Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much do you make

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2014, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by skibum7732
Spreadsheets are mandatory if you are running any kind of serious #'s. If you are ever audited...you will wish you had detailed spreadsheets showing where all the $ is coming from/going to.
I think spreadsheets are overrated. Keep all of your receipts. File them in a somewhat coherent manner. That should be all you need.

I'm willing to bet that on a probability-weighted basis, the time you spend with spreadsheets is far more than the time you would need to spend organizing receipts and figuring out needed info in the unlikely event of an audit
Old Jun 9, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: Several dozen
Well, I think shoeboxes full of receipts are also overrated. Large size zip lock baggies are much better and take up less space.

Originally Posted by toxicity
...I think spreadsheets are overrated...
Old Jun 9, 2014, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Well, I think shoeboxes full of receipts are also overrated. Large size zip lock baggies are much better and take up less space.
If someone ever breaks into my apartment, they will assume that I am the owner of the world's largest shoe collection
Old Jun 9, 2014, 9:20 am

Just going a bit off topic but the way I count my profits and earnings per hour is that I consider each 1k of MS'ing to be worth $40, based on a 5% CB card or equivalent value in points earned minus fees. Out of this $40, half of it is earned on doing the spending and the other half is on liquidating. So if I go and buy $2k in gift cards and then go to walmart and liquidate $4k by BP's, in the span of a half hour, I'll count that as $120 in profits ($40 from purchasing and $80 in liquidating).

Just interested in knowing how any of you count in a similar manner or with a different valuation for spending/liquidating.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by njdealguy
Just going a bit off topic but the way I count my profits and earnings per hour is that I consider each 1k of MS'ing to be worth $40, based on a 5% CB card or equivalent value in points earned minus fees. Out of this $40, half of it is earned on doing the spending and the other half is on liquidating. So if I go and buy $2k in gift cards and then go to walmart and liquidate $4k by BP's, in the span of a half hour, I'll count that as $120 in profits ($40 from purchasing and $80 in liquidating).

Just interested in knowing how any of you count in a similar manner or with a different valuation for spending/liquidating.
For me each MS transaction is valued as you have detailed but with one additional bonus. Each $500 MS is an extra $10 worth of free gas or gcs. So each $1000 spend is worth $20 in free gas or free giftcard. The key here is finding local retailers where you can MS and offers front end rewards programs of their own. My family spends $1000 in gas a month MSing has been very good to me on gas expense.

Another data point. When starting out with MS i was spending an hour per load/unload of $1000. My current setup allows me to spend less than 10 minutes per load/unload. My new policy is to avoid doing MSing unless it's already a part of my daily activities.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
When my wife started thinking I was going a bit crazy, I told her that every time I fill a shoe box with spent GCs she gets to buy another pair so I have a new shoebox.

She cheers me on to go faster now.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:50 am
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Originally Posted by hamhead
When my wife started thinking I was going a bit crazy, I told her that every time I fill a shoe box with spent GCs she gets to buy another pair so I have a new shoebox.

She cheers me on to go faster now.
that def sounds like a losing MS proposition if your wife has the exp taste in shoes my GF does thus I gotta conclude, this game may not be for you
Old Jun 12, 2014, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by FTRox87
that def sounds like a losing MS proposition if your wife has the exp taste in shoes my GF does thus I gotta conclude, this game may not be for you
Unless his wife buys her a pair from Payless Shoe source
Old Jun 12, 2014, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by njdealguy

It's all just for fun, but I count the profit only on the liquidating. For me that is the the limiting step, the most nervous step, and the step most likely to go wrong. There are other steps too, involving going to the bank, filling out forms, and moving money around at home.

Today I accidentally did a rapid reload of my Emerald card with my emerald card. $3.74 of stupidity down the drain and an additional $20 opportunity loss by my definition.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by spgbus
Let me guess... 10k BB + 10k AFT + 10K EM + 10k(+) TM + 8k PPC + ... you could run 100k+ per month without MO.
Is AFT even worth it? There is a load fee, the you need ATM to cash out. The AFT thread says the fee is effectively 1.3%, wouldn't it be cheaper just to get VGC?
Old Jun 12, 2014, 6:24 pm

This is my calculus:

4% portal cash + 2% cash back with Capital One card minus 1% liquidation fees = 5% profit. I order $5K in AGC every other day or so, so right now doing about $750 per week in profit. On average it takes me a half-hour or so to liquidate each $5K.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
It's all just for fun, but I count the profit only on the liquidating. For me that is the the limiting step, the most nervous step, and the step most likely to go wrong. There are other steps too, involving going to the bank, filling out forms, and moving money around at home.

Today I accidentally did a rapid reload of my Emerald card with my emerald card. $3.74 of stupidity down the drain and an additional $20 opportunity loss by my definition.
Yesterday I accidently loaded $500 to bluebird using another bluebird card when was supposed to for a OV!
Old Jul 2, 2014, 6:45 pm

Programs: Southwest CP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by halfleafclover
I'm going to break the huge numbers trend here. $200 a month on $4000 spend.

I just pick up a $500 VGC every grocery trip, MO on the way out.

I much prefer techniques like this that aren't time consuming or a hassle.
I have a US Bank and Chase within a couple blocks from me so I'm also doing 12k/month with Buxx.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.