Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

I think using Amazon Payments for MS is unethical

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 12, 14, 9:20 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: rgAAFT
Wiki Link
Please disclose any conflicts of interest

Do we really need wiki for this?
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 12, 14, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Among many different ongoing MS techniques, AP might be the easiest. But I think it is not ethical. I know there are people here who care about these things. Just wanted to know what you thoughts are.

Here is what I'm thinking. Amazon built this service to facilitate their payments for purchases, donations, etc. They don't charge fees on the first 1000$ each month to promote their business even though they have to pay 2-4% =20-40$ on credit card transaction fees. Also, to avoid the fees people use goods/services as the reason for their payment which is a complete lie!
Old Jun 12, 14, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

seems someone owns some Amazon stk
Old Jun 12, 14, 10:23 am

You're preaching to the wrong audience here...

Do whatever you're comfortable with. People set different ethical "lines" which they will not cross. If yours is Amazon Payments, then that's perfectly fine. Others may feel like "sticking it to the man" and gouging AP for the credit card fees to earn a few miles. Amazon is a big company...they can take care of themselves.
Old Jun 12, 14, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz View Post
seems someone owns some Amazon stk
If their stock price is going change by this, they'll soon stop this.
Old Jun 12, 14, 10:44 am

Maybe it should also be unethical to buy a gift card with a credit card? After all, 3% of a $500 gift card is $15 the store has to pay in card fees.
Old Jun 12, 14, 10:44 am

If it wasn't profitable they would end it. It could just be a cost of doing business to them and a drop in the bucket. Who really cares anyway.
Old Jun 12, 14, 10:48 am

Ethics are very subjective. Many would argue that MS in itself is unethical. Won't stop me from doing it though.
Old Jun 12, 14, 10:54 am

At the volume they're pushing, I doubt they pay more than 1%. I'd be surprised if they even paid above .5%
Old Jun 12, 14, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by mohammadmoghimi View Post
Here is what I'm thinking. Amazon built this service to facilitate their payments for purchases, donations, etc. They don't charge fees on the first 1000$ each month to promote their business even though they have to pay 2-4% =20-40$ on credit card transaction fees. Also, to avoid the fees people use goods/services as the reason for their payment which is a complete lie!
Whats wrong with U?
U have no idea how to run a business, little girls may do better than U running a lemonade stand.
Since this service was introduced Amazon is the fastest growing company, a foot in the banking/finance business, think about the Paypal business growth! Amazon Payments software has been simple and solid, never has any issues

Last edited by prasha11; Jun 12, 14 at 11:18 am
Old Jun 12, 14, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by prasha11 View Post
Since this service was introduced Amazon is the fastest growing company
Old Jun 12, 14, 11:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Well as a business strategy it's not been a dumb one, net profit aside.

Bezos always wanted to be #1 in whatever industry/goods they sold. If you think about it, can you name 3 websites that sell books? Ok, what about 5, 10? Even if you could name 20, there's got to be thousands.... that languish away where everyone still goes to Amazon because their idea of growing to be #1 at all costs is to...... not worry about making very little money
Old Jun 12, 14, 12:24 pm

Don't use a service or MS method you find unethical.
Old Jun 12, 14, 1:14 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
Like most things amazon, it is a loss leader for them. That is why they do it. If it substantially hurt their business, they would shut it down, much like Amex would with 5% blue cash.
Old Jun 12, 14, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Squeezer View Post
Whom are you, and why should I care about your opinion?
You don't have to. I just wanted to know others' opinions and how they justify using AP for free.
Old Jun 12, 14, 2:39 pm

LOL. Yes, let's all look out for business, because they always make our best interests their top priority.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: