Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:40 am

why do they even care
Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by ronnyk
Although I have a few other alternatives, I think Walmart in King of Prussia, PA is dead unless the Kate is operating. They are still using the old customer card terminal (non-color), and swipes of OV go instantly to the signature screen and then return a rejection error. Three different MC CSRs have told me no gift cards of any type, and they have been trained that OVs-- even though they say debit-- are gift cards and are not allowed. This goes not only for MOs but also BP and Serve loads.
I think what is happening is that the cashiers are pressing the blue Debit button before you have a chance to press the "Cancel" button in order to switch to ATM after you slide your OV. As long as you are able to press the "Cancel" button before they press the blue "Debit" button after sliding the OV it should work.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
I think what is happening is that the cashiers are pressing the blue Debit button before you have a chance to press the "Cancel" button in order to switch to ATM after you slide your OV. As long as you are able to press the "Cancel" button before they press the blue "Debit" button after sliding the OV it should work.
That wasn't working for me. The lady actually had her finger on the change payment button for me and wasn't pressing anything on her side. I tried two different cashiers, and the same thing was happening.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
That wasn't working for me. The lady actually had her finger on the change payment button for me and wasn't pressing anything on her side. I tried two different cashiers, and the same thing was happening.
Strange... I know the instances where it failed and I knew it instantly when the cashier press the button on their end before you had a chance to press Cancel or Change Payment. I tried to play it off and ask them to reset it and it works.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Strange... I know the instances where it failed and I knew it instantly when the cashier press the button on their end before you had a chance to press Cancel or Change Payment. I tried to play it off and ask them to reset it and it works.
I'll double check. My focus was on pressing the button on time.

Question on the physical button. Do you have to wait for the screen to blink first? Is there a time constraint?
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:24 am

I'll double check. My focus was on pressing the button on time.

Question on the physical button. Do you have to wait for the screen to blink first? Is there a time constraint?
Not sure. I think I find myself pressing the Change Payment button several times. I believe the screen blinks first but I don't try to take chances. I think if you try to time it correctly it might be that split second that makes the difference.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:34 am

Possible, I suppose, but it seemed instantaneous after the swipe and I don't think the cashier did (or had any time to do) anything. I have no issue with the process on the newer terminals at my other nearby WMs-- just the older terminal and this particular WM. I suspect there is something that the cashier can do to override the default, but the training they have received has instructed them not to do this.

Last edited by ronnyk; Jun 12, 2014 at 9:43 am
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:51 am

Possible, I suppose, but it seemed instantaneous after the swipe and I don't think the cashier did (or had any time to do) anything. I have no issue with the process on the newer terminals at my other nearby WMs-- just the older terminal and this particular WM. I suspect there is something that the cashier can do to override the default, but the training they have received has instructed them not to do this.
This has been my experience.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I haven't tried the new POS yet but having no issues with the old ones. As soon as you swipe and it says "Waiting on cashier", I have had more than just 1 or 2 seconds to react. Press the button and keep going. It's possible that it could be a timing issue with the cashier or just that particular POS is trouble.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:58 am

This has been my experience.
Seems like the POS systems at that WM are literally a Piece of !#@$
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:29 am

Just press the yellow hard button on the card reader to Change Payment. It does the same thing as pressing the yellow soft "Change Payment" button on the screen. Its a fallacy that the only way to Change Payment is by pressing the yellow Change Payment button on the screen. I always have my other hand on the Red (Cancel) or Yellow (Change Payment) buttons depending if its the old or new POS card readers as a I swipe my OV and have never had issues with using the hard buttons. I find that the soft buttons on the screen can be flaky so I don't rely on them.
I have been having more success with the old b/w screens as the 'cancel' key is much more apparent and easier to press. So on the new color system, do you press the hard yellow button as soon as you swipe? I guess my mistake was thinking you had to do the on screen yellow button and was failing miserably.

In other news, I found a working Kate and was able to reel off 4 MO ($500) in record time with my OV card. First time finding a working one that allowed MO and the higher fees were so worth it!
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: DL PLT, AS 75k, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by neworleans flyer
I have been having more success with the old b/w screens as the 'cancel' key is much more apparent and easier to press. So on the new color system, do you press the hard yellow button as soon as you swipe? I guess my mistake was thinking you had to do the on screen yellow button and was failing miserably.

In other news, I found a working Kate and was able to reel off 4 MO ($500) in record time with my OV card. First time finding a working one that allowed MO and the higher fees were so worth it!
I definitely find the older ones easier to deal with...the change payment screen flashes by much faster than the cancel screen at the various walmarts in my area and the change payment one sometimes will get all the way to asking me if I want cash back than randomly error out.

The working Kate is a god send. I made my boyfriend spend an entire weekend teaching me to drive on the freeway (yeah, yeah, insert female driver joke here) just so I could get to the Walmarts here that have them...
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by neworleans flyer

I've been pressying the on screen one and it was working fine. I haven't tried the other one.

On the old system, are you hitting cancel on the screen, or on the keypad?
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by floressalicis
I definitely find the older ones easier to deal with...the change payment screen flashes by much faster than the cancel screen at the various walmarts in my area and the change payment one sometimes will get all the way to asking me if I want cash back than randomly error out.

The working Kate is a god send. I made my boyfriend spend an entire weekend teaching me to drive on the freeway (yeah, yeah, insert female driver joke here) just so I could get to the Walmarts here that have them...
So you're hitting cancel on the screen, and not on the keypad?
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:00 am

Data Point:
I purchased a $1k MO at WM last night. MC Manager had to help the cashier process, as he couldn't figure out how to change payment method and do $500 swipe. She (MC Manager) grabbed the OV card from my hand and tried to swipe it. She said that there is a push to make it so these cards don't have the ability to work in the money center. "They don't want cards not linked to a bank account to work. They want to know who you are when you buy a money order." I didn't inquire on who "they" were, but assume she was implying government, but perhaps she was implying internal compliance. She cautioned that they may not work for very much longer.

I have no inside information other than what was shared, but it does seem they are attempting to change the OV, debit GC settings. It defaults to credit, where as my bank debit card continues to defaults to debit.

Location was Southeastern suburbs of Minneapolis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.