Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Old Jun 14, 2014, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by unkinected
I experienced this one time too. At a cashier, after swipe it would go immediately to the sig screen. No chance at all to hit cancel because it was never there. I gave up after a few tries and moved to a cashier 3 lanes down after doing some normal shopping for a few minutes. The new register worked fine and I was able to hit cancel as normal.
I talked for 15 minutes today with my WM MC employee. This one knows me very well, knows the game, and understands the POS extremely well. She told me the reason you are going straight to credit is because the cashier is using the touch screen buttons on their side to try to change you to debit. She indicated people not familiar with this new process will screw it up 9 times out of 10. They *must* use the physical keypad to the right of the screen to do the swap to debit, not the on-screen buttons on their side. I trust her highly, as I've never *ever* had an issue with her processing my 3 BB + HRB + MO a few times a week. My WM MC has the old green POS terminals as well, and I got rid of $5k of OV with her this morning.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
My Walmart doesn't care at all that I'm using gift cards, but sometimes I run into problems getting it to process as a debit (without me getting a chance to hit the 'change payment' button. I've read here about the cashier pressing 'debit' too soon, but I'm not quite sure what they are supposed to do. If I'm using multiple gift cards to buy one money order, do I tell them the amount before I swipe the first gift card? Should I ask them to avoid pressing any buttons until after I swipe my first gift card? Can the cashier enter the amount of the first swipe before I swipe it without messing it up? Or is it better for them to wait until after I've hit the "change payment" button to enter the amount of the first swipe to $500?
This is discussed several times in the thread. I recommend spending 30 minutes reading the thread prior to spending however-long a failed walmart trip is.

The key is hitting change payment prior to them hitting debit. What you can do to ensure this happens, is tell them about split payments AFTER you swipe but BEFORE you enter pin (so it doesn't try to drain the entire bill). So swipe, press change payment, then communicate split payment (at this point it doesn't matter who is first to what), so you can take your time with debit->no cashback-> pin, as long as you hear them punch the number of keys required for your split amount plus debit key prior to you confirming pin. If they are still overzealous after a swipe and prior to split request, a simple "you beat me to it" generally works.

Last edited by zozeppelin; Jun 14, 2014 at 1:03 pm
Old Jun 14, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by zozeppelin
This is discussed several times in the thread. I recommend spending 30 minutes reading the thread prior to spending however-long a failed walmart trip is.

The key is hitting change payment prior to them hitting debit. What you can do to ensure this happens, is tell them about split payments AFTER you swipe but BEFORE you enter pin (so it doesn't try to drain the entire bill). So swipe, press change payment, then communicate split payment (at this point it doesn't matter who is first to what), so you can take your time with debit->no cashback-> pin, as long as you hear them punch the number of keys required for your split amount plus debit key prior to you confirming pin. If they are still overzealous after a swipe and prior to split request, a simple "you beat me to it" generally works.
Thanks. I did read through the thread for quite some time, but I couldn't find the explanation like you just gave. Hopefully my trips to walmart will be more productive now.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
My Walmart doesn't care at all that I'm using gift cards, but sometimes I run into problems getting it to process as a debit (without me getting a chance to hit the 'change payment' button. I've read here about the cashier pressing 'debit' too soon, but I'm not quite sure what they are supposed to do. If I'm using multiple gift cards to buy one money order, do I tell them the amount before I swipe the first gift card? Should I ask them to avoid pressing any buttons until after I swipe my first gift card? Can the cashier enter the amount of the first swipe before I swipe it without messing it up? Or is it better for them to wait until after I've hit the "change payment" button to enter the amount of the first swipe to $500?
I had problems too. Here is what I do:

1. Identify the machine (color or black and white).

2. If color, swipe card and immediately hit "change payment". If black and white, swipe card and hit cancel after the screen blinks once.

3. Get your MO.

There is no way that a cashier should beat you unless they are trying to.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 6:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by commdiver
I had problems too. Here is what I do:

1. Identify the machine (color or black and white).

2. If color, swipe card and immediately hit "change payment". If black and white, swipe card and hit cancel after the screen blinks once.

3. Get your MO.

There is no way that a cashier should beat you unless they are trying to.
You have to remember that on the cashiers screen it says Tender Not Allowed. So Im able at times to get the 1st GC thru but they stand on guard to prevent any more by pressing something before I even have the chance to, others couldnt care 1bit
Old Jun 15, 2014, 7:37 am

Since Metabank GCs are still accepted without work around, it's worth the $1 price difference for me to avoid all this hassle.

P.S. > The MB GC packages are also a lot easier to open!
Old Jun 15, 2014, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tuphat
Since Metabank GCs are still accepted without work around, it's worth the $1 price difference for me to avoid all this hassle.

You're right about the packaging -- the Vanilla Visa GCs I've been getting at CVS have the pull tab glued to the cardboard most of the time now. It's easier to just rip the edge off than to try to use the tab.

I don't have these machine/cashier problems in Madison, though, so I'll stay with VGCs. I just curse a lot more now.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by tuphat

Only $1 extra, but when you do x10 cards per visit and you visit multiple times a week, those $1s add up quickly! It's worth a little extra physical labor to save $10 per visit. I'm fortunate to have the same 4-5 employees in MC every time I visit. When the new change kicked in, we adjusted and kept rolling.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by rossrr
Only $1 extra, but when you do x10 cards per visit and you visit multiple times a week, those $1s add up quickly! It's worth a little extra physical labor to save $10 per visit. I'm fortunate to have the same 4-5 employees in MC every time I visit. When the new change kicked in, we adjusted and kept rolling.
The periodic Shell gasoline offers (at S&S) for MetaBank VGCs may well exceed the ($1 x N) benefits of OVs.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 2:10 pm

While I've never been a big Kate user, I've been adapting to including it in my runs.

The last two Kates I've visited have been operational - but say money orders are not available at the machine and to go to the CS desk.

This a normal occurrence or are they disabling the kiosk to control MO from there as well?
Old Jun 15, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by hamhead
While I've never been a big Kate user, I've been adapting to including it in my runs.

The last two Kates I've visited have been operational - but say money orders are not available at the machine and to go to the CS desk.

This a normal occurrence or are they disabling the kiosk to control MO from there as well?
The vast majority of working Kates have always been set to disable the purchase of MO.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 4:01 pm

Went to WM today to find extremely long lines at the MC. There was one couple, and the husband was picking the wife's hair, like an ape would. Then, at the second WM, there was some neo Nazi (swastika tattoos and everything) yelling at the MC employee. Good Lord, the people that WM attracts...
Old Jun 15, 2014, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by deant
The vast majority of working Kates have always been set to disable the purchase of MO.
Ah I see, I'd only been to one in the past and that one allowed it. Now, it does not. Perhaps I'll get lucky with it again.

Shame.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 4:46 pm

Angry WM MO

Went to WM today to find extremely long lines at the MC. There was one couple, and the husband was picking the wife's hair, like an ape would. Then, at the second WM, there was some neo Nazi (swastika tattoos and everything) yelling at the MC employee. Good Lord, the people that WM attracts... What part of the world is this?. WM is indeed a sad place. My local WM (12 miles away) has mainly very fat folks... customers and clerks!! I'm the skinniest one there !!My dad wasn't in the Air Force in WWII to let this creep publicly display swastika's.!! But its a given in our constitution. But "picking hair like apes"??? Sad place. But they seem to have $ for smokes and tats tho
Old Jun 15, 2014, 4:52 pm

WM

While I've never been a big Kate user, I've been adapting to including it in my runs. So you can't make it to the rest rooms?? Sorry, no malice intended, just had to laugh when I read that!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.