Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: phant0m
************Gift Card Fraud Alert************

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

How can I protect myself?

1) Do not buy a card that has been opened or looks tampered with. Inspect all packaging thoroughly before purchasing. Many posters say that the packaging looks pristine, but the glue seems excessive once opened. Open the package to inspect the glue before you pay for it, if the cashier allows that.

2) Use the card quickly. The card has no value until YOU add money. If you spend your funds before the fraudster figures out that it's loaded, you win. Or at least register your card. That might give you another layer of security but beware it might NOT be bulletproof.

3) Keep your receipts and packaging until your card is liquidated. You will need the receipt to make a claim.

I'll add a few more from the school of hard knocks (also now known as the school of the paranoid MSer)....

4) If it's the only card of its type left on the rack, should you buy it or not? Consider: did the fraudster remove all the other cards so some sucker would quickly come along quickly and buy the card he has placed there purposefully?

5) A corollary to #4: Should you buy the top card in a stack of cards, or dig deeper and pick out one a distance from the top? Did the fraudster put the card he wants some sucker to buy at the top of the stack so it would sell quickly and he could do his evil deed?

6) Open card packages soon after purchase. Don't wait a few days. If anything looks amiss (too much glue inside the pack, too little glue inside, glue in the wrong location, mag stripe doesn't look right, some card numbers illegible), call the 800 number on the back of the card immediately to report it and ask about a replacement.

Each link of Gift Card MS:

1. Gift Card issuer: Vanilla, Metabank, US Bank, Green Dot etc. There can be data hack. It is rare.
2. GC Merchant: grocery and drug stores. Online GC sellers (Simon Mall, Gift Card Mall etc.). The data hack is possible, but rare.
3. Shipping: GCs can be stolen. But this is not fraud.
4. GC Cash Out: Walmart, Dollar General, Family Dollar, CVS etc. This is very rare.

For unsold GCs with bar code exposed, the store is required to destroy the GCs. Fraud can happen when the unsuspecting store staff return the unsold GCs back to the shelf. But it is very rare to have a batch of GCs all tampered and returned to the store shelf.

Here is a web site with information about gift card fraud:

http://www.tripwire.com/state-of-sec...-so-lucrative/

Here are some stores where FT members have experienced fraud:

List of Stores to avoid or be Alert:
(1) Reported by IWOL in So Cal:
VONS => Ventura Blvd & Reseda

Reported by Lovenola:

Ralph's in Downey at 9200 Lakewood Blvd.

Ralph's in Pasadena at 211 E. Foothill Blvd.

Ralph's in Monrovia at 1193 Huntington Dr.

3) Reported by domino007

Ralphs in 13321 Jamboree Rd, Tustin

Ralphs in Irvine on Alton, Walnut and Irvine Blvd

Reported by DaveInLA:
Ralphs in Brea- 305 W Imperial Hwy. VGC was purchased in 12/2014.

Reported by 46sky:
Ralphs in Culver City on Venice Blvd - VGC purchased 2/2015.

Reported by Chrisflyer66:
Ralphs in San Diego on Sports Arena - VGCs purchased in 2014-2015.

Ralph's - 1435 W Chapman Ave, Orange, CA 92868 - Purchased 12/2019

Seems to me that only People in so.Cal are reporting
Print Wikipost

Gift Card Fraud !!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:05 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Someone else beat me to it, but that is not true. You cannot prove that you did not break it yourself. Claims of this nature are, realistically, never denied, unless you have a history of fraudulent claims. All that they may ask for is that you try to return it to the store, and give them a chance to accept your return.
The reason claims of this nature are seldom denied is because, for a piece of merchandise, it's impossible for the store to prove that it wasn't defective when it was sold. Therefore, the bank will side with the customer, unless, as you mention, they have a history of fraudulent claims. However, a gift card is entirely different. It is very easy for the store to send in evidence that the card was not defective and they loaded the money onto it as agreed.

