Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: phant0m
************Gift Card Fraud Alert************

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

How can I protect myself?

1) Do not buy a card that has been opened or looks tampered with. Inspect all packaging thoroughly before purchasing. Many posters say that the packaging looks pristine, but the glue seems excessive once opened. Open the package to inspect the glue before you pay for it, if the cashier allows that.

2) Use the card quickly. The card has no value until YOU add money. If you spend your funds before the fraudster figures out that it's loaded, you win. Or at least register your card. That might give you another layer of security but beware it might NOT be bulletproof.

3) Keep your receipts and packaging until your card is liquidated. You will need the receipt to make a claim.

I'll add a few more from the school of hard knocks (also now known as the school of the paranoid MSer)....

4) If it's the only card of its type left on the rack, should you buy it or not? Consider: did the fraudster remove all the other cards so some sucker would quickly come along quickly and buy the card he has placed there purposefully?

5) A corollary to #4: Should you buy the top card in a stack of cards, or dig deeper and pick out one a distance from the top? Did the fraudster put the card he wants some sucker to buy at the top of the stack so it would sell quickly and he could do his evil deed?

6) Open card packages soon after purchase. Don't wait a few days. If anything looks amiss (too much glue inside the pack, too little glue inside, glue in the wrong location, mag stripe doesn't look right, some card numbers illegible), call the 800 number on the back of the card immediately to report it and ask about a replacement.

Each link of Gift Card MS:

1. Gift Card issuer: Vanilla, Metabank, US Bank, Green Dot etc. There can be data hack. It is rare.
2. GC Merchant: grocery and drug stores. Online GC sellers (Simon Mall, Gift Card Mall etc.). The data hack is possible, but rare.
3. Shipping: GCs can be stolen. But this is not fraud.
4. GC Cash Out: Walmart, Dollar General, Family Dollar, CVS etc. This is very rare.

For unsold GCs with bar code exposed, the store is required to destroy the GCs. Fraud can happen when the unsuspecting store staff return the unsold GCs back to the shelf. But it is very rare to have a batch of GCs all tampered and returned to the store shelf.

Here is a web site with information about gift card fraud:

http://www.tripwire.com/state-of-sec...-so-lucrative/

Here are some stores where FT members have experienced fraud:

List of Stores to avoid or be Alert:
(1) Reported by IWOL in So Cal:
VONS => Ventura Blvd & Reseda

Reported by Lovenola:

Ralph's in Downey at 9200 Lakewood Blvd.

Ralph's in Pasadena at 211 E. Foothill Blvd.

Ralph's in Monrovia at 1193 Huntington Dr.

3) Reported by domino007

Ralphs in 13321 Jamboree Rd, Tustin

Ralphs in Irvine on Alton, Walnut and Irvine Blvd

Reported by DaveInLA:
Ralphs in Brea- 305 W Imperial Hwy. VGC was purchased in 12/2014.

Reported by 46sky:
Ralphs in Culver City on Venice Blvd - VGC purchased 2/2015.

Reported by Chrisflyer66:
Ralphs in San Diego on Sports Arena - VGCs purchased in 2014-2015.

Ralph's - 1435 W Chapman Ave, Orange, CA 92868 - Purchased 12/2019

Seems to me that only People in so.Cal are reporting
Print Wikipost

Gift Card Fraud !!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2016, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by AndrewTheMan
Well: I am sad to report I am a victim of the all elaborate OV fraud.

First card I have didn't activate (this was a few weeks ago). Possibly (probably) part of fraud and I am still looking for the packaging and docs.

Today I opened an OV and immediately knew something was off. From the outside this thing looks amazing - inside they did a really bad job with the glue. Checked the balance - it's not active. Checked the expiration on the packing - does not match the card. Found the receipt and am going to that CVS tomorrow. Never had an issue there before.
Why would you go back to the store? Other than to get rid of other faulty cards on the rack, there is nothing they can do. Call incomm instead... You should have done that immediately to make it quicker and ensure the fraudsters don't get away with the money.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 8:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hamokmonky
Why would you go back to the store? Other than to get rid of other faulty cards on the rack, there is nothing they can do. Call incomm instead... You should have done that immediately to make it quicker and ensure the fraudsters don't get away with the money.
I called InComm and filed a report. I went to the CVS to make the manager aware that someone is messing with the cards and if someone else comes in to not accuse/doubt them.

