Wiki Posts
Search

$3.95 off on VR Load > $50

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2014, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold/HH Diamond/CC Gold/Hyatt Explorist
$3.95 off on VR Load > $50

I was in a local gas station today that only sells VRs with a debit card. There was a sign on the rack saying they were offering $3.95 off on a VR load of >$50.

This got me thinking it might be a great opportunity to liquidate some $200 gift cards purchased with my Ink credit card. I will test this out and report back.

Has anyone else seen this offering at other VR retailers? It might not last long but could be great for awhile.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Nehawk
I was in a local gas station today that only sells VRs with a debit card. There was a sign on the rack saying they were offering $3.95 off on a VR load of >$50.

This got me thinking it might be a great opportunity to liquidate some $200 gift cards purchased with my Ink credit card. I will test this out and report back.

Has anyone else seen this offering at other VR retailers? It might not last long but could be great for awhile.
I know the Murphy Oil Gas stations have been offering $5 back with any gift or reload purchase...so you actually make money on most purchases.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 11:33 am

guys, where are the VRs located in the gas stations? I've checked out a few convenience stores at gas stations and never see any gift cards or reloads in sight. Then I get uncomfortable and leave....
Old Jun 6, 2014, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Pecan Pie
guys, where are the VRs located in the gas stations? I've checked out a few convenience stores at gas stations and never see any gift cards or reloads in sight. Then I get uncomfortable and leave....
In the gas stations I frequent there is a gift card/prepaid phone display tower that is most often placed down the auto supplies aisle so it won't block the more visited aisles.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by hornagain
I know the Murphy Oil Gas stations have been offering $5 back with any gift or reload purchase...so you actually make money on most purchases.
The Murphy station I just visited was hard coded to only take cash or debit.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by jackal3000
The Murphy station I just visited was hard coded to only take cash or debit.
Yeah this would be a great way to liquidate Staples $200 VGCs though since it eliminates the fee or actually earns you a dollar in the Murphy case. That $1.05 profit brings the effective activation fee of the Staples VGC down to $3.83 (when you also include the VSE cash back). Not a bad deal for a 1000 UR points on Ink.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 11:21 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G

which gas station?

Originally Posted by TheMacallan
In the gas stations I frequent there is a gift card/prepaid phone display tower that is most often placed down the auto supplies aisle so it won't block the more visited aisles.
which gas station?

Originally Posted by payeco
Yeah this would be a great way to liquidate Staples $200 VGCs though since it eliminates the fee or actually earns you a dollar in the Murphy case. That $1.05 profit brings the effective activation fee of the Staples VGC down to $3.83 (when you also include the VSE cash back). Not a bad deal for a 1000 UR points on Ink.
the Murphy's $5 deal, does that just print out as a separate receipt when you buy the VR or is it a rebate or how exactly do you get that credit back esp when using a generic GC?
Old Jun 7, 2014, 4:50 am

I was in a gas station today, in some state, in some random country and they were offering $500 off of a $500 load offering 10x points, yada, yada

no value without any details... whats the point
Old Jun 7, 2014, 6:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kingrat
I was in a gas station today, in some state, in some random country and they were offering $500 off of a $500 load offering 10x points, yada, yada

Murphys. Went to cash or cash/debit recently. Not an easy play imo.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 9:51 am

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day but teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

In my opinion, this was a great share, as it provides some hints to those willing to put in some effort and doesn't explicitly state the details such that the lazy hordes don't pillage it. It is also my opinion that if you PM'ed him and asked nicely he'd probably tell you.

If you want a turn key solution, best to stick to the blogs. But then again, they don't make a commission off of MS, so they only help you enough to meet minimum spend for what they do make money off of. Last thing they want is you going somewhere else (FT) for your info, CC links, and enlightenment, so they give you enough to get by, barely.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold/HH Diamond/CC Gold/Hyatt Explorist

It was at a Kum 'n Go in Iowa. One of the retailers on the VR website. Sorry for being so cryptic.

The point of the thread was sharing that VRs had a promotion in my area that may apply across many VR retailers and to point out that it may be a good way to liquidate without incurring additional fees, visiting WM, etc.

Last edited by Nehawk; Jun 7, 2014 at 10:34 am
Old Jun 8, 2014, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Originally Posted by zozeppelin
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day but teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
How about: You give a man a fish, you feed him for a day; but if you just hold the fish in front of him and don't give him anything, you're being mean.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 7:47 pm

It was at a Kum 'n Go in Iowa. One of the retailers on the VR website. Sorry for being so cryptic.

The point of the thread was sharing that VRs had a promotion in my area that may apply across many VR retailers and to point out that it may be a good way to liquidate without incurring additional fees, visiting WM, etc.
I checked out three Kum 'n Go in my area. The $3.95 deal is for My Vanilla Debit card and not for VRs. You pay in full for the MVD and then a few days later $3.95 get credited to the account. Weird thing was in spite of the sign for the deal, there wasn't a single MVD on the rack in any of the three stores.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 8:48 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Kum n Gos don't take CC for VRs.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Preacher7
Kum n Gos don't take CC for VRs.
You are right, they don't. The point of the OP was to use the VGCs as a debit card to buy VRs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.