Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

New potential troubling Trend at Kroger (money services buying MOs)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2014, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Question for you guys... Been doing the MO thing for a long time at Kroger. (on and off for 3 years) They know me well and we have small talk and they have gotten comfortable with me.

HOWEVER, the last few times i've gone in its gotten a little weird. First time a regular cashier asked to see my ID. I wasnt too bothered by it, I asked if it was a new policy and she said basically, "For the amount that you buy, yes..." She didnt scan it or anything just glanced over it. (maybe she filed a SAR?) But then nobody else has ever asked for again. I thought, no big deal. Well my favorite cashier yesterday (a few weeks later) wouldnt let me get my MO unless I scanned in my Kroger loyalty card first... She said something about them making a point of getting loyalty cards inputted for sales at the money services counter because no body ever does it. (Then she tried to tell me I might get a coupon for a free MO sometime when I buy groceries.... I call BS. probably just another way to track me)

AM I being too paranoid? Anybody else seeing these trends @ Kroger?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:04 am

Yes you're being too paranoid.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by ChurnNBurn
Question for you guys... Been doing the MO thing for a long time at Kroger. (on and off for 3 years) They know me well and we have small talk and they have gotten comfortable with me.

HOWEVER, the last few times i've gone in its gotten a little weird. First time a regular cashier asked to see my ID. I wasnt too bothered by it, I asked if it was a new policy and she said basically, "For the amount that you buy, yes..." She didnt scan it or anything just glanced over it. (maybe she filed a SAR?) But then nobody else has ever asked for again. I thought, no big deal. Well my favorite cashier yesterday (a few weeks later) wouldnt let me get my MO unless I scanned in my Kroger loyalty card first... She said something about them making a point of getting loyalty cards inputted for sales at the money services counter because no body ever does it. (Then she tried to tell me I might get a coupon for a free MO sometime when I buy groceries.... I call BS. probably just another way to track me)

I'd be happy just to be able to buy MOs. Some Kroger are strictly cash only. You are very lucky.

Last edited by goblue77; Jun 26, 2014 at 7:13 am
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:11 am

In my area we have Fred Meyer stores which is in the Kroger family. Although I have never purchased a MO, I do regularly purchase VGCs. Regardless of which store I go to they always take my DL and enter it into their POS. They say they do this for any GC purchase over $100 (or maybe $200).

Several months ago someone took Fred Meyer for over $40k buying VGC with stolen CCs. The policy may have been implemented after that.

I, personally, don't have any problem with it. If simple pro-active steps extend the life of MS then I am all for it.

I also purchase VGC from Walmart. On one occasion a manager came over to the register and took a report -- name, phone, address, DL. It only happened once. I think it was just a CSR who may have been uncomfortable selling $2k worth of VGC.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:18 am
Original Poster

K guys, just what I needed to hear... Sometimes you just need to get some feedback.

All is right in world again.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:28 am

I talked to my Kroger clerk yesterday. She told me $3000>= I have to do ID and fill out a form. However, $2999.99 is no form but they *may* fill out a suspicious activity form anyway. I'm planning on doing $2k or so at a shot from here on out to fly under the radar, other than that all is well.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:31 am

If she "just glanced over" your DL, she didn't fill out a SAR.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tuppins
If she "just glanced over" your DL, she didn't fill out a SAR.
Yeah thats what I figured... I just wonder why she did it all. None of the other cashiers have done it, and I have yet to see her again. Strange. Maybe just to make sure I was a resident of the state? not transient? I come in all the time. Who knows. It must've given peace of mind.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 8:28 am

I just started buying VGC at Kroger. The first time cashier just made sure my CC and DL names match. The 2nd and 3rd time, they input my DL into the system. I bought 1K every time using Amex GC.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 8:35 am

Why dont you just get a new loyalty card, and registrar it under some fake name/address.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daw4888
Why dont you just get a new loyalty card, and registrar it under some fake name/address.
Genius!

Just for fun I checked to see if I would get fuel points for a MO purchase.

I did not.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 9:04 am

Programs: Hyatt, SPG, IHG, UAL
I have had that happen to me at my Kroger when purchasing a single VGC for $500. Does make me feel a little "icky" I still do it because it is not a large amount and I don't do it that often. I do wonder what is going on.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by daw4888
But what if the OP gets a coupon for a free MO like the OP said from what the cashier said to him/her.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 9:17 am

My loyalty card used to be under Gary President. The cashiers had to follow a rule back then, when they handed you your receipt they had to thank you by name.

"Thank you, Mr. President." Boy did they hate that rule...
Old Jun 26, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: AA (one day at a time) DL, US, IMF, NSA (I'm watching you!)
Ralphs, Fuel Points

Genius!

Just for fun I checked to see if I would get fuel points for a MO purchase.

I did not.
I got DOUBLE fuel points for buying USBGC's at Ralphs (also Kroger) yesterday

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.