Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Purchasing multiple prepaid cards at RA at the same time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:43 am
Original Poster

I have been trying to buy some PP cash cards and OVs at the same time at several RAs this month and my trusty RA has recently been enforcing the "$500 per prepaid card transaction" rule which I had no issue in the past. My trusty RA has not had issues in the past. I went to another RA store and they enforced the same damn thing. Even 1 RA manager at another store said it was in place since July 2013.

Typically I just buy a few PP cards and were able to do it all in 1 transaction and just this month I am trying to buy some OVs from there as well to take some load off of CVS. I was hoping that RA would be a good backup to CVS.

Has anyone had experience this before where they have to ring you separately for each individual stinkin card? It is a pain if you want to buy $4K worth of prepaid cards where they have to ring you up 8 times. 1 RA manager told me the corporate policy is in place because they are afraid people's CCs won't allow a transaction greater than $500 . Its like c'mon give me a break here.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Bought 2k on 1 receipt last week.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kxc262
Bought 2k on 1 receipt last week.
Yeah I figured I just need to keep trying out different RAs and their cashiers that don't bat an eye when I want to buy this much. As soon as they have to try to look for policy I am screwed. I was able to buy $2K before on multiple occassions as well which is why I was shocked when I heard about this.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 1:23 pm

Last edited by gloreglabert; Dec 6, 2022 at 1:42 pm
Old Jun 4, 2014, 2:09 pm

I have 2 RAs. 1 sells me one at a time; the other rings them all up at once.

On another note, I visited an RA out of town this week, and they told be "cash only", because they were getting hit hard with fraud.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gloreglabert
The registers do not enforce this rule, but it's definitely a corporate rule on the books. An utterly ridiculous rule that nobody has ever given me a reason for, but an actual rule nonetheless. If you don't have it enforced, great, but if you do, don't make a scene and move on.
Right I know the registers don't enforce the rule because I have been buying multiple prepaid cards in a single transaction at RAs for several months and none have enforced that rule until yesterday. I don't make a scene. I just politely tell them that I can't do 8 transactions in a row and that I would have to call my bank and come back later and leave. The most ridiculous part is that RA policy allows you to buy $10K in prepaid cards a day which is higher than CVS. Imagine doing 20 x $500 transactions. Talk about pure waste of receipt paper.

The ironic thing is I think if you do 8 x $500 transactions in a row it actually triggers fraud alert more than if you did a single $4K transaction especially if you have been doing large purchases before. If it is truly fraud then the transaction won't go through...its as simple as that. For them to say it is because they think our CCs are not capable of handling > $500 is pure BS. Oh well. Just gotta find out what the deal is at more RAs.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 3:03 pm

Yeah I ran into this at a new RA last week. The cashier checked some memo behind the register and consulted with the manager. I was only getting 1k so it was NBD.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 3:37 pm

Different RAs in our area and different cashiers will do one at a time or the entire batch. Most I have done at one time is 8. When they do one at a time, have had the cc declined on multiple repetative orders with different cc's.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 3:41 pm

2 out of my 3 RA's do separate xactions. Only 1 lets me do multiple. I thought they limited to $500 due to Green Dot activation issues when you buy multiple cards since the receipt only shows last 4 of the GD being 0000. I know 3 coworkers who had GD activation issues that had to go back to RA to get the refund. I don't mind the separate (esp for MP's) since I go early in morning and only do $3K per trip. Pretty fast and no line builds up.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
I have several different RAs and all are very different. Different ammts allowed, different rules, all insisting THEIRS is the corp policy. I roll with it.

For anything green dot it is almost imperative that you WANT things to be run separately. I speak of this here:

http://mileageupdate.com/monkey-pak/

but to be honest, I think we should all take a hint from other gigs and stores that have changed for the worst in the past several months and just stop posting about RA altogether. that is to say: We want to do everything we can to PROLONG this craft, not the other way around.

MM
Old Jun 4, 2014, 4:31 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
The ironic thing is I think if you do 8 x $500 transactions in a row it actually triggers fraud alert ... If it is truly fraud then the transaction won't go through...
I'd say 3 or more of the same repetitive transactions, especially at the same store in a similar timeframe will set off fraud alert.

Last edited by FTR 787; Jun 4, 2014 at 5:01 pm
Old Jun 4, 2014, 4:57 pm

Sorry- what's an "RA"? (And I did look in the Glossary before posting)
Old Jun 4, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: Delta PM | US PP | Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by maxmnx
rheumatoid arthritis
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: Anywhere I can ski...
Originally Posted by john doe iii
rheumatoid arthritis
^
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:35 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis CC, Continental Onepass
Originally Posted by maxmnx
Rite Aid

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.