I find it interesting that only one card from each store was bad.. Tells me they are diversifying.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 8:45 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by prasha11
what makes it appear they are all coming in?
I phoned in and asked. Some had processed, some were in the queue, and some were still with the investigator.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 9:21 am

Card Compromised: Kroger New Circle Rd , Lexington, KY

I'm still not certain this fraud is related to the specific location, but I thought I would post anyways. I got my first compromised card last week. Packaging looked perfect as well as the glue on the card. - Only 1 of the 2 cards I purchased at this location was compromised. I will double check and compare the glue on the packaging.

- Card was purchased in Lexington, KY. ~ 50% of funds were used in Houston, TX at what looks like a physical Whataburger location. Card was not darined fully on day 1. It was drained over several days. Many calls using 1Tel.com to prisoners. I had close to 20 charges for $13.19 listed as a transaction fee and equal number of matching charges for $1.80 labelled as a Per Call fee. Also a charge for $30 to DCA call that also seemed to be prisoner related. - One one hand , the charges way over in TX made me wonder if the card was just simply hacked. On the other I noticed that this Kroger just recently changed their policy to limit 1 of these cards per person. (Only this Kroger out of a dozen in my area). I may want to speak with the manager and see if they know of some fishy things going on in there store.

*** I think the fraudster could save a lot of time / money by joining the inmate in prison.

I'll definitely be more careful. I was worried about it at first. - 2 years in, I began to assume it was a "big city problem". My guess is that cloning cards has taken a big hit now that so many places require chip usage for credit cards. Gift cards are the perfect target since they don't come with chips. I cringe when I consider that people actually buy these as gifts!

Last edited by startbyservingothers; Apr 5, 2016 at 9:40 am
Old Apr 5, 2016, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by startbyservingothers
TX made me wonder if the card was just simply hacked. On the other I noticed that this Kroger just recently changed their policy to limit 1 of these cards per person. (Only this Kroger out of a dozen in my area). I may want to speak with the manager and see if they know of some fishy things going on in there store.
I wonder If fraud was serious problem, would have been removed from the rack, my guess is the problem has not touched the threshold point?
Old Apr 5, 2016, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
I phoned in and asked. Some had processed, some were in the queue, and some were still with the investigator.
others have got in less than 2 weeks
Old Apr 5, 2016, 12:39 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Seems like s/he hasn't taken any steps to report their defrauded cards after several weeks now. Just keeps asking similar questions over and over.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by mhdena
Seems like s/he hasn't taken any steps to report their defrauded cards after several weeks now. Just keeps asking similar questions over and over.
are u still waiting for more replacements? I sent 2 faxes (1) to PPD dispute and (2) lost / stolen replacement, should I expect in 2 weeks?
Old Apr 5, 2016, 3:41 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

are u still waiting for more replacements? I sent 2 faxes (1) to PPD dispute and (2) lost / stolen replacement, should I expect in 2 weeks?

I think the take away here is to report the fraud in a timely manner, provide the data requested by the issuer, and follow up as needed. I don't see anything thing in this thread that indicates you should "expect [it] in 2 weeks." Rather, it seems like the process can take a very long time, but seems to be mostly (not always) successful.

It's been said many times about MS, but, bears repeating: Never, ever, ever MS with funds that you can't afford to float.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Hyatt, Hilton
The one thing that I havent been able to figure out is how is the fraud department able to ascertain that it really wasn't me that made the purchases at Walmart?

Its true, I faxed a letter stating that "I declare the above is correct" but for all practical purposes, how are they (the bank or the bank's insurance company) proving that I am really entitled to my money?
Old Apr 5, 2016, 6:33 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
I wonder If fraud was serious problem, would have been removed from the rack, my guess is the problem has not touched the threshold point?
I posted my experience in this thread Mar 10. I asked a couple of questions but did a whole lot more reading, and was reimbursed my $500 GC x4 within 11 days.

