Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Old May 30, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
I strongly suspect that this is bug. If Walmart was purposely trying to stop the use of these cards, they've done an amazingly poor job of it.

Using PIN-enabled, prepaid debit cards for debit-only purchases is an edge case for the developers. We're not Walmart's target audience.
Old May 30, 2014, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by payeco
Haha oops. It's been a long day.
no worries. us 2014's gotta stick together.
Old May 30, 2014, 7:49 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by IBJanky
Would this be considered color or b/w? These are the types I see in the WM in my area.

That is a different console than either of the ones I was describing. My black and white is really black and white with a much smaller screen than that. The color one is similar to your picture but a little bit nicer. Kind of amazing how many versions exist with apparently different software. Seems like it would be an IT nightmare.
Old May 30, 2014, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
so we good now?
Old May 30, 2014, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by sechs
I strongly suspect that this is bug. If Walmart was purposely trying to stop the use of these cards, they've done an amazingly poor job of it.

Using PIN-enabled, prepaid debit cards for debit-only purchases is an edge case for the developers. We're not Walmart's target audience.
No i think the fact that it comes up initially as "credit" is already a deterrent so that folks who don't read FT would think the game is over and bow out. They wouldn't know about the workaround. At least that is what I am hoping.
Old May 30, 2014, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
No i think the fact that it comes up initially as "credit" is already a deterrent so that folks who don't read FT would think the game is over and bow out. They wouldn't know about the workaround. At least that is what I am hoping.
Or they freak out and draw even more attention to what more experienced MS'rs are doing when they make a scene or call Incomm and not know just to walk away and come back later... chances are this is going to get worse with the number of people fitting this mould.
Old May 30, 2014, 8:10 pm

Anybody have issues with Kate? I am maxed out for May couldn't try today however tried 4X in a row at a green/black terminal tonight hitting the cancel button. No go.
Old May 30, 2014, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Tried loading my Bluebird with Vanilla gift/debit card this evening at WM. Having the same problem... it keeps coming up as credit and then instantly rejecting the transaction. I tried at a register and at cust service/money center. When I swipe it blinks a screen for a fraction of a second showing the cancel and change payment buttons, then goes to the screen for a signature for another fraction of a second and then rejects it.

WM by me in MA doesn't have a self serve kiosk that I can try manually, so have to go to a register. Pretty crappy since I'm sitting on a couple k in vanilla cards now.
Old May 30, 2014, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
Tried loading my Bluebird with Vanilla gift/debit card this evening at WM. Having the same problem... it keeps coming up as credit and then instantly rejecting the transaction. I tried at a register and at cust service/money center. When I swipe it blinks a screen for a fraction of a second showing the cancel and change payment buttons, then goes to the screen for a signature for another fraction of a second and then rejects it.

WM by me in MA doesn't have a self serve kiosk that I can try manually, so have to go to a register. Pretty crappy since I'm sitting on a couple k in vanilla cards now.
I'm having the same exact problem. After hitting red cancel and then immediately the yellow change payment icon, I get the screen for the signature. Anyone know what we're doing wrong?
Old May 30, 2014, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by lingoking
I'm having the same exact problem. After hitting red cancel and then immediately the yellow change payment icon, I get the screen for the signature. Anyone know what we're doing wrong?
Are you sure you are doing it right? Are you sure the cashier didn't hit the button his machine already? Once you hit Cancel, you hit the change payment icon and then select ATM/debit.
Old May 30, 2014, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS
Originally Posted by hamhead
This will get worked out very quick on Wal-Mart's end. For the obvious reason: Money. Since this is affecting real debit cards too it is going to cost them a lot of money.

Obviously you can run real debit cards as debit or credit - with Visa and Mastercard jumping for joy when credit is run. Much higher swipe fees.

Defaulting true debits to running as credit default is going to cost Wally big dollars.
Not hard to differentiate debit cards by issuer at all. Each issuer has their own ISO range (first 6 digits). If you are a software developer for pos devices, there are databases you can buy.
Old May 30, 2014, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Found a new place to purchase MO's today... no cancel button, no questions, no hassle. A nickel cheaper than Wally World, at that. Keeping my mouth shut regarding the location, lest the over-populated madness that is SoCal kills this one too. For those freaking out about the changes at WM.. the game will always change (see Mint, VR's, Office Depot, etc)..... ADAPT!
Old May 30, 2014, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K;
Originally Posted by SANbound
Found a new place to purchase MO's today... no cancel button, no questions, no hassle. A nickel cheaper than Wally World, at that. Keeping my mouth shut regarding the location, lest the over-populated madness that is SoCal kills this one too. For those freaking out about the changes at WM.. the game will always change (see Mint, VR's, Office Depot, etc)..... ADAPT!
I avoid WM as much as possible. I do have to endure the monthly loading of 2-BBs...but can't imagine having to purchase MOs there also.
The odds on a given day is that you will stand in line behind 5 or 6 people and then get up to the counter and get turned away or told you can only do one swipe.

I have found other sources for MOs, including one that charges $.29
Maximum is usually only $500. per MO, but still beats WM any day.

I also have a very difficult time understanding why the insistence on buying OV when it is giving so much trouble. Why not branch out and try Meta or USB?
It doesn't help you much to not have "gift card" written on your card if it is a pain to use.

It seems that people have a fixation on doing the same thing...even in the face of difficulty.
Old May 30, 2014, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by ctdohert2
Anybody have issues with Kate? I am maxed out for May couldn't try today however tried 4X in a row at a green/black terminal tonight hitting the cancel button. No go.
What's Kate?
Old May 30, 2014, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by st.exupery
What's Kate?
I'll give you a couple hints: she asks "Do you want cashback?" in a slightly annoying tone. She also speaks too loudly and lets everyone in the area know how much I am loading.

Last edited by silver4300; May 30, 2014 at 10:21 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.