Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by cdancer20
I bought my first GCs from WM last weekend (from Sunrise Bank). No issues for me and I used them within 10 mins of purchasing. Pin is last 4 of card.
This is excellent news. This can help me avoid OVs. I need to see if I can buy them out here.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Nolala
Does WM allow gift card purchases with credit cards? I would suspect not as everyone would be talking about going there instead of CVS....
I believe it is YMMV.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by cdancer20
I bought my first GCs from WM last weekend (from Sunrise Bank). No issues for me and I used them within 10 mins of purchasing. Pin is last 4 of card.
You purchased these with a CC?
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:36 am

Programs: HH Diamond-IHG Plat-AA Gold
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I believe it is YMMV.
Definitely YMMV. Obviously cdancer20 can, but I've seen others report that a CC can require Manage override, attracting unwated attention.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by kiltedflyer
Definitely YMMV. Obviously cdancer20 can, but I've seen others report that a CC can require Manage override, attracting unwated attention.
I also wonder if you need to buy in seperate transactions at different registers.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:56 am

I tried to buy a One Vanilla MC and some of the Father's Day cards last week. The cashier first said she had to ring each up separately. Then said that she forgot and CC's couldn't be used to purchase. I thanked her, bought my other items, and left.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I read about the GCs at WM here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...c-walmart.html

I made the mistake this weekend of grabbing the Father's Day MasterCard ones w/o reading them. Got to the cashier and it let me get all the way to the signature screen, then it would blink out like I hit cancel. The cashier was like, oh yea you can't use CC for those. She asked if I still wanted them. I chuckled and said no. I walked off to go get some MOs which was right next to her. However, I saw that her machine was stuck and she had to call a manager to override the cancellation. I heard her say that some lady tried to buy GCs with CCs. The manager asked if it was the lady currently in line. she said no other lady but luckily she didn't see me when she said it.

As for the Sunrise Visas, I wasn't sure of the rule. First I was gonna try to do some split payments to offload the Amex GCs from Office Max. The cashier wasn't sure if they could do a split so had to go ask. The only rule she got back was that my CC had to match my ID. I went ahead and purchased first a $495 GC b/c I read someone on that other thread about it being under $500 total. No problems. I bit the bullet to try for $500 and still no problems. So this will be totally YMMV.

I also wanted to mention that I only found these in a Neighborhood WM. Didn't see them in the SuperCenter and the section Neighborhood that I went to only had 1. It had the back tab peeled off so I didn't risk buying it.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kiltedflyer
No issues, meaning no need for the workaround?
Yes that and it was available for use immediately.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by njfan07
A couple of hours ago did MetaBank VGC for a MO at the MC (central NJ) and didn't need to click on red or yellow buttons. Then did a Serve load with Metabank VGC at a register and same same - no hassle with buttons.
Purchased a MO yesterday with a metabank vgc and no work around was needed. It was the old POS system
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:45 pm

Does WM allow gift card purchases with credit cards? I would suspect not as everyone would be talking about going there instead of CVS....
Well, depends on the card. Things like Amex Blue Cash will give 5x at CVS and probably just 1x at many walmarts
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by silver6054
Well, depends on the card. Things like Amex Blue Cash will give 5x at CVS and probably just 1x at many walmarts
That reason plus 1-Easier to find GCs in pharmacy/grocery stores and 2-A lot of people don't like being in WM longer than necessary i.e. longer than to load BB, get MOs, and do BPs. I assume that they don't want to deal with the lines and cashiers over a 1 cent savings.

But I believe that Amex gives 5x-6x at Neighborhood Walmart. I haven't tried it on the Blue Cash but I know that end of last year I bought something on my BCP and it coded as grocery. Been too scared to try it again though since I have other cards that code 100% of the time.

Last edited by cdancer20; Jun 17, 2014 at 8:16 am
Old Jun 16, 2014, 5:47 pm

Amex codes WM as groceries (5x) or 1x?
Old Jun 16, 2014, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by st.exupery
*headdesk*
Old Jun 16, 2014, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by st.exupery
Mine coded at 6%. I think it might be a mistake, but I am not complaining.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
*headdesk*
You can hit your head on the desk repeatedly, but it won't change the fact that some WMs do code the cashier's in and around groceries as such.

But, hey, knock yourself out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.