MO Purchases using OV @ WM

    Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 29, 14, 7:26 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: prasha11
Wiki Link
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.



Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

Old May 30, 14, 8:32 pm
  #286  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ATL
Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Posts: 955
I strongly suspect that this is bug. If Walmart was purposely trying to stop the use of these cards, they've done an amazingly poor job of it.

Using PIN-enabled, prepaid debit cards for debit-only purchases is an edge case for the developers. We're not Walmart's target audience.
sechs is offline  
Old May 30, 14, 8:42 pm
  #287  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by payeco View Post
Haha oops. It's been a long day.
no worries. us 2014's gotta stick together.
RIPvanilla is offline  
Old May 30, 14, 8:49 pm
  #288  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Posts: 1,111
Originally Posted by IBJanky View Post
Would this be considered color or b/w? These are the types I see in the WM in my area.

That is a different console than either of the ones I was describing. My black and white is really black and white with a much smaller screen than that. The color one is similar to your picture but a little bit nicer. Kind of amazing how many versions exist with apparently different software. Seems like it would be an IT nightmare.
Andy2 is offline  
Old May 30, 14, 8:51 pm
  #289  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: LAX
Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Posts: 471
so we good now?
cajunguy is offline  
Old May 30, 14, 8:57 pm
  #290  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3,318
Originally Posted by sechs View Post
I strongly suspect that this is bug. If Walmart was purposely trying to stop the use of these cards, they've done an amazingly poor job of it.

Using PIN-enabled, prepaid debit cards for debit-only purchases is an edge case for the developers. We're not Walmart's target audience.
No i think the fact that it comes up initially as "credit" is already a deterrent so that folks who don't read FT would think the game is over and bow out. They wouldn't know about the workaround. At least that is what I am hoping.
ericdabbs is offline  
Old May 30, 14, 9:04 pm
  #291  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: DC/NOVA
Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Posts: 192
Originally Posted by ericdabbs View Post
No i think the fact that it comes up initially as "credit" is already a deterrent so that folks who don't read FT would think the game is over and bow out. They wouldn't know about the workaround. At least that is what I am hoping.
Or they freak out and draw even more attention to what more experienced MS'rs are doing when they make a scene or call Incomm and not know just to walk away and come back later... chances are this is going to get worse with the number of people fitting this mould.
picards007 is offline  
Old May 30, 14, 9:10 pm
  #292  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 45
Anybody have issues with Kate? I am maxed out for May couldn't try today however tried 4X in a row at a green/black terminal tonight hitting the cancel button. No go.
ctdohert2 is offline  
Old May 30, 14, 9:11 pm
  #293  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Posts: 12,795
Tried loading my Bluebird with Vanilla gift/debit card this evening at WM. Having the same problem... it keeps coming up as credit and then instantly rejecting the transaction. I tried at a register and at cust service/money center. When I swipe it blinks a screen for a fraction of a second showing the cancel and change payment buttons, then goes to the screen for a signature for another fraction of a second and then rejects it.

WM by me in MA doesn't have a self serve kiosk that I can try manually, so have to go to a register. Pretty crappy since I'm sitting on a couple k in vanilla cards now.
rylan is offline  
Old May 30, 14, 9:16 pm
  #294  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by rylan View Post
Tried loading my Bluebird with Vanilla gift/debit card this evening at WM. Having the same problem... it keeps coming up as credit and then instantly rejecting the transaction. I tried at a register and at cust service/money center. When I swipe it blinks a screen for a fraction of a second showing the cancel and change payment buttons, then goes to the screen for a signature for another fraction of a second and then rejects it.

WM by me in MA doesn't have a self serve kiosk that I can try manually, so have to go to a register. Pretty crappy since I'm sitting on a couple k in vanilla cards now.
I'm having the same exact problem. After hitting red cancel and then immediately the yellow change payment icon, I get the screen for the signature. Anyone know what we're doing wrong?
lingoking is offline  
Old May 30, 14, 9:36 pm
  #295  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3,318
Originally Posted by lingoking View Post
I'm having the same exact problem. After hitting red cancel and then immediately the yellow change payment icon, I get the screen for the signature. Anyone know what we're doing wrong?
Are you sure you are doing it right? Are you sure the cashier didn't hit the button his machine already? Once you hit Cancel, you hit the change payment icon and then select ATM/debit.
ericdabbs is offline  
Old May 30, 14, 9:41 pm
  #296  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: MSP
Programs: AA, DL, AS
Posts: 183
Originally Posted by hamhead View Post
This will get worked out very quick on Wal-Mart's end. For the obvious reason: Money. Since this is affecting real debit cards too it is going to cost them a lot of money.

Obviously you can run real debit cards as debit or credit - with Visa and Mastercard jumping for joy when credit is run. Much higher swipe fees.

Defaulting true debits to running as credit default is going to cost Wally big dollars.
Not hard to differentiate debit cards by issuer at all. Each issuer has their own ISO range (first 6 digits). If you are a software developer for pos devices, there are databases you can buy.
ceverett is offline  
Old May 30, 14, 10:24 pm
  #297  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: PVD
Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Posts: 134
Found a new place to purchase MO's today... no cancel button, no questions, no hassle. A nickel cheaper than Wally World, at that. Keeping my mouth shut regarding the location, lest the over-populated madness that is SoCal kills this one too. For those freaking out about the changes at WM.. the game will always change (see Mint, VR's, Office Depot, etc)..... ADAPT!
SANbound is offline  
Old May 30, 14, 10:33 pm
  #298  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sea
Programs: UA 1K;
Posts: 2,457
Originally Posted by SANbound View Post
Found a new place to purchase MO's today... no cancel button, no questions, no hassle. A nickel cheaper than Wally World, at that. Keeping my mouth shut regarding the location, lest the over-populated madness that is SoCal kills this one too. For those freaking out about the changes at WM.. the game will always change (see Mint, VR's, Office Depot, etc)..... ADAPT!
I avoid WM as much as possible. I do have to endure the monthly loading of 2-BBs...but can't imagine having to purchase MOs there also.
The odds on a given day is that you will stand in line behind 5 or 6 people and then get up to the counter and get turned away or told you can only do one swipe.

I have found other sources for MOs, including one that charges $.29
Maximum is usually only $500. per MO, but still beats WM any day.

I also have a very difficult time understanding why the insistence on buying OV when it is giving so much trouble. Why not branch out and try Meta or USB?
It doesn't help you much to not have "gift card" written on your card if it is a pain to use.

It seems that people have a fixation on doing the same thing...even in the face of difficulty.
grayland is offline  
Old May 30, 14, 11:00 pm
  #299  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 365
Originally Posted by ctdohert2 View Post
Anybody have issues with Kate? I am maxed out for May couldn't try today however tried 4X in a row at a green/black terminal tonight hitting the cancel button. No go.
What's Kate?
st.exupery is offline  
Old May 30, 14, 11:04 pm
  #300  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 546
Originally Posted by st.exupery View Post
What's Kate?
I'll give you a couple hints: she asks "Do you want cashback?" in a slightly annoying tone. She also speaks too loudly and lets everyone in the area know how much I am loading.

Last edited by silver4300; May 30, 14 at 11:21 pm
silver4300 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: