FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   I think using Amazon Payments for MS is unethical (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1584789-i-think-using-amazon-payments-ms-unethical.html)

mohammadmoghimi Jun 12, 2014 9:13 am

I think using Amazon Payments for MS is unethical

Among many different ongoing MS techniques, AP might be the easiest. But I think it is not ethical. I know there are people here who care about these things. Just wanted to know what you thoughts are.

Here is what I'm thinking. Amazon built this service to facilitate their payments for purchases, donations, etc. They don't charge fees on the first 1000$ each month to promote their business even though they have to pay 2-4% =20-40$ on credit card transaction fees. Also, to avoid the fees people use goods/services as the reason for their payment which is a complete lie!

craz Jun 12, 2014 9:23 am

seems someone owns some Amazon stk

blt7cd Jun 12, 2014 9:23 am

You're preaching to the wrong audience here...

Do whatever you're comfortable with. People set different ethical "lines" which they will not cross. If yours is Amazon Payments, then that's perfectly fine. Others may feel like "sticking it to the man" and gouging AP for the credit card fees to earn a few miles. Amazon is a big company...they can take care of themselves.

mohammadmoghimi Jun 12, 2014 9:42 am

Originally Posted by craz (Post 23022525)
seems someone owns some Amazon stk

If their stock price is going change by this, they'll soon stop this.

blt7cd Jun 12, 2014 9:44 am

Maybe it should also be unethical to buy a gift card with a credit card? After all, 3% of a $500 gift card is $15 the store has to pay in card fees.

ibleed0range Jun 12, 2014 9:44 am

If it wasn't profitable they would end it. It could just be a cost of doing business to them and a drop in the bucket. Who really cares anyway.

GeorgeMilesArnold Jun 12, 2014 9:48 am

Ethics are very subjective. Many would argue that MS in itself is unethical. Won't stop me from doing it though.

VizeL Jun 12, 2014 9:54 am

At the volume they're pushing, I doubt they pay more than 1%. I'd be surprised if they even paid above .5%

prasha11 Jun 12, 2014 10:11 am

Originally Posted by mohammadmoghimi (Post 23022461)
Here is what I'm thinking. Amazon built this service to facilitate their payments for purchases, donations, etc. They don't charge fees on the first 1000$ each month to promote their business even though they have to pay 2-4% =20-40$ on credit card transaction fees. Also, to avoid the fees people use goods/services as the reason for their payment which is a complete lie!

Whats wrong with U?
U have no idea how to run a business, little girls may do better than U running a lemonade stand.
Since this service was introduced Amazon is the fastest growing company, a foot in the banking/finance business, think about the Paypal business growth! Amazon Payments software has been simple and solid, never has any issues

hamhead Jun 12, 2014 10:26 am

Originally Posted by prasha11 (Post 23022782)
Since this service was introduced Amazon is the fastest growing company

http://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibti...zn-chart_0.jpg

sam_goh Jun 12, 2014 10:30 am

Well as a business strategy it's not been a dumb one, net profit aside.

Bezos always wanted to be #1 in whatever industry/goods they sold. If you think about it, can you name 3 websites that sell books? Ok, what about 5, 10? Even if you could name 20, there's got to be thousands.... that languish away where everyone still goes to Amazon because their idea of growing to be #1 at all costs is to...... not worry about making very little money :)

ashap Jun 12, 2014 11:24 am

Don't use a service or MS method you find unethical.

maksimfa Jun 12, 2014 12:14 pm

Like most things amazon, it is a loss leader for them. That is why they do it. If it substantially hurt their business, they would shut it down, much like Amex would with 5% blue cash.

mohammadmoghimi Jun 12, 2014 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Squeezer (Post 23023612)
Whom are you, and why should I care about your opinion?

You don't have to. I just wanted to know others' opinions and how they justify using AP for free.

CrediPig Jun 12, 2014 1:39 pm

LOL. Yes, let's all look out for business, because they always make our best interests their top priority.