. The replacement cards arrived today (10/24) and activated with the full balance without any issue... now to unload them
The Metabank VGC and MGCs seem to be having this issue lately. Some have a scratched magstripe on the back, some have an incompletely applied magstripe. Thankfully mine all still swiped properly.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 4:43 pm

CFPB is the way to go. Had to jump through hoops the way USB instructed me. Finally got irritated and contacted CFPB.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 2:57 am

And what was the result of you contacting the CFPB?
Old Dec 24, 2020, 5:48 pm

Bought $100 Apple gift card from Target in store last month, went to load it to my account and got the error message that the code had already been redeemed. Packaging looks fine, security sticker was in place. Apple support said the code had been redeemed on the same day the card was purchased and there is nothing they can do and Target gift card department was closed after I got transferred to them. Not too optimistic on this since I used the Target Debit card to make the purchase as well. Anyone have this happen to them? Wondering if it is a wide spread problem?
Old Dec 24, 2020, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by ECCM
Bought $100 Apple gift card from Target in store last month, went to load it to my account and got the error message that the code had already been redeemed. Packaging looks fine, security sticker was in place. Apple support said the code had been redeemed on the same day the card was purchased and there is nothing they can do and Target gift card department was closed after I got transferred to them. Not too optimistic on this since I used the Target Debit card to make the purchase as well. Anyone have this happen to them? Wondering if it is a wide spread problem?
I don't think that Target would be able to help you since the funds were on an Apple gift card. I would HUCA with Apple.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by ECCM
Good luck. Target has been telling people to pound sand. There are more than a handful of reports of this issue with Apple gift cards at Target, so it's definitely some sort of inside job.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 5:00 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors
I've heard reports of this as well, outside of FT. I'd be curious as to exactly how the Target "insiders/employees" were able to get the card numbers if the security seals were in place the entire time on the Apple cards.

Originally Posted by diburning
Good luck. Target has been telling people to pound sand. There are more than a handful of reports of this issue with Apple gift cards at Target, so it's definitely some sort of inside job.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 6:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by deker0
I've heard reports of this as well, outside of FT. I'd be curious as to exactly how the Target "insiders/employees" were able to get the card numbers if the security seals were in place the entire time on the Apple cards.
I wish I knew. I've bought gift cards where there was no actual card inside. The crooks had photocopied the card, placed the photocopy inside, kept the original card, and resealed the packaging. As closely as I inspected the packaging I could not see anywhere where there was tampering, as if it had been done in the factory.

Criminals are very good at committing crimes.

Except I got my money back. This situation with Apple/Target not refunding money is begging for a class action settlement.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 12:50 pm

There is a law firm in California (Douglas, Haun & Heidemann, P.C.) that is looking to put together a class action lawsuit against Target for this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.