Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

New potential troubling Trend at Kroger (money services buying MOs)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New potential troubling Trend at Kroger (money services buying MOs)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2014, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
It does not -- at least not in code that you copied from others. Try googling 5u5p3c7 for example.
LOL folks take things way too seriously around here it was a joke hence the smiley.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 8:58 pm

Today at Chroger as I was walking up to the counter (still ten to fifteen feet away) the cashier starts typing in the money order on the machine. He had the first one ready to swipe before I even got up there. As I get to the counter, "how many today?". So of course, I"m thinking... he's cool, he likes me. But, then there it is. He pulls out his little form and asks me to hand him my DL and SSN.

Is this possibly (mostly) to cover their own asses, in case the store is accused of using MO's to hide other illegal activity? Filling in a log with MO #'s, with DL and SSN of the people who purchase them just doesn't seem like an effective way to do much else.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by joqaelyzm
But, then there it is. He pulls out his little form and asks me to hand him my DL and SSN.
Does that mean he asked you to hand him your actual social security card? I have to wonder how many money launderers give out the correct number when verbally asked.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:17 pm

That is sketchy! What's the worst that could happen if you give them the incorrect number?
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by airstairfear
Does that mean he asked you to hand him your actual social security card? I have to wonder how many money launderers give out the correct number when verbally asked.
I'm more than happy to hand over my DL but I draw the line at putting my SSN down on a sheet of paper that anyone that works there can take a look at.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Codename47
That is sketchy! What's the worst that could happen if you give them the incorrect number?
Have you ever had a hard day at work and accidentally transposed two numbers? What about when you down a 40oz in the car on the way to WM, slur your speech a bit and the other person hears "1" when you meant to say "9". People make mistakes. $8/hr employees maybe more than most.

Also, think about if the SSN is eventually typed in somewhere. Now look at your numpad and think of all the times you typed a 2 instead of a 5. Clerks can do the same thing. Again, people make mistakes. Most of the time it's them and not you. Right? If someone writes down my number wrong that is not my problem. The store managers should hire better people I guess.

Last edited by airstairfear; Jun 30, 2014 at 9:52 pm
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:48 pm

The first time that he asked for a soc, he actually asked for the card. I said I didn't have it, which is true. So he asked for the number. Ever since he's asked for the number. Usually, he even turns the sheet around and has me write it on there for him. I write slowly, taking time to read the rest of the page as I do.

I provide the correct SSN. If I had a fake ID, then I MAY consider faking both. But faking one and not the other just ties a lie to the lying individual. I don't need that.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:51 pm

For what it's worth, I will have purchased $30k worth of money orders at Chrogher this month.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by payeco
I'm more than happy to hand over my DL but I draw the line at putting my SSN down on a sheet of paper that anyone that works there can take a look at.
Yeah, especially if they can get your birthday on line. A DL is a governmental document. That should be more than enough.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 6:18 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I saw a memo at my local grocer last night. It stated that cashiers aren't allowed to manually key in numbers of a credit card if the transaction doesn't go through with a normal swipe. It was the store that is the subject of this thread. I believe that the problems are related to fraud. I don't think they care about MS if they aren't losing money.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 11:12 am

The cashier took my DL and typed the numbers. That was for $300 only!
Old Jul 2, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: DL PM Reserve
Originally Posted by bvlova
The cashier took my DL and typed the numbers. That was for $300 only!
First time buying $100 or more in GCs of any type there? $100 mark always triggers the DL number type in. No black helicopters, just there tracking so they can black list you once you start coming in for $10k a day, like some idiots do.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by ATL787
First time buying $100 or more in GCs of any type there? $100 mark always triggers the DL number type in. No black helicopters, just there tracking so they can black list you once you start coming in for $10k a day, like some idiots do.
I concur.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by ATL787
+1 and they do it for store/restaurant gift cards too once you hit $100. My only complaint is I wish they could just scan them like CVS (because the cashiers always struggle reading my info).
Old Jul 2, 2014, 6:04 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
entering DL number must be new or starting this month, atleast in my area. just encountered it myself for the first time.

nothing of the sort was done/required until last month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.