Are there really problems with people not winning these claims? I haven't seen any in this thread.
I haven't seen any reports in this thread of anyone attempting to file a chargeback in this situation, so we don't really know how it would play out. I doubt very many people would be foolish enough to try it, but feel free to be the guinea pig and report back
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cbn42
I haven't seen any reports in this thread of anyone attempting to file a chargeback in this situation, so we don't really know how it would play out. I doubt very many people would be foolish enough to try it, but feel free to be the guinea pig and report back
If I ever bought a fraudulent gift card, I absolutely would.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by Zgirl
Actually the receipts say accepted, not "approved". Happened to me a few times.
My receipt said Approved as well for the two cards that didn't work. For comparison, I bought two cards with a different credit card, both of which worked, and both of which said activated. So it seems if you get a receipt that says either ACCEPTED or APPROVED instead of ACTIVATED, you now have a little trouble on your hands. Unfortunately, there's really no way of knowing this until you pay. I usually open the cards and check everything thoroughly before paying, but with this brute force hack method, it's a real crap shoot buying US Bank gc's at supermarkets these days.

Anyone who bought from Krogers though and got burned, follow the advice above and they should be able to sort you out much quicker than it would take to fax everything in.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 3:15 pm

IIRC, Kroger receipts only say APPROVED and never say ACTIVATED
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:51 pm

Programs: Too many to list
If I ever bought a fraudulent gift card, I absolutely would.
And risk CC closure because you have 30K worth of groceries and drugs in 2 weeks
Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by ThePointsCollector
And risk CC closure because you have 30K worth of groceries and drugs in 2 weeks
Have you not seen his username. He is a gambler...let him be. If he gets shutdown who cares.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 1:54 am

Programs: Too many to list
Those mofos take nothing for granted. Had GC from Kroger for personal use with 60 dollar balance Last night someone rang up $45 in some Pizza place in LA.
Stay away fro Kroger or BlackHawk cards. I called CS and they know about this. Supervisor basically told me they have no idea what the f is going on. They have had thousands of calls about GC fraud coming out of LA area.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 6:02 am

Inspite of all these reports of fraud from buying GCs issued by BHN, what baffles me is the fact that many FT readers still continue to buy them It's either they have no other source of GCs sold for CCs, or they like the thrill of getting scammed?
Old Apr 3, 2015, 5:26 pm

Those mofos take nothing for granted. Had GC from Kroger for personal use with 60 dollar balance Last night someone rang up $45 in some Pizza place in LA.
Stay away fro Kroger or BlackHawk cards. I called CS and they know about this. Supervisor basically told me they have no idea what the f is going on. They have had thousands of calls about GC fraud coming out of LA area.
I noticed that all the Vons I visited for the last month, (4 Vons), so Cal. All the grey Visa GC (variable ones) are gone with the picture if it with "out of stock" on it. Last night I went to one, they were gone, but they had the special occasion ones, which I bought 2. But the grey one I am talking about always has like 5+ rows of gcs on the rack. Maybe there was some issues with those.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 10:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
It's really relatively simple, GC batches from the same inventory have the same 8 sometimes 12 beginning digits. Expiration date will be the same, or have very little variation. At that point it's just brute forcing combinations and waiting till you have a hit. There are a few e-commerce sites that process purchases without asking for the CVV, or you could write info to mag stripe for in-person swipes.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 3:34 am
XP1

Originally Posted by sam_goh
you could write info to mag stripe for in-person swipes.
Wouldn't you need the discretionary data from the magstripe to do that?
Old Apr 4, 2015, 5:53 am

Programs: Several dozen
Dunno - in states like Colorado it might be completely normal to run up a 30k weekly tab for drugs and munchies!

Old Apr 5, 2015, 7:59 pm

Just got three USBank Visa cards from two different Ralphs in Los Angeles that have been physically tampered with. The three digit codes on the back of the cards were scratched off and the glue tore the pin paper as I pulled it off which never happens on normal cards.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 9:12 pm

Delete.

Last edited by dshelbyjr; Apr 6, 2015 at 10:38 am Reason: Wrong thread.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by ElBurrito
Just got three USBank Visa cards from two different Ralphs in Los Angeles that have been physically tampered with. The three digit codes on the back of the cards were scratched off and the glue tore the pin paper as I pulled it off which never happens on normal cards.
I have never gotten a gc from Ralphs. And because if this, I will never try.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.