Buying Metabank Gift Cards online

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 11, 14, 1:44 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: vinhboy
Wiki Link
UNDEAD - All Cards for Sale Online Were Pulled By MetaBank, But Some May Once Again Be Available (see #374)

Doctor of Credit has detailed write up here

Limits
MasterCard gift card: $1,000 limit, $4.95 activation fee
Travel MasterCard card: $1,500 limit, $6.95 activation fee
Reloadable Visa card: $3 monthly fee, loads every 7 days.
Youth card: $1,500 limit, $6.95 activation fee & $3 monthly fee

It looks like you can also do ATM withdrawals with the travel card (cost of $1.50 per withdrawal), this could come in handy if you have any owner/operator fee free ATMs near you. To view these cards follow these instructions:

Buy It
Go to https://www.metabank.com/personal/cards
Click “Buy MasterCard Gift Cards online”

PIN
- Yes you can set a pin

Cash Advance
- BOA, Chase, Barclay Arrival are purchases, No CA
- Citi and US Bank are Cash Advances, Yes CA
- Discover, No CA, ref (make sure you CA limit is not set to $0) ref

Features & Other
- Walmart billpay works with this card (Chase and Barclay confirmed)
- Evolve does not recognize the MC as debit
- Reloadable Visa works with Evolve
- Reloadable Visa works with BB.
- Temporary shutdowns have occurred.
- Once you have used the temp card, a card with your name will be sent to you about a week later.

***Contrary to Terms, 1k in loads are possible every 7+ days. Day 1, load. Next 7 days, loads are not possible due to "exceeding the limit in a 7 day period." After 7 days have passed, another online load is possible. Online myprepaidbalance.com accepts Visa, MC, Discover.***
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 16, 14, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Buying Metabank Gift Cards online

I just saw this on another forum. Metabank sells MC GC in denominations up to 1,000 with 4.95 fee. And a travel card that you can purchase with a CC up to 1,500 for 6.95. Looks like you can then take out that whole 1500 at an ATM for only 1.50 or purchase a money order. Has anyone bought these. It sounds a bit too good to be true.

https://secure.myprepaidbalance.com/sales/Product/Gift
Old Jun 16, 14, 4:58 pm

Programs: US/AA, UA, AS, BA, IHG, HGP
Sounds a lot like the AAA gift cards. On those they track your purchases and ban you from buying more lol
Old Jun 16, 14, 4:58 pm

Dead link.
Old Jun 16, 14, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Peridot83 View Post
I just saw this on another forum. Metabank sells MC GC in denominations up to 1,000 with 4.95 fee. And a travel card that you can purchase with a CC up to 1,500 for 6.95. Looks like you can then take out that whole 1500 at an ATM for only 1.50 or purchase a money order. Has anyone bought these. It sounds a bit too good to be true.

https://secure.myprepaidbalance.com/sales/Product/Gift
I just went to the Metabank website and looked around. Indeed, you can buy these with a credit card. I don't think you can withdraw ALL $1500 on the travel card product for $1.50 since no ATM will dispense that amount that I know of. However, a $1000 GIFT CARD for $4.95 looks to a be a great deal. Isn't that better than beans?

I would still buy the staples 200 VGC using my Chase INK Visa to get the 5x UR points and get the 1% back on the Visa Savings Edge but for making my minimum spend for the AA Exec card, this might be worthwhile. It depends if Citi will classify this as a cash advance though.
Old Jun 16, 14, 6:00 pm

Programs: SW CP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Its actually buried pretty deep on the metabank website this is the link
Old Jun 16, 14, 6:01 pm

I so want to buy one....
Old Jun 16, 14, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by ftomasze View Post
Its actually buried pretty deep on the metabank website this is the link
That link is also broken, do you need an account to see the sales link?
Old Jun 16, 14, 6:49 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Go here and click on the links from there:

https://www.metabank.com/personal/cards

But, what I don't understand is how/why people are assuming that you can get a PIN with any of these cards? I don't see that listed anywhere in the "features" or anything.

EDIT: I see where it mentions it now. I'm willing to be the guinnea pig...
Old Jun 16, 14, 7:00 pm

And if anyone is planning on buying it looks like the $1K GC is going to be a better bet, 4.95 fee but NO "debit purchase" fee. The travel card has a $0.50 debit fee, if your unloading to BB your looking at adding another $1 to the purchase price bringing your cost per $500 to $2.65 opposed to $2.47 for the GC.
Old Jun 16, 14, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by SkinsFan0521 View Post
EDIT: I see where it mentions it now. I'm willing to be the guinnea pig...
^
Old Jun 16, 14, 7:07 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by VizeL View Post
^
But, I'm not willing to be the guinea pig for buying on a US Bank or Citi card. I'd love to know the answers to if they'll be coded as cash advances, but not enough to try.

I did just buy a travel card with a Barclay's card though... we'll see how that goes.
Old Jun 16, 14, 7:10 pm

I just bought one.

Your order has been placed!

Thank you for your order. We are processing your order and you should expect to recieve your order within 4 - 7 business days. If you ordered multiple cards, each card is sent individually and may not arrive together on the same day.
/guinea pig

Bought with Chase Southwest. 1 card, 1k balance.

No shipping cost btw. To be honest, for people that like to maximize value, obviously AmEx GC through a portal is going to be better. I personally don't do portals, I'd rather pay a bit of money and not have to worry about tracking issues, waiting for payments, liquidating AmEx GC, etc.

So maybe this keeps some life.

I can see how Metabank gets some value. They don't have to split any money with the merchant. With a cheap enough agreement with the postal service it probably pays off a bit for them.
Old Jun 16, 14, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by SkinsFan0521 View Post
But, I'm not willing to be the guinea pig for buying on a US Bank or Citi card. I'd love to know the answers to if they'll be coded as cash advances, but not enough to try.

I did just buy a travel card with a Barclay's card though... we'll see how that goes.
Whats the temp auth say in your pending transactions?
Old Jun 16, 14, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by ftomasze View Post
Whats the temp auth say in your pending transactions?
06/16/2014 Pending SIMPLEXES ONLINE SALES $1,004.95
Old Jun 16, 14, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by hamhead View Post
06/16/2014 Pending SIMPLEXES ONLINE SALES $1,004.95
Same for mine on my Barclay's. But, I don't know what it would say if it were going to be a cash advance vs a credit charge.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: