Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

6/8-6/14 Office Depot buy $150 of Amex Gift cards get $15 back

6/8-6/14 Office Depot buy $150 of Amex Gift cards get $15 back

Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:38 pm

Programs: Deltaskymiles gold, HHonors gold, Continental OnePass, SLH, AAdvantage
The restrictions are in multiple stores in the east coast corridor. Time for a trip to Chicago
Old Jun 11, 2014, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA
Liquidating those 100 face value Amex gift cards is pain in the .... Not sure if CVS/Walgreens/RA allows multiple swipes to buy one vanilla.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL PLT, AS 75k, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by beyond986
Liquidating those 100 face value Amex gift cards is pain in the .... Not sure if CVS/Walgreens/RA allows multiple swipes to buy one vanilla.
It's obvious YMMV by cashier, but yes, you can swipe multiple cards to cover the total cost of a transaction in CVS. There is some limit to the number of cards...it's something like 6 or 7. Higher than Walmart's swipe limit.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by floressalicis
It's obvious YMMV by cashier, but yes, you can swipe multiple cards to cover the total cost of a transaction in CVS. There is some limit to the number of cards...it's something like 6 or 7. Higher than Walmart's swipe limit.
You do get 7 at CVS, but driver's license swipe counts against the total (not relevant here where you are only buying one $500 card at a time). I've already liquidated a lot of these at RA, so you get at least 6 swipes there.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by sechs
You guys are losing your touch.

I walked into the closest OM and found tons and tons of $100 AmEx GCs on the rack.
It certainly looks like I am the only person who is buying them at my store, bought $600 each time when I dropped packages there, plenty on the shelf.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 6:48 pm

Programs: All of them!
Originally Posted by BigDawgFT
You do get 7 at CVS, but driver's license swipe counts against the total (not relevant here where you are only buying one $500 card at a time). I've already liquidated a lot of these at RA, so you get at least 6 swipes there.
My experience has not been that the DL counts as one of your 7 swipes. I have not tried to do 8 swipes without a DL scan, but I have often done 7 with one. Also, the CVS registers are smart enough to get the balance on an Amex GC and drain it automatically - no need to have the cashier enter the amount. Just swipe one, repeat 5x, and use your CC of choice as the 7th card to pay the remaining balance. This also works for Amex prepaid rebate cards, although I haven't had any luck doing it with non-PINnable Visa rebate cards. Whether cashiers will allow you to pay with a GC that doesn't have your name on it is YMMV obviously.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Thanks a lot OP! I wish I had known about this deal earlier in the week. Between my job and home, there are 3 Office Max. I stopped at each one yesterday and plan to stop at them all again today. "Unfortunately" no work tomorrow so I will only be able to visit 1 store for the rest of the week. Just hope that no one remembers me or that my Ink doesn't yell about so many repeated same transaction amounts. I did buy a GC that I needed that night (restaurant) during one visit.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by floressalicis
Originally Posted by Lemma
My experience has not been that the DL counts as one of your 7 swipes. I have not tried to do 8 swipes without a DL scan, but I have often done 7 with one. Also, the CVS registers are smart enough to get the balance on an Amex GC and drain it automatically - no need to have the cashier enter the amount. Just swipe one, repeat 5x, and use your CC of choice as the 7th card to pay the remaining balance. This also works for Amex prepaid rebate cards, although I haven't had any luck doing it with non-PINnable Visa rebate cards. Whether cashiers will allow you to pay with a GC that doesn't have your name on it is YMMV obviously.
Same for me. The DL swipe does not count against your 7 total. This only applies to payment methods. Someone in the CVS thread mentioned that this includes cash so you can't do 7 swipes and then expect to pay the remainder in cash.

@Lemma, in case you didn't know, like I didn't before a few months ago, you can actually just call the Amex number on the back of your card and have them refund you the amount for Amex prepaid rebate cards. They can either send you a check (15 biz days I think) or do an ACH transfer to your acct. (This takes about 8 biz days for me.)
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by cdancer20
Same for me. The DL swipe does not count against your 7 total. This only applies to payment methods. Someone in the CVS thread mentioned that this includes cash so you can't do 7 swipes and then expect to pay the remainder in cash.

@Lemma, in case you didn't know, like I didn't before a few months ago, you can actually just call the Amex number on the back of your card and have them refund you the amount for Amex prepaid rebate cards. They can either send you a check (15 biz days I think) or do an ACH transfer to your acct. (This takes about 8 biz days for me.)
what does has to do with this thread....
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by kingrat
what does has to do with this thread....
If you are referring to the Amex prepaid rebate card info, just throwing an FYI out there while giving direct information related to this thread.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 1:48 pm

Anyone have issues with these prepaid cards. I've been liquidating via CVS. Yesterday, I had a problem with 2 out of 6 and today 1 out of 4. The problem is that when I swipe it and give the cashier the last 4 digits, it says "Another Payment required" or something like that. I verified the balance on the first two yesterday. However, they worked today but another failed. My assumption is that I've tried liquidating them too fast so they aren't fully activated but just questioning if anyone else has better insight. Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2014, 3:38 pm

Anyone have issues with these prepaid cards. I've been liquidating via CVS. Yesterday, I had a problem with 2 out of 6 and today 1 out of 4. The problem is that when I swipe it and give the cashier the last 4 digits, it says "Another Payment required" or something like that. I verified the balance on the first two yesterday. However, they worked today but another failed. My assumption is that I've tried liquidating them too fast so they aren't fully activated but just questioning if anyone else has better insight. Thanks!
No problems to date, and I've liqudiated a lot, and some very soon after purchase. Perhaps cashier is putting in the wrong four numbers?
Old Jun 12, 2014, 3:44 pm

No problems to date, and I've liqudiated a lot, and some very soon after purchase. Perhaps cashier is putting in the wrong four numbers?
Naw I trust the cashiers (two of my go-to people that I have found). Plus I tried the failed cards more than once before giving up.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 5:09 pm

Programs: DL PLT, AS 75k, AA Exec Plat
The Amex cards definitely don't activate right away. I don't know exactly how long it takes, but it's absolutely not instantaneous. I've tried buying one then walking next door to a store to use it and it never works. But if I let it sit for an hour or so, then it works.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.