Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2014, 1:26 am

One wild story

Tonight, I thought I'd try one more WMT OV/BB load one the way back from a restaurant.

Last edited by Traveler287638; Mar 1, 2015 at 11:16 pm
Old Jun 7, 2014, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by Traveler287638
The manager was then called and the cashier explained she made a mistake and I explained I did not have $500. The manager suggested I use the in-store ATM, but of course most ATMs won’t let you withdraw $500 at one time
Couldn't you have just used the OV to buy an MO, or your debit card to buy an MO. Then either cash out the MO or write it to walmart?

But anyways, good story. Glad it all worked out.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 1:53 am
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
wow. not sure what time it was, but why not just get a $500 MO with that 2nd OV (assuming the funds werent drained from it or in limbo) ... I'm sure you had 70c on you for the fee.

crazy story, glad it worked out. that really is something though. did you figure out how in the world in the middle of a swipe transaction, the cashier got the option to press cash and process it?
Old Jun 7, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by skibum7732
If you are in Chicago then you have alternatives to WM...get out there and start looking
Hahaha. You must live in the suburbs. I know Meijer is an option, but not really crazy about driving 90 minutes round trip for $1k. Haven't gotten to every bodega and currency exchange yet, but I am working through a list. If you know someplace else, would greatly appreciate a tip.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by MDWCommuter
Hahaha. You must live in the suburbs. I know Meijer is an option, but not really crazy about driving 90 minutes round trip for $1k. Haven't gotten to every bodega and currency exchange yet, but I am working through a list. If you know someplace else, would greatly appreciate a tip.
Try WU and MG sites for map searches.
Try the other -mart.
Try the PO.

I haven't tried any of those as WM works for me. If it didn't, those are where I would check based on quick searches (some providing mixed feedback).

The CTA also has a card I'm looking into. You can make it a debit card (3k max load per month, takes VR). You can load "CTA" at CVS with credit card. I'm not sure how those accounts interrelate as the card is the same, but will be exploring.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Traveler287638
To make peace (again remember this is a prized location for me) we agreed that I’d give him my BB card. Then he asked for my driver’s license. I use multiple BB cards that friends and family give me, and that I use with their authorization to pay bills. As fate would have it, the BB I used this time was not my personal BB. DL and BB didn’t match, optics are not good. I could have refused to give him my DL, but that would be suspicious and I’d likely be persona non grata at a WMT that is 5 minutes from my home. Of course giving the DL would create potential issues as well. I decided to give him my DL.

My reasoning was that first and foremost, using a family or friend’s bluebird not not illegal. I’ve look at the very long terms of service and don’t see anything that is against the ToS, but I could be wrong, but again a violation of the card’s ToS is not illegal. I reasoned that I’d be able to satisfactorily explain why I use a friend’s BB card.

When the BB and DL did not match, the next manager in the food chain was called, the store manager. Surprisingly and luckily, she actually took it all in stride; she knew that simply using a BB card that is not yours is not illegal. I left my DL and BB with her and I left to get the $500.

I came back in 10 minutes with $500 and told the cashier not to worry about the mistake as we all make mistakes.

As an aside, this was the first time I took my girlfriend with me to load a BB because we had just had dinner and the WMT was on my way home. Obviously, nothing like this has ever happened nor have I ever heard of something like this happening. During this entire process, she was really rolling her eyes about this “hobby” I have; she’s always found this hobby of mine very eccentric. This did not help my cause, lol. She's a plastic surgeon and she (like many of them) are about as eccentric as they come.

I made all these decisions on the fly, but it all worked out and hopefully they’ll let me load more BBs at this location in the future.

By the way, if you look at my earlier post today I did some research about POS changes. If anyone knows of any methods to unload OV or other gift cards outside of WMT in the Dallas area, please PM me.
I'd of said that I was the one driving, do you expect me to drive without a driver's license? I'd be rather pissy at that point.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 10:53 am

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

It was 11pm and the MC was closed so I didn't have the ability to do a MO. Good point above
about not having a DL to drive back home.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I just got the first mention of a restriction at my WM...

...she told me this time that I'd have to fill out some paper work for anything above $3K...
Fortunately, it appears to be only her. I did $4K of MOs yesterday and $6K today with no problems, so as long as I don't get her I can continue as before.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 11:38 am

Has anyone else noticed that if you press the cancel button on the old POS screens before it blinks a second time, it does not work? I swiped my OV today, pressed cancel, and then it blinked, and cancel appear again. That brought up a "tender not accepted" or something of the sort.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I did $4K of MOs yesterday and $6K today with no problems,
with or w/o the workaround?
Old Jun 7, 2014, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by commdiver
Has anyone else noticed that if you press the cancel button on the old POS screens before it blinks a second time, it does not work? I swiped my OV today, pressed cancel, and then it blinked, and cancel appear again. That brought up a "tender not accepted" or something of the sort.
it has been brought up before, someone didnt read the thread haha.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by FTRox87
it has been brought up before, someone didnt read the thread haha.
What if I told you that I read every post except that one

Ok, sorry, will go back. My bad.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by zozeppelin
Try WU and MG sites for map searches.
Try the other -mart.
Try the PO.

I haven't tried any of those as WM works for me. If it didn't, those are where I would check based on quick searches (some providing mixed feedback).

The CTA also has a card I'm looking into. You can make it a debit card (3k max load per month, takes VR). You can load "CTA" at CVS with credit card. I'm not sure how those accounts interrelate as the card is the same, but will be exploring.
Thanks for the suggestions - all good ones. The other mart has said cash only but will try again. WU and MG are the list I'm working on, no success yet. I thought PO was known not to work.

CTA card is interesting. One side of card is payment for CTA fares and then for a fee you can also use it as a regular debit.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 12:19 pm

Yep, have to read all 763 posts before you can post. Enjoy the literature.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 1:39 pm

It happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.