Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: HH Diamond-IHG Plat-AA Gold
Originally Posted by mayday23
I just did 2 BB reloads at the register and a MO at the MC using a debit card. I just swiped it as normal and didn't have to change payment. I did notice on the MO cashier screen that it read "Changed from credit to debit." I assume the employee did that and don't know if that was ever there before.

This is an image of the machine. Is this one of hte old or new ones?

[IMG][/IMG]
New style color terminal.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by barrytuneup
1) don't do split payments! 2) don't do BP ... But I do go at 8:00AM Sat. I do have a life.
Just b/c you are incapable of performing split payments without having problems, does not mean it is a difficult procedure at all.

Last edited by Alcibiades; Jun 5, 2014 at 1:29 pm
Old Jun 5, 2014, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by kingrat
where do you live?
Originally Posted by newuser0
+1 Even I am curious to know this
Philly area (look two lines below my username ).
Old Jun 5, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by commdiver
Philly area (look two lines below my username .
Who does that?
Old Jun 5, 2014, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jmw
With his repetitive, tiring, and most importantly UNCONVINCING defense of bloggers, I think he is or is supported financially by a significant other who is a blogger or blogs on this topic. 95% of the credit card bloggers won't reveal themselves here, so a denial doesn't mean anything. There are exceptions like the doc of course.
Sorry, all untrue.

With their repetitive, tiresome and unconvincing condemnation of bloggers and newbies, the "keep it secret" crowd is making this forum a very nasty place. And like cowardly bullies, they like to gang up on anyone who disagrees with their views.

I'm not actually defending bloggers so much as pointing out the logical fallacies of those who condemn them and newbies without any proof. If someone care so much about these opportunities that they angrily lash out at groups of people when one goes away, they're not using logic at all, but rather prejudice.

We're really not entitled to any of this, we're simply taking advantage of it, just like bloggers and newbies. There's no significant difference.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Originally Posted by unkinected
A couple data points from me...

My Walmart has the green screen machines, with separate green and red physical buttons on it.

- After I swipe my VGC, the cancel button appears immediately for a split second. The screen "blinks out" and then the cancel button comes back for another second or two. If I hit the first cancel button, I've gotten tender not authorized and have to reswipe. But if I wait till the second cancel button, it correctly goes to the screen that allows me to change to debit.
- Similarly, after the screen pops up asking me to confirm the amount and I hit yes, the next screen asks me to "please swipe card." This screen too "blinks out." If I swipe my card before the blink, it doesn't work. So I wait for the blink, and then swipe, which always works.
Machines at my usual Walmart seem to act the same way. I guess I've never been fast enough to catch the cancel button before the blink.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
With their repetitive, tiresome and unconvincing condemnation of bloggers and newbies, the "keep it secret" crowd is making this forum a very nasty place. And like cowardly bullies, they like to gang up on anyone who disagrees with their views.
While I won't deny there are a few bullies on the board, I think you're miscategorizing a lot of others who prefer to keep things low key. There is a huge amount of information available on the board to anyone who is willing to put in the effort to read and learn, but there are so many who are new to the game that don't even bother reading details advice given just a few posts before theirs. That jeopardizes the game for everyone, because someone who goes in without fully understanding the process draws attention to it and risks needlessly accelerating the decline of the opportunity at hand.

Well, then, why not make everything easy with circles and arrows, you ask? It takes all of the thinking out of the equation, so people neglect to take steps that would fall under common sense if people spent more than a minute to ponder what they're doing. Also, bloggers' primary interest in this game is not in keeping deals alive for themselves, but rather in driving revenue from CC signups, so there are no repercussions if they give sloppy or bad advice.

In short, no one is entitled to any of this more than anyone else, but I certainly think people have a right to get frustrated when deals are killed because of ignorance or laziness.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
as a small data point
I went to my usual local walmart today and had no trouble unloading metabank visa, without needing to use "change payment" trick
Old Jun 5, 2014, 4:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Went back to the WM that gave me trouble yesterday. Had no problem loading one BB. Moved to another cashier line and women that I presume was a manager, and who I know has seen me there before, came over and whispered something in the cashier's ear and the cashier looked directly at me. I presume she telling her to check my ID or something like that. I didn't wait to find out and just left the store.

Guess It's time to cool it at this Walmart for a while. Unfortunately the next closest one is 30+ minutes away. Luckily my local RAs doesn't seem to have an issue selling me MPs with a CC so I can load my Serve's that way for now.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: HH Diamond-IHG Plat-AA Gold
Data point:
Had no problem loading BB with OV at registers using the new terminal workaround.
I had noticed in the past (when no trick was necessary) that the screen always refreshed twice after swipe, before the PIN entry came field came up.
In light of that, while applying the workaround today, I swiped the card, and let the screen refresh once. Then hit the yellow button.
Worked like a charm 2x at 2 different registers. ^
Many thanks to all who have contributed to this thread!
Old Jun 5, 2014, 5:03 pm

Went to my local Walmart to load BB w/ OV. Instead of the registers I tried the MC and missed the change payment 4x (new, color screens - absolutely could not click change payment in time). The CSR was visibly annoyed (I guess I wasn't the first with these issues, and I don't blame her about it either) and said something about Visa no longer working properly because of a change in the system.

Finally managed to load 1 of 2 BBs and left in a hurry before a Manager was called.

Annoying to say the least, looks like this is coming to an end as well. Shame.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 5:36 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Sorry, all untrue.

I'm not actually defending bloggers so much as pointing out the logical fallacies of those who condemn them and newbies without any proof. If someone care so much about these opportunities that they angrily lash out at groups of people when one goes away, they're not using logic at all, but rather prejudice.

We're really not entitled to any of this, we're simply taking advantage of it, just like bloggers and newbies. There's no significant difference.
I think the difference is the motivation and the desire to be a part of a community. We all want to help each other travel cheap or supplement their income. Do the bloggers want to help folks, or do they want to make money? Some do actually want to help people. One in particular is totally in it for the money, in my opinion. His posts are irresponsible and incomplete, and his bowtie fashion is meh.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Citi-Prestige,
Thanks all for sharing your tips / experiences I don't have a BB but I did get some GFC with my new Barclays card to meet the $3,000 for 40,000 points. Exchanging the GFC for MOs worth fine at WM. Thanks again
Old Jun 5, 2014, 5:40 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I think folks here can be a bit irresponsible. Just because it works this time, doesn't mean it will last. Whenever I do something with regards to this game, I take actions that cause the least amount of scrutiny and frustration on the part of employees. Even if they accept 8 swipes, what's the chances of that trend continuing over the long haul?

I think that VRs could have lasted longer had the big blogs now continuously trumpeted their availability. I also think that the Citi AA offer also boosted consumption of beans. I think CVS tolerated our game until the costs outweighed the benefits. I think it's wishful thinking to conclude that many of the blogs don't have a negative impact on our game.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 6:12 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I think that VRs could have lasted longer had the big blogs now continuously trumpeted their availability.
wrong...

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I think CVS tolerated our game until the costs outweighed the benefits.
right but costs going up from InComm's side were the ones that outweighed negotiations, not consumers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.