Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Old Jun 4, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Andy2
Hope that I did not create the confusion. I have discovered since my last posting that the US Bank cards that are available at Kroger do not require the workaround at WalMart. I was originally using them as part of a four card split tender at WalMart that inlded OVs, and I noted that an additional workaround was required for the US Bank card, In fact, what I was doing was inadvertently changing the US Bank card from Debit to Credit by hitting the Change Payment. Had I done nothing but swipe them and not hit the Change Payment, it would have worked just fine. I have since used them at WalMart with no workaround.
Hmm. US Bank cards have the pin already set. Interesting.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
I finally had some success to day at my WMT.

Now this will probably only work if and when like 3 clerks are working of the many there. The one I went to knows me well and is smart (and cute) and she even said: I am about to go to lunch so let's get this done because so and so is not gonna know how to.

I have the older looking POS terminal, which has INCOGNITO in red on the top left, and is rounded at the bottom. It has a red, yello and green button on the key pad and the words that come up are in B/W.

Here is what the clerk and I figured out using OVs in a split for MOs:

Clerk starts this... she types in $500 on the "ENTER AMOUNT" side, and NOT on the "EXACT AMOUNT" side. The ENTER AMOUNT side is on her right but still on the screen not her keypad.

She does NOT hit ENTER on her screen or keypad though! very important!

Then I swipe... and hit cancel. In my case it flashes but then comes back up quickly so I just had the stylus ready and hit the area like a bunch of times. It took.

Once it takes, she hears a beep or can see something come up.

NOW she hits ENTER.

At this moment I can now see the choices, like EFT, debit, etc. I hit debit. (In one case I made a mistake and hit EFT but she canceled it out and I was given a new chance to do this whole thing over so it is ok if you mess up here).

Once you hit debit it's like before... hit no for cb and then do pin and you should be ok!

I did not try a BP but this also worked for a single OV payment to a BB.

Every WMT is different. Every clerk, every terminal and every state.

What people need to realize is just because something works for you in your area--or lives or dies in your area, it is not necessarily the case somewhere else.

Hope this helped. Now, stay out of the other stores and stay in WMT!

MM
Old Jun 4, 2014, 1:40 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
Hmm. US Bank cards have the pin already set. Interesting.
The ones I am talking about, the ones with the atrocious purple & grey color coordination, require the user to call to set the pin. They are sold at Kroger and I believe the issuer is US Bank. They cost $5.95 and are Visas. These work without difficulty at WalMart using the old system.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 1:45 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
The ones I am talking about, the ones with the atrocious purple & grey color coordination, require the user to call to set the pin. They are sold at Kroger and I believe the issuer is US Bank. They cost $5.95 and are Visas. These work without difficulty at WalMart using the old system.
Those also have a pin assigned that is in the packaging. That further proves our theory that cards with preset pins are less hassle. In this case, they're more expensive.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 1:51 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
Those also have a pin assigned that is in the packaging. That further proves our theory that cards with preset pins are less hassle. In this case, they're more expensive.
I am a moron. I have bought hundreds of these and just now noticed, because of your post, that the PIN is in the package. But I always select the same PIN upon calling and I am not sure which is more of a hassle, calling or trying to match the packaging to the card. But thanks for pointing it out.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 1:58 pm

I am a moron. I have bought hundreds of these and just now noticed, because of your post, that the PIN is in the package. But I always select the same PIN upon calling and I am not sure which is more of a hassle, calling or trying to match the packaging to the card. But thanks for pointing it out.
I think it's relatively new that the PIN is in the package. Also, someone on this forum pointed it out, so I can't take credit for it.

Still, it explains why we don't have to use the workaroudn for them.

Both methods are a hassle, so I normally call and set the pin.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 2:37 pm

For what it is worth (given that people's experiences seem to vary based upon the individual CSR), I went to a WM near my office at lunch time today, where I have previously had no issue with getting two $1K MOs using four swipes and $1.40 in cash. When I told the CSR-- whom I didn't recognize-- that I wanted to pay with four debit swipes, each $500, she hesitated, asked to see the card (I showed her one OV) and then told me she needed to get approval. She also mentioned having had a "training unit" about two weeks ago where the subject of debit cards came up. I didn't get the sense the register was stopping her and I had been at this store just last week without an issue. Her manager came, took a look and then mentioned she would need to talk with someone else who was somewhere else in the store. I waited five somewhat uncomfortable minutes, before telling her to void the transaction and help another customer who had arrived. I then proceeded to the (now working) Kate and purchased four $499.30 MOs without any issue.

Again, not sure what to make of this, and whether this is a MO policy (or any policy at all, for that matter). I have had issues at this store before with people not knowing how to do BP, so I don't know if a BP request would have triggered the same response. I plan on stopping by my local WM on the way home to do another $2K in BP, so I'll see if there is any indication at that location if a change is in the wind.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL PM Reserve
Any reports of anyone swiping a OV or VGC for a small amount ($1 or so) in order to set the PIN prior to going to WM? Just wondering if that would eliminate the need for the workaround if the PIN was already set?
Old Jun 4, 2014, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by ronnyk
For what it is worth (given that people's experiences seem to vary based upon the individual CSR), I went to a WM near my office at lunch time today, where I have previously had no issue with getting two $1K MOs using four swipes and $1.40 in cash. When I told the CSR-- whom I didn't recognize-- that I wanted to pay with four debit swipes, each $500, she hesitated, asked to see the card (I showed her one OV) and then told me she needed to get approval. She also mentioned having had a "training unit" about two weeks ago where the subject of debit cards came up. I didn't get the sense the register was stopping her and I had been at this store just last week without an issue. Her manager came, took a look and then mentioned she would need to talk with someone else who was somewhere else in the store. I waited five somewhat uncomfortable minutes, before telling her to void the transaction and help another customer who had arrived. I then proceeded to the (now working) Kate and purchased four $499.30 MOs without any issue.

Again, not sure what to make of this, and whether this is a MO policy (or any policy at all, for that matter). I have had issues at this store before with people not knowing how to do BP, so I don't know if a BP request would have triggered the same response. I plan on stopping by my local WM on the way home to do another $2K in BP, so I'll see if there is any indication at that location if a change is in the wind.
Best to show a regular debit card whenever possible. Sigh.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL PLT, AS 75k, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by ATL787
Any reports of anyone swiping a OV or VGC for a small amount ($1 or so) in order to set the PIN prior to going to WM? Just wondering if that would eliminate the need for the workaround if the PIN was already set?
Yes. It was tested and reported on just a few pages back....no go.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 2:50 pm

Folks said it didn't work.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 3:44 pm

holy .......i'm going out to my car to check on this as well...

i've never given it a 2nd thought since i started a year ago...
Old Jun 4, 2014, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Originally Posted by jdmass
I agree. Just did it yesterday at one of the older machines. Hit the red Cancel and then was able to select ATM/Debit.
So, was a second update rolled out or are there two varieties of the old system?
Old Jun 4, 2014, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Even if it did, at that point you might as well just buy Metabank VGCs unless you don't have easy access to stores that carry them.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 5:04 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
on the other side of the equation: today I happened to see a lotta variable GCs upto $500 at WM for a lower fee -- has anybody been able to buy these GCs with CC @ WM recently? if so, has there been a (daily) limit?

I havent had any issues with my GCs at WM but perhaps these might work better for others. the issuer is someone called Sunrise Bank, looks like they are exclusive to WMs? there were Visa and MC versions available.

the back of the packaging is more similar to the Metabank GCs (or is that US Bank? cant remember) you find at Staples with the tear off back-strip. however the front of the packaging is more similar to Bancorp cards. I mean its not OV or reg VGC, the packaging is unique/special tho as they are "seasonal" GCs like for graduation, bdays, fathers day etc.

Last edited by FTR 787; Jun 4, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.