Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much do you make

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Shuai Zeng
I Wonder too, when I only made $15 in March.

Yea, we make the money, then we spend it really quick.

That's why people need to be very organize on these things. Barely made $400 CB Last month, but just from bonus. MS is barely making $ 40 bucks a month....

how do you only make $15/month with this game? did you mean $15 cash, not counting the points/miles??
Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:54 pm

$2,000 in CB, but I have small CLs.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by commdiver
$2,000 in CB, but I have small CLs.
with 5% cb you would have to spend at least 40k to get 2000 cb. even more if you don't have 5% cb... that's still small CL????
Old Jun 3, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS
Originally Posted by Pecan Pie
with 5% cb you would have to spend at least 40k to get 2000 cb. even more if you don't have 5% cb... that's still small CL????
That's still small CL.

CB % offered by the card is a floor on CB %. I suspect you can do much better than 5% if you try hard enough.

Someone will probably resent me for even saying that much. Such is life.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 3:55 pm

Compared to what I imagine most members of this forum have, yes, that is small. The only reason more people on here are not clearing $2,000 or more is because they spend their time racking up miles. I rarely travel, so CB is worth more to me.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 3:57 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I just had pasta.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by aGeist
YStill wish I could find something to do with the Penfed Cash Rewards Plat which is my highest @ 40k.
Same boat here. I'm at $38K on my Penfed Plat Cash. It's been sock drawered for a while now. They just keep raising the CL I guess in hopes I will use it. Thought about canceling it since I have a BC card and now that they've lowered the CB % and put a fee on it without a qualifying companion PenFed product but I don't want to lose the CL. Maybe I'll see if I can PC it to the Promise Visa or something and keep my CL.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by ceverett
That's still small CL.

CB % offered by the card is a floor on CB %. I suspect you can do much better than 5% if you try hard enough.

Someone will probably resent me for even saying that much. Such is life.

if his CL is 40k and he maxes out every month, yes that is small..
but i thought the safe thing to do is to only use 10% of the CL, which would make his total CL 400k, which IMO is a huge CL..
but i'm a small fish in the sea just making some lunch money

BTW how to get more that 5% cb? via portals?
Old Jun 3, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: CITI, Barclay, Fidelity Amex, CC
That's one way. Listen, if you continue in this same vein you are going to get seriously flamed. Don't say you weren't warned.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 5:34 pm
xp0

Reading this thread is funny. Reading the reactions people have to someone that posts he only makes $2,000 a month in CB is even funnier. Reading stories of people only making $15, or negative money is just plan crazy.

I am assuming the people losing money are only going for miles and are poorly MSing on cards that arent worth it.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 5:40 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Indeed a 40k CL is modest. Remember some of the whales are (real) business owners whose lines can be way, way more than that.

Originally Posted by commdiver
Compared to what I imagine most members of this forum have, yes, that is small. The only reason more people on here are not clearing $2,000 or more is because they spend their time racking up miles. I rarely travel, so CB is worth more to me.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by xp0

I am assuming the people losing money are only going for miles and are poorly MSing on cards that arent worth it.
The problem is everyone values differently. I read numbers from various threads, and have a hard time comprehending the valuation. If you are going to quote earnings as first/business class ticket pricing, then you should say that in advance.

IMO, I treat everything as 1c/mile (maybe 2 for some cards). 5% would mean 5c earning. Then it all boils down to earnings - costs. Redemption is out of the equation and I would prefer to earn points on where my redemption opportunities are good.

Here's another thread I found on the topic of valuations -
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...nts-miles.html
Old Jun 3, 2014, 6:22 pm

$40k/month is pretty reasonable. I too am limited by CL on the cards I use most.

Above this amount and MS would take too much of my time, especially since I have no easy access to WM.

MS'ing $40k yields enough per month to cover my pricey (outrageous?) SF rent and enough points to cover a solid weekend trip at least once a month.

Pretty happy with that.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Depositing is not the problem. The CL issues is where the problem lies. You must keep CL consumption low, meaning the CL has to be very high. Higher than most have. You run into trouble maxing out CL. A boatload of my total CL always sits idle to keep percentage consumption low. Call it a sacrifice to the gods of credit. Most newbies want to scale without having an adequate CL to do so. Free passes are rare - never fall for the BS that AMEX gives you a card with no preset limit. There is always a limit and they will whack you when you cross it.
in GENERAL banks report to the credit bureau the balance at the end of the statement cycle. Pay it all off a few days before?
Old Jun 3, 2014, 7:45 pm

BTW if you have a CL of 25k and spend 20k/month, is it a big red flag?
Yes. Even Amex will flag this. I can speak from experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.