Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2014, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by teddy25
I have ran in to that issue a few weeks ago with a wm csr that doesn't want to do anything. The small sheet says tender not allow or something like that. Just go back to a different Csr later.
OK. This may be the issue today.
Will see, how this goes. Going again to WM now guys.
Old May 29, 2014, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by newuser0
As soon as I swipe, the swipe pad shows a sign screen
perhaps a faulty magnetic strip on that particular plastic GC
Old May 29, 2014, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
It has been the prediction of me and other MS lifers that the more this stuff gets blogged about, wiki'd about, and blabbed about all over, the more the following will take place:

Sure, debit pin will exist and all, but stores will stop letting ya use it. There will be things in place to prevent this over time

and here we are.
Old May 29, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: USAir, UA, AA, BA, Hyatt, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, IHG
OK. This may be the issue today.
Will see, how this goes. Going again to WM now guys.
OV's still work. I got back from a WM run 20 minutes ago, picked up 1 with a BUXX and 1x999.30 w/ 2 OV's. Process seemed a bit different than normal, but also a first time cashier for me (cashier was puzzled when I asked for 999.30 MO, muttering - I'm going to play that in the lottery - you're the fourth person today to ask for a money order in that amount)... clearly this avenue is getting crowded.

Process change -
-asked to do 2 debit cards, 500 each
-"normal" process, for me, is CSR keys in 500, then I swipe and PIN. Then repeat with second card.
-Today process - swipe, hit cancel, hit debit, key in PIN. CSR keys in (presumably 500), trans approved. Repeat THIS process with second card.

So the change is the Cancel, hit debit, PIN, then CSR keys 500. I thought unusual.

Possibly there are two methods and this CSR only knows this one?
Possibly POS upgrade? (separately, I have had CSRs tell me WM POS will be upgraded in August... personally think that will be the end of this particular avenue of MS).

For reference, this is northern Philly 'burbs...
Old May 29, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by kxc262
OV work still...
The error message you got - that prints out everytime you get a money order at least in my area
OP did you log in and check if there is still a balance on the card. it would really suck if it went thru but no MO printed you would then be out 504.95.
Old May 29, 2014, 2:26 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
It has been the prediction of me and other MS lifers that the more this stuff gets blogged about, wiki'd about, and blabbed about all over, the more the following will take place:
says the guy with this in his sig

Do please read my thoughts, ideas, reports and babblings on http://mileageupdate.com/ --and thank you to everyone who voted for me for TalkBoard!

how's that for sweet irony
Old May 29, 2014, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, MR, UR, Cash Back!
Originally Posted by FTRox87
says the guy with this in his sig

how's that for sweet irony
Lol, Got em!
Old May 29, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Well I just got. back and bought two MOs for a total of 2k and used four 500.00 VGCs. NO problem.....
Old May 29, 2014, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by silver6054
Right, some of the responses remind me of the last-ditch "This is only regional" with VRs with CC at CVS. Hopefully, as you say, this is cashier error, but about two weeks ago a clerk asked her supervisor "Are we still allowed to take these prepaid debits" so maybe a change is coming.
I can sense the change. One WM always allows for GC is changing... some cashiers allow, and some donot.
Old May 29, 2014, 3:08 pm
Suspended

I used to buy MO at my WalMart using my OV (from CVS) till now. Today, for my surprise, When the cashier asked me to swipe my card, the register spit out a receipt saying the above mentioned message.

She tried again, no go. As soon as I swipe, the swipe pad shows a sign screen (like we get after we swipe for a purchase using CC)

My assumption is that now WM is treating OV as CC instead of debit? Any one else been successful getting OV-> MO today?
well the 2 Wallys I went into not only didnt I have any problems and walked out with MOs, but the csr swiped them as there was problems with the pin pads. To boot 1 had below his name tag CS supervisor or something like that
Old May 29, 2014, 3:11 pm

yeah this is the main problem buddy. I can't stop MS at all, now doing like $2-3K per 15 days. That's all.

I am worried that nextmonth 4th I need to cash out to pay my CC bills. Need to learn to do something before that time.

Any suggestions from you??

PS-I have floated the fees for Staples GC, OV , AGC etc. I don't have money to pay this. So I do $2-3K MS to rotate the money between my cards, so that, It will buy me some time till I get paid out by CB Portals.
Are you just trolling or is this for real? Newsflash dude...everyone has to float the Staples GC, OV, AGC, etc fees. That is the price you pay to do MS. This is not something you can recover but if you are telling me that you can't pay an extra $50 to buy $5K of OVs then you need to leave this game ASAP.
Old May 29, 2014, 3:17 pm
jmw

How many cowboys are trying to MS with no money?????? I'm beginning to think maybe a big percentage here on FT have no ability to float due to having no money in the savings account. So they get desperate and violate velocity rules and otherwise spook WM employees to make it by the due date.

ETA: Was able to buy MO from my favorite MO wallymart with no problems. Nothing new at my wally.
Old May 29, 2014, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Are you just trolling or is this for real? Newsflash dude...everyone has to float the Staples GC, OV, AGC, etc fees. That is the price you pay to do MS. This is not something you can recover but if you are telling me that you can't pay an extra $50 to buy $5K of OVs then you need to leave this game ASAP.
I am not trolling anything here. This will NOT get me (or anyone ) any good benefits.

2. The point is it's NOT Just $50. This money keeps increasing as I do MS.
I use the FLOAT money from different CC to accommodate this expense.
Old May 29, 2014, 3:21 pm

Can't we just ban the OP by popular consent.

A vote off the island kinda thing.
Old May 29, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I am not trolling anything here. This will NOT get me (or anyone ) any good benefits.

2. The point is it's NOT Just $50. This money keeps increasing as I do MS.
I use the FLOAT money from different CC to accommodate this expense.
I am not being snarky here; you should seriously look at NOT doing MS. You may find yourself in serious financial trouble if you don't.

Last edited by cruisr; May 29, 2014 at 3:23 pm Reason: Typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.