Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

What are some charges that post quickly to your credit card?

What are some charges that post quickly to your credit card?

Old Jun 1, 14, 5:34 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2
What are some charges that post quickly to your credit card?

I've been a lurker on these forum for a long time now and have appreciated all the great information.

Currently, I'm in need to add another $400 to meet minimum spending requirement to get the sign up bonus. I've went with the Amex gift card method but it's been almost a week and a half already and the charge is still showing as pending on my credit card account.

I only have another 3 days in order to meet the minimum spend requirement. (I know, got lazy, should've finished it earlier but I didn't think it would take this long for a charge to actually post)

Basically, if the charge stays pending for another 3 days and don't actually post, I'm not going to hit the minimum spend requirement for my sign up bonus. Does anyone know if there are purchases that usually post quickly? (I'm thinking amazon gift card or store gift card purchase?)
boexile is offline  
Old Jun 1, 14, 5:37 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,758
Store GC's.
QL_714 is offline  
Old Jun 1, 14, 5:42 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 546
Originally Posted by boexile View Post
I've been a lurker on these forum for a long time now and have appreciated all the great information.

Currently, I'm in need to add another $400 to meet minimum spending requirement to get the sign up bonus. I've went with the Amex gift card method but it's been almost a week and a half already and the charge is still showing as pending on my credit card account.

I only have another 3 days in order to meet the minimum spend requirement. (I know, got lazy, should've finished it earlier but I didn't think it would take this long for a charge to actually post)

Basically, if the charge stays pending for another 3 days and don't actually post, I'm not going to hit the minimum spend requirement for my sign up bonus. Does anyone know if there are purchases that usually post quickly? (I'm thinking amazon gift card or store gift card purchase?)
Not an MS question, but . . . If your transaction date precedes the deadline, you fulfilled your agreement to meet minimum spend. Why wouldn't you get the sign up bonus?
silver4300 is offline  
Old Jun 1, 14, 5:52 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by silver4300 View Post
Not an MS question, but . . . If your transaction date precedes the deadline, you fulfilled your agreement to meet minimum spend. Why wouldn't you get the sign up bonus?
Interesting point, I know I've called Amex and they told me that the charge need to post before the deadline. Might be YMMV, anyone know whether this is true?
boexile is offline  
Old Jun 1, 14, 6:23 pm
  #5  
Formerly known as FTRox87
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: TX
Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Posts: 1,428
Originally Posted by silver4300 View Post
Not an MS question, but . . . If your transaction date precedes the deadline, you fulfilled your agreement to meet minimum spend. Why wouldn't you get the sign up bonus?
cause in most cases the transaction date will be updated to the posted date, rather than the date shown when it was pending or even the actual transaction date.
FTR 787 is offline  
Old Jun 1, 14, 7:15 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Land of the parrots and parrotheads
Programs: Several dozen
Posts: 4,818
OK - how about getting an Amazon Payments account and sending a payment through using that card. How much are you really short (if the AMEX GC doesn't come through and on what card? The type of card is important.


Originally Posted by boexile View Post
I've been a lurker on these forum for a long time now and have appreciated all the great information.

Currently, I'm in need to add another $400 to meet minimum spending requirement to get the sign up bonus. I've went with the Amex gift card method but it's been almost a week and a half already and the charge is still showing as pending on my credit card account.

I only have another 3 days in order to meet the minimum spend requirement. (I know, got lazy, should've finished it earlier but I didn't think it would take this long for a charge to actually post)

Basically, if the charge stays pending for another 3 days and don't actually post, I'm not going to hit the minimum spend requirement for my sign up bonus. Does anyone know if there are purchases that usually post quickly? (I'm thinking amazon gift card or store gift card purchase?)
AlohaDaveKennedy is offline  
Old Jun 1, 14, 10:20 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: IAH
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, A3 Gold
Posts: 601
At this point, I'd just walk into a store and buy gift debit cards and eat the fees.
FlyingXplorer is offline  
Old Jun 1, 14, 11:18 pm
  #8  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: ILG/PHL
Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Posts: 1,075
Charges from my local hooker that uses Square for her payments almost always post immediately.
payeco is offline  
Old Jun 1, 14, 11:36 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Posts: 914
as above. store gcs post very fast. ap can take a while.
exmike is offline  
Old Jun 2, 14, 12:29 am
  #10  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: ORD
Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Posts: 1,786
Originally Posted by payeco View Post
Charges from my local hooker that uses Square for her payments almost always post immediately.

Im waiting on the Thai bar girls to start using similar cc processor...oh how many extra miles we will earn
skibum7732 is offline  
Old Jun 2, 14, 12:29 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: IAH
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, A3 Gold
Posts: 601
Originally Posted by payeco View Post
Charges from my local hooker that uses Square for her payments almost always post immediately.
Merchant category?
FlyingXplorer is offline  
Old Jun 2, 14, 12:48 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Posts: 914
Originally Posted by FlyingExplorer View Post
Merchant category?
dining out?
exmike is offline  
Old Jun 2, 14, 1:09 am
  #13  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: ILG/PHL
Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Posts: 1,075
Originally Posted by FlyingExplorer View Post
Merchant category?
I convinced her to throw in a ream of paper and some pens every time so she can code as office supplies and get me 5x Ink points.

Hopefully she doesn't get investigated. Maybe I can convince Staples to start carrying condoms and she'll truly be able to claim to be legit.
payeco is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: