Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2014, 1:56 pm

south houston

I went to 2 WM today without Kates and had to load at customer service. One OV, had the issue as described, but no problems changing the payment type. The other was the Meta bank and no issues other than dropping my card after swiping it.

The real bummer of the Kate being down was my children were looking forward to entering the PIN. Have to make time for quality family time.

Last edited by givingitatry; Jun 7, 2014 at 2:06 pm
Old Jun 7, 2014, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Traveler287638
Tonight, I thought I'd try one more WMT OV/BB load one the way back from a restaurant.

My first BB load went fine. Swipe BB, swipe OV for $500, do it again and get receipt. I told the cashier, let's do it again. Swipe second BB, and swipe first OV, all ok.

Here is where things go awry. I swiped the second OV and it goes to credit. I swipe 5 more times (the cashier kept saying try it again) and it never worked or more likely my timing was off for some reason, but who knows. I said don't worry about it, I'll try again later. She printed out the receipt and it showed that my BB was debited $1000?!?!

Of course the last OV never went through, thus a $1,000 debit is awfully weird. The cashier noticed the same issue and then we both read the top of the receipt.

Debit Load: $1,000
Debit Tendered: $ 500
CASH TENDERED $ 500 (I added the all caps)
Change Due: $ 0

The cashier made a big mistake when she tried to cancel the 2nd $500 load and put $500 on my BB with $500 of cash! That means that she somehow told the POS that I loaded my BB with $500 CASH. You can’t unload a BB card at the POS to balance the transaction AND I don’t normally carry around $500 cash. I’m thinking (as anyone who is reading this), “Houston we have a problem.”

The manager was then called and the cashier explained she made a mistake and I explained I did not have $500. The manager suggested I use the in-store ATM, but of course most ATMs won’t let you withdraw $500 at one time and even if I could I’m not a fan of the high charges those non-bank ATMs charge (though in this case I would have paid as this is the closest WMT to my house and is very convenient). I said I could go home and get the funds and be back in 10 minutes. Understandably, he of course did not like that idea.

Interesting conundrum. WMT made the mistake, I don’t have $500 on me, and the ATM won’t let you withdraw $500 at any one time.
I had the same thing happen with a $200 load at WM. The cashier pressed cash instead of debit.
I just used the in-store ATM to withdraw $200 and give it to them. WM manager was very happy to give me $2 cash for the ATM fees that the ATM charged me. Everyone was happy.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Traveler287638
Today I've been traveling in the DFW area, and I had the chance to visit a few WMT to attempt some OV to BB loads.

Bad news, at all three WMTs I visited with the old POS (black and green screen) the software has clearly changed and did not allow a load. Yesterday the old POS would flash "Cancel" twice and you could either hit "Cancel" on the screen or the "Cancel" button. This would then allow a debit load.

That changed today. The screen only flashed "Cancel" once and no matter my timing, I was forced into credit (ie denied loading the BB) The message the CSR receives is something like "tender not valid."

However, I also stopped by a kiosk and a WMT that has the new POS, both worked. It seems that they have not updated these.......yet.

As of today, has anyone been able to load a OV to BB on the old POS? Maybe it is only in the DFW area.

If I were you I'd definitely keep a low inventory of OV; WMT could update their software at any day and close the ability to use the color screens and kiosks.

thoughts anyone?
I guess the cashier pressed the "Card" button before you swiped your OV..

Unfortunately, cashiers have the tendency to press the "card" button on their screen as soon as they see that you are gonna use a card and be done with their job for that transaction.. So with these OVs and MCs, people have to make sure that the cashier does not press the "Card" button on their screen until we swipe and get to the "change payment" option..

Originally Posted by commdiver
Has anyone else noticed that if you press the cancel button on the old POS screens before it blinks a second time, it does not work? I swiped my OV today, pressed cancel, and then it blinked, and cancel appear again. That brought up a "tender not accepted" or something of the sort.
Originally Posted by FTRox87
it has been brought up before, someone didnt read the thread haha.
On the old POS screens, I have been using the "cancel" on the touchscreen all the time and never used the RED CANCEL button.. So personally I dont have experience.. But as per the below post, OP presses the red button soon after swiping the card by then I assume the first "cancel blink" would not have been over..

Originally Posted by ericdabbs

Basically I have my finger on the hard red Cancel button as I am slidin the OV and press the red button immediately.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 3:55 pm

I hit 3 Walys today buying MO, loading BB, SERVE, and i faced a new/green cashier at one of the money center/Customer service, i tried to buy MO using OV and the cashier kept pressing buttons left and right while i am swiping/cancel/debt/pin with my OV card, and he kept saying, swipe again, and at one point the register drawer opened and it printed a relatively long receipt, he said no worries its a canceled transaction, the several swipes after that kept getting denied, then i asked to see the receipts, the last few said no fund available, so i said, i think your system just drain my cash and did a cash-back this is why the drawer opened, i asked to see that long receipt, and sure enough he owed me the amount of the MO plus $0.70, he got his boss, and he told him that he owes me the cash since no MO was produced and we blamed it on the MO machine, and by the way both employees were super nice people. I just wanted to share this in case you face a similar situation.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 5:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ninim2200
I hit 3 Walys today buying MO, loading BB, SERVE, and i faced a new/green cashier at one of the money center/Customer service, i tried to buy MO using OV and the cashier kept pressing buttons left and right while i am swiping/cancel/debt/pin with my OV card, and he kept saying, swipe again, and at one point the register drawer opened and it printed a relatively long receipt, he said no worries its a canceled transaction, the several swipes after that kept getting denied, then i asked to see the receipts, the last few said no fund available, so i said, i think your system just drain my cash and did a cash-back this is why the drawer opened, i asked to see that long receipt, and sure enough he owed me the amount of the MO plus $0.70, he got his boss, and he told him that he owes me the cash since no MO was produced and we blamed it on the MO machine, and by the way both employees were super nice people. I just wanted to share this in case you face a similar situation.
Hahahaha. I'm sure it wasn't funny then, but funny in the re-telling. Whenever the money drawer opens as you're buying a MO it's a cash back situation.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

with or w/o the workaround?
These were Vanilla GCs, so with the workaround, but the color displays here don't have any problems -- there's plenty of time to hit the "change payment" button. The process just takes a few more presses, and today I had the most efficient cashier they have, so it went quickly. I had another $1K in cards to use, but I decided to be nice and come back tomorrow when I have more cards.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Just returned from an L.A. WM and was successful turning over 4 OV's for 4 MO's. I walked up and said "I'd like a money order for $499.30"
*Made no mention of how I was going to pay for it. I kept my cards to myself.
*WAITED until I was prompted on the Black-on-Green POS
*Hit 'Cancel'
*Hit 'Cancel' a 2nd time after it came back.

Followed the rest of the Wiki and it worked.

The reason I split it into 4 was I had gone to this WM before and I think I confused the clerk asking to do $1k and do 2 swipes.

After the 1st MO was done I asked to do it again, I told the clerk that my bank only allowed me to swipe $500 at a time but that didn't seem to have them select 'Debit' on their side.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 7:27 pm

Programs: HH Diamond-IHG Plat-AA Gold
Originally Posted by carpentry4thought
Yep, have to read all 763 posts before you can post. Enjoy the literature.
Reading is your friend.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 8:29 pm

So, after asking my question about the blinking screen, it seems like someone added it to the Wiki It does look like someone deleted the part about Metabank GCs not needing the workaround, though...
Old Jun 8, 2014, 1:55 am
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Originally Posted by cyclotron
I had the same thing happen with a $200 load at WM. The cashier pressed cash instead of debit.
I just used the in-store ATM to withdraw $200 and give it to them. WM manager was very happy to give me $2 cash for the ATM fees that the ATM charged me. Everyone was happy.
^ sounds like a great manager. whereabouts in the country are you? just curious cause its kinda rare esp with all the recent customer service issues and horror stories @ WM.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 1:56 am

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
lmfaoo... the dude is like "dont worry, its just a cancelled transaction, dont owe you nothing" hahah... my best guess this has gotta be somewhere in Cali, most likely SoCal with a surfer dude at the register.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 9:06 am

lmfaoo... the dude is like "dont worry, its just a cancelled transaction, dont owe you nothing" hahah... my best guess this has gotta be somewhere in Cali, most likely SoCal with a surfer dude at the register.
it was in SoCal, i am glad it worked out at the end. it was painful at the moment though.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 9:59 am

it was in SoCal, i am glad it worked out at the end. it was painful at the moment though.
I had that in NorCal as well - except that they called the manager, he realized something was WAAAY wrong. They took 2K out of register and then used that to cut my 2 MO.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 10:45 am

am I good or am I good btw good call on asking to recheck all the printed receipts ^
Old Jun 8, 2014, 12:19 pm

I got SUUUUPER mad yesterday. I went to a Walmart in socal prepared with my two VGCs to buy a MO for $1000. I knew of the workaround and was ready to do it. It was the first time I had tried on the old, old systems that are green and black. I told the woman that I wanted to get a $1000 money order and then after I swiped I was like "oh yeah I actually want this first swipe to be only $500." My friend was behind me in line and told me that the second I said that the lady gave her coworker a look which I didn't noticed bc I was looking at the machine to click cancel. Clicked cancel, worked surprisingly well bc those machines are pretty old and slow. Clicked debit. No cash back. PIN number. Everything was going okay meaning the last step for my first card was to have the lady click the debit button. It said "waiting for cashier" and then I looked up because it was her turn. She told me credit doesn't work on the machine and I said it's not a credit card and then she told me to click cancel after I already had gone through the steps to make it debit. She knew what I was doing and was shocked it worked so she made me click cancel. So angry. Then she made me show her the card and I didn't feel like I had a choice so I showed her and she said those wouldn't work. I just left after that. So annoyed though that she had the nerve to make me cancel it after it already worked because she was shocked it worked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.