Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2014, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by payeco
But did he also ask to see your ID to match to your BB? I wouldn't have been worried if it was just asking to see the debit. He asked for the ID before he even knew what I was paying with. He actually thought I was going to pay cash. He said "is this going to be all cash?"

I guess we'll see how tomorrow goes. Hopefully the MC lady is working that seems to like me is there. She's a sweet older black lady that always calls me "honey" and "sugar" haha. I don't even have to tell her $500 per swipe anymore.
The last two young ladies who helped in the MC were smart and very helpful. The CSR who wanted my card was about 67, miserable and not too sharp. Power trip for that one, I think. He only wanted my debit card to verif.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I just got the first mention of a restriction at my WM.

The MO printer has been down since the weekend, waiting for a replacement, and since I had a string of AmEx GCs come in, I ended up with a lot of VGCs. I went to WM intending to do at least $4K of MOs, but the clerk at the MC was the worst one possible - this tall middle-aged white woman who never smiles and who won't do anything on her keypad until you've completely finished keying everything in. This makes the process take almost twice as long, so the last two times with her I limited myself even though I had a lot of cards then, too.

I did the first $2K without incident and then told her I have another set of 4 cards. She did $4K the last time she was there, so I thought it would be fine, but she told me this time that I'd have to fill out some paper work for anything above $3K. I told her I'd come back tomorrow, then, and went to the side to fill out the MOs.

I've done $6K several times with other clerks, so I was pretty disappointed. Now the question is whether the staff has been recently instructed on this or if it's just her. I'll go there tomorrow morning and if I get one of the good clerks I'll soon know.
In my world it is extremely rare to find a WMT that will let one do more than one single MO transaction per day, book or no. And yet where you are, you are appalled by one that will not. Man I wish I were with ya then.

This further proves the fact that we all must realize how much it all varies from place to place--and why it is important for people to stop relying on the circles and arrows step by mentality that the blogs (and even these threads) feed the mindless sheep who are too lazy to do the work on their own.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 5:27 am

Anyone else having problems using the work around? As soon as I swipe my OV card, the 'cancel' button pops up for a millisecond and I try to hit it but I'm always too late. I even keep my finger in the lower right corner just so I'm ready but I'm too SLOW, lol.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:10 am

When you guys are doing these BB loads with multiple swipes, what are you saying? "Hi, I want to load $2,000 onto my BB with four swipes."? I have been saying that me debit card only does $500 per swipe, but they never seem to understand what that means.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by commdiver
When you guys are doing these BB loads with multiple swipes, what are you saying? "Hi, I want to load $2,000 onto my BB with four swipes."? I have been saying that me debit card only does $500 per swipe, but they never seem to understand what that means.
I always say that my bank has a $500 limit on debit swipes and everyone says thats ok, you can do it 4 times or something like that..
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by rtraveler
Anyone else having problems using the work around? As soon as I swipe my OV card, the 'cancel' button pops up for a millisecond and I try to hit it but I'm always too late. I even keep my finger in the lower right corner just so I'm ready but I'm too SLOW, lol.
A couple data points from me...

My Walmart has the green screen machines, with separate green and red physical buttons on it.

- After I swipe my VGC, the cancel button appears immediately for a split second. The screen "blinks out" and then the cancel button comes back for another second or two. If I hit the first cancel button, I've gotten tender not authorized and have to reswipe. But if I wait till the second cancel button, it correctly goes to the screen that allows me to change to debit.
- Similarly, after the screen pops up asking me to confirm the amount and I hit yes, the next screen asks me to "please swipe card." This screen too "blinks out." If I swipe my card before the blink, it doesn't work. So I wait for the blink, and then swipe, which always works.

As always, your mileage may vary. I can't say that I've verified the above with 100% scientific accuracy, but this has been my experience. I've never yet had a problem with a card following the above.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:18 am

I personally wait till they start the transaction and say "oh, I need to do multiple swipes." Most of the time they barely acknowledge and we just proceed. On the rare situation that they've looked at my quizzically, I offer "my debit card only allows $500 at a time." After that, half the time I still get puzzled looks, but it always seems to proceed ok.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I just got the first mention of a restriction at my WM.

The MO printer has been down since the weekend, waiting for a replacement, and since I had a string of AmEx GCs come in, I ended up with a lot of VGCs. I went to WM intending to do at least $4K of MOs, but the clerk at the MC was the worst one possible - this tall middle-aged white woman who never smiles and who won't do anything on her keypad until you've completely finished keying everything in. This makes the process take almost twice as long, so the last two times with her I limited myself even though I had a lot of cards then, too.

I did the first $2K without incident and then told her I have another set of 4 cards. She did $4K the last time she was there, so I thought it would be fine, but she told me this time that I'd have to fill out some paper work for anything above $3K. I told her I'd come back tomorrow, then, and went to the side to fill out the MOs.

I've done $6K several times with other clerks, so I was pretty disappointed. Now the question is whether the staff has been recently instructed on this or if it's just her. I'll go there tomorrow morning and if I get one of the good clerks I'll soon know.
Sandra? She's a real peach, isn't she?

And there's a worse one now - young lady, face like a bulldog hit by a frying pan. Refused to let me pay a CC unless I provided a statement. Tried to claim that WM would be fined if I didn't pay the required balance on my CC account

And yes, they've been instructed to limit it to $3k or we fill out paperwork.

Last edited by Stoughton; Jun 5, 2014 at 8:11 am
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
In my world it is extremely rare to find a WMT that will let one do more than one single MO transaction per day, book or no. And yet where you are, you are appalled by one that will not. Man I wish I were with ya then.

This further proves the fact that we all must realize how much it all varies from place to place--and why it is important for people to stop relying on the circles and arrows step by mentality that the blogs (and even these threads) feed the mindless sheep who are too lazy to do the work on their own.
You should mention that in your blog
Old Jun 5, 2014, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Marathon Man

No, it doesn't. It only shows that Madison is a good place for MSing. Your "circles and arrows", "mindless sheep", etc. is merely a confabulation. People have different ways of understanding things and I see nothing intrinsically wrong with learning by circles and arrows or step-by-step. They are no less worthy of profiting by MS than any of us -- none of us deserve this, we merely take advantage because it's possible to do so.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 8:32 am

I'm pretty sure that I deserve it. Just ask me.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Even if it did, at that point you might as well just buy Metabank VGCs unless you don't have easy access to stores that carry them.
I don't. At least, I don't think I do.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 8:41 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred

I only load 2 swipes per register. Move around so that you don't arouse suspicion.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 8:45 am

Just went to my normal WM to load two BBs. I usually go to a register first for one and then the MC for the other.

For the first time ever I was asked to show an ID that he used to match up with the BB. Luckily I had used the one with my name on it. Then when I told him I wanted to pay with debit he asked me to give it to him to swipe. I said "I normally swipe it on the terminal right here" and he said he needs to match it to my ID. I didn't push it any further. I let him pull the $1000 from my real checking and left the store.

Not a good sign... I'm going to go back tomorrow and try again and see what happens...
Maybe you will be able to use your real debit card again. Just hand them the card. Obviously there is no name on it, if he denies it just walk out. Why would you use your real debit card? You have nothing to lose by walking out. Now you lost $1K for the month to load.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 8:47 am

I would probably have walked out too.

I've was able to load two birds today. One GC didn't require the workaround, and one did. It went smoothly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.