Coin?

Old May 31, 2014, 11:51 am

Where is this $30/year fee coming from? When I went to preorder, they listed $50 plus $5 shipping.
Old May 31, 2014, 11:56 am
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
how else do you think they are gonna make any money as a startup/business going forward?

they arent running a charity...

not to mention you have to buy a replacement coin card every ~2 yrs cause since it is an electronic device, it dies out. they didnt put a replaceable battery in there so you gotta get a new one every time.

so thats another $100 every cpl yrs even if there were no yrly subscription.

Last edited by FTR 787; May 31, 2014 at 12:02 pm
Old May 31, 2014, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...ur-wallet.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-your-ccs.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/s-p-m...ggregator.html

This product is too late. EMV is being rolled out in the USA later this year and next. It will be obsolete long before the battery runs out.
Old May 31, 2014, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by FTRox87
how else do you think they are gonna make any money as a startup/business going forward?

they arent running a charity...

not to mention you have to buy a replacement coin card every ~2 yrs cause since it is an electronic device, it dies out. they didnt put a replaceable battery in there so you gotta get a new one every time.

so thats another $100 every cpl yrs even if there were no yrly subscription.
I know. I was asking where on the website it mentions the $30. $100 every two years is a good deal if this allows you to load VGCs or AmEx GCs.
Old May 31, 2014, 6:40 pm

Deleted.

Last edited by MsArbi; Oct 30, 2014 at 12:18 am
Old May 31, 2014, 7:38 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by MsArbi
Just because EMV is being rolled out doesn't mean that mag stripe cards will suddenly stop working or disappear completely. I don't see GCs going to EMV any time soon, especially closed loop GCs. I don't think coin is worth the $50 price tag, but I can see the convenience of not having to carry a bunch of non-MS gift and loyalty cards.
Another possible plus is the security feature in that it needs to be in proximity of your smartphone to use the encoded cards. Sure beats losing all your cards when you get your wallet stolen. If you just carried the COIN you should be pretty certain your cards wont be used.
Old May 31, 2014, 8:01 pm

I too would like to know where this talk of a $30 annual subscription is coming from...
Old May 31, 2014, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS
I like it. This will come in super handy for flying under the radar. I ordered one. If it works, it can't come too soon.
Old May 31, 2014, 9:59 pm

I don't see the Coin card as a MS gold mine. Sure your name will be on the Coin card, but I've never had a problem using gift cards to load money onto BlueBird. I'm thinking others are using gift cards to buy money orders and stuff and that's where you're worried about not having your name on the card?

When someone says "unloading gift cards to Coin" you're not unloading ANY money to the Coin card like you would with BlueBird. The Coin card is simply just combining all your cards in to 1 magnetic strip card. I'm sure we're all aware of this, but just wanted to clarify.

Lastly, the Coin card can only hold up to 8 cards at a time. Each card you add you have to take a picture of it, and then you have to verify a charge on the card. To me this sounds like it might be too cumbersome if you're trying to do gift card after gift card. How do I know you have to verify a charge each time you add a card? I watched it in the videos that have been getting released to pre-order customers only.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by PowerMan572
I don't see the Coin card as a MS gold mine. Sure your name will be on the Coin card, but I've never had a problem using gift cards to load money onto BlueBird. I'm thinking others are using gift cards to buy money orders and stuff and that's where you're worried about not having your name on the card?

When someone says "unloading gift cards to Coin" you're not unloading ANY money to the Coin card like you would with BlueBird. The Coin card is simply just combining all your cards in to 1 magnetic strip card. I'm sure we're all aware of this, but just wanted to clarify.

Lastly, the Coin card can only hold up to 8 cards at a time. Each card you add you have to take a picture of it, and then you have to verify a charge on the card. To me this sounds like it might be too cumbersome if you're trying to do gift card after gift card. How do I know you have to verify a charge each time you add a card? I watched it in the videos that have been getting released to pre-order customers only.
Thanks for this.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...I watched it in the videos that have been getting released to pre-order customers only.
It is still pre-order if you place order now. There is no firm release date yet.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MsArbi
Just because EMV is being rolled out doesn't mean that mag stripe cards will suddenly stop working or disappear completely. I don't see GCs going to EMV any time soon, especially closed loop GCs. I don't think coin is worth the $50 price tag, but I can see the convenience of not having to carry a bunch of non-MS gift and loyalty cards.
I see your point about gift cards, but any activated EMV POS will reject magnetic strips from EMV cards. As I seek out EMV cards for travel, I have around a dozen cards but only two non-EMV cards now.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 9:45 am

PowerMan, you are right, that sounds like a pain.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.

You post information but don't provide source...
Source of said video?
Old Jun 1, 2014, 10:06 am

When you buy it, you are agreeing to terms of service that give you no protection. Should something go wrong — name your worst fear: the device broadcasts your credit card numbers, it is hacked, the site containing your encrypted numbers is hacked, the numbers are improperly encrypted, merchants refuse it — it’s not Coin’s problem.

A number of reporters have raised security concerns, and the company has said it will address those in future devices — which you’ll have to buy if you want them.

The company also says that if the service doesn’t work as promised, well, also your problem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.