Those 4 cards were my threshold, no more from Ralphs for me.

But you keep asking the same questions over and over and evidently keep buying tampered with cards.

And you even asked if the replacements were tampered with? Why would they be? They weren't on a rack out in the open. I'd like to buy direct from here on out if they let me.

Last edited by tcook052; Apr 7, 2016 at 4:37 am
Old Apr 5, 2016, 6:56 pm

others have got in less than 2 weeks
Never in 2 weeks for cards that have unauthorized charges that are disputed.

Last edited by Alcibiades; Apr 6, 2016 at 9:00 am
Old Apr 5, 2016, 11:04 pm

About a month ago I bought 10 $500 visa gift cards for a total of $5000 at a Ralphs in Southern California, and they were all tampered with, mine had some of that super sticky glue that couldn't be pealed off of the card at all, and the expiration dates on the outside of the package did not match the expiration date on the card itself.

Tried to use at Walmart to buy money orders but got a "debit not available error" on the cards I tried. Checked balances on all of the cards and the site gave some sort of card not valid error. Called the support number and they said that the cards were not activated properly and that I needed to fax in the card information and they would activate them. I faxed the info in and checked the next morning and the cards were activated.

Later that afternoon after work I tried to use the cards to buy money orders like I had originally planned, but the cards did not work yet again. Checked the balance online and they were all used at a Rite Aid store in Hemet. Knew at this point it was going to be a major headache so I called the number I had called the previous day to get the cards activated and was told to fax the card information.

A few days later I received a call from US Bank from a very unfriendly lady who stated that because the cards were used with a PIN number and run as debit at the Rite Aid store, I had no recourse and the cards could not be reissued. She basically indirectly accused me of being the one that actually used the cards and I was just trying to get my money back.

For the heck of it, knowing that the actual bank branch would not be able to do anything about my problem, I went to one of those grocery store US Bank locations and told them the story. The man at the bank said that the person that called me was incorrect about me having no recourse, explained the Visa zero liability policy, etc. Told me to keep calling them to press the issue. Basically this was a waste of time but it still satisfied me a bit.

So I called the gift card number again and was told to fax the information again. Again, a few days later I received a call stating that because because they were run as debit with a PIN number used, I was the only one that could have made the purchases and once again I was indirectly accused of using the cards at the Rite Aid store myself.

I purchased the cards at Ralphs with an American Express card, and after realizing that I was not going to get anywhere with US Bank I started the dispute process with Amex. Called them and explained what had happened, and later uploaded copies of my receipts from Ralphs, images of the cards themselves with the yellowish glue that could not be peeled off, images of the packaging with an expiration date different than what was on the cards themselves, screenshots of the transaction logs for each card, and a copy of a news article about gift card fraud in California. Was issued a temporary credit after my initial call.

About a month later, today, I received notice from American Express that the dispute was decided in my favor and the credit was made permanent. I feel bad that in the end, Ralphs was the one to be out the money. I much rather would have had US Bank been the ones to eat the loss, but Ralphs is negligent due to the large amount of Visa gift card fraud occurring at their stores, and them doing seemingly nothing to stop it. I informed the manager of the store about what had happened and he shrugged it off, telling me to take up the issue with the "gift card company", and also refused to take the remaining stock of Visa gift cards off of the shelves, his reason being that he had no proof that they were tampered with and said the packaging on all of them "looked fine".

I will never buy another gift card of any type from a grocery store after this experience, I will buy all my Visa gift cards from Simon malls, where I have never had a problem before in the past, and I like how they keep the cards inaccessible behind the counter before purchase (yes I am aware this does not prevent the Simon cashier from skimming the cards). As an added bonus, their fee ($3.95) is the lowest that I am aware of.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
Never for cards that have unauthorized charges that are disputed.
what else could be the reason for replacement?
Old Apr 6, 2016, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
Never in 2 weeks for cards that have unauthorized charges that are disputed.
what else could be the reason for replacement?
Did you read the post 25 minutes prior ? At 10:04pm

Last edited by Alcibiades; Apr 6, 2016 at 9:43 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.