Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2014, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by sedubby
what about vanilla mc?
Seriously?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Already tired of the "I'm stuck with these Vanillas" bellyaching.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:20 pm

I still don't understand why WM would try to eliminate these transactions? I mean, if it's a debit transaction, it will be a cost of $0.05 or less per transaction (due to Dot Frank Act, all debit transactions fees are capped at low rate, unlike credit cards that varies between 1% to 3%). WM is so large, it probably has its own clearing house and payment system, so the cost will be even lower. So it really is not a economic loss for them.

The only logical answer would be that they are worried about certain risks such as fraud. I mean, even if they are not losing money by allowing this, they certainly aren't making money either. So why take on the unnecessary risks?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:32 pm

Programs: None
I have moved on to Harris Teeter and I don't even mind filling out an occasional store log for them to do a 2k volume on every visit once a week.

I absolutely don't want to make it any tough for my WMT cashier who smiles when he sees me and asks me 1998.12 or 2498.12 and what is the split on the cards. 500 or 495 and doesn't care about 2-3 bill pays or money orders. I use other Metas and Sunrise cards along with TD (Soon to go), Tmobile and other Buxx cards.

Will eat the extra about 99 cents per money order and have worry free VGC flushes. lol
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:34 pm

I am stuck with 6 vanilla cards. Need to find other source to liquidate them.
does mall allows multiple swipe for gc purchase? or 500 ov and 4$ cash?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:37 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by commdiver
+1

If you loaded up on them, you have learned the first valuable lesson of MSing: there is risk. Stop crying and move on. Next time, slow down and purchase less, especially since the wiki clearly spells out that OVs and Vanilla GC acceptance is spotty at WM for MOs.
You didn't need to read the wiki. Just seeing that the beans required multiple swipes should have given the hint that the acceptance was probably going to be short lived.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by vbcrush
I think it should be relatively easy to liquidate 2 cards without much problem. You don't need to be so mad at yourself.
This. 2MO and done. Pay a bill with them.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by deant
You didn't need to read the wiki. Just seeing that the beans required multiple swipes should have given the hint that the acceptance was probably going to be short lived.
Hellloooooo. This. I bought 1 and only one to test it. I still have it so it goes to school tuition via MO. No big deal.

1) There is no fight club.
2) NEVER float more than you can daily spend or liquidate very comfortably.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by sechs
Right? It's funny to see how so many lack basic problem solving skills.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sechs
+1
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by bigmouth2008
I still don't understand why WM would try to eliminate these transactions? I mean, if it's a debit transaction, it will be a cost of $0.05 or less per transaction (due to Dot Frank Act, all debit transactions fees are capped at low rate, unlike credit cards that varies between 1% to 3%). WM is so large, it probably has its own clearing house and payment system, so the cost will be even lower. So it really is not a economic loss for them.

The only logical answer would be that they are worried about certain risks such as fraud. I mean, even if they are not losing money by allowing this, they certainly aren't making money either. So why take on the unnecessary risks?
First, for fees your estimate is far too low even after Dodd Frank

Here

Wal-Mart is paying $0.45 or so per $500 in interchange fees. Plus MoneyGram is going to be getting a cut of the money order fee for actually processing the MO. Nevermind fraud loss / employee wages.

Definitely a net loss.

This was always the case even before we started doing this, but it was used as a way to get people in the store. If they are going to the Money Center, chances are they are going to do other shopping as well.

MSers have a tendency to go in the store, to the money center, and back out from what I've seen. We are by and large a parasite to merchants. But we are a parasite that is hard to eliminate without affecting actual profitable customers.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by tech2011
I am stuck with 6 vanilla cards. Need to find other source to liquidate them.
does mall allows multiple swipe for gc purchase? or 500 ov and 4$ cash?
can you use evolve to pay any bills?
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by hamhead
Wal-Mart is paying $0.45 or so per $500 in interchange fees. Plus MoneyGram is going to be getting a cut of the money order fee
Not much of a loss since WM collects 70 cents
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
Not much of a loss since WM collects 70 cents
I think the amount varies regionally, I pay 70 cents but I've seen reports of a lower amount
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:27 am

Field report on my WM (I know this is a thread about buying MO's at WM, not loading BB at WM, but posting here since this thread's Wiki most directly addresses the OV at WM issue):
  • Bought 2 OV's at CVS on a CC
  • Took them to WM. Neither loaded on Kate. (By the way, this might be something I missed, but Kate is charging $5 for $500 loads. Not for lesser loads, though - I stuck under $494.99 for simplicity.)
  • Took them both to a register.
  • OV#1 went through despite "tender not accepted" after the clerk swiped from his side. Interestingly, I don't think it ever asked me for a PIN.
  • OV#2 was firmly "tender not accepted."
  • Decided to let things cool off, as perhaps BB had been fooled into thinking I'd met $1K load/day even though less than $500 had actually cleared.
-
  • Spent down the 1st OV at the cafeteria at work. (Interestingly, their register had no idea that my OV balance was $0.81 short of my bill and counted the whole sandwich as paid for.)
-
  • Two days later, went to a grocery store.
  • At grocery store, bought a snack using OV#2 as debit at self-checkout to explicitly set a PIN.
  • At grocery store, bought a US Bank MC gift card on a CC. Called in & set PIN.
  • Back to WM with OV#2 & USBGC. Bought a Clif bar apiece on each at self-service checkout using a PIN (though it might have automaticlaly rolled to credit, because on both cards it was doing weird "denied" stuff & then printing a receipt that said "Purchase approved").
  • Went to Kate & tried loading BB with OV#2 & its PIN. Denied - Kate was convinced it was a credit card. Swiped USBGC instead & got that to load just fine.
  • Went to register & tried loading BB with OV#2. Using "cancel" button as soon as I swiped card & then hitting "Change Payment," I got a chance to enter a PIN. However, that still ended up with "Tender Not Accepted" because the register is absolutely convinced that OV#2 is a credit card.
-
  • Happy ending: I finally got someone else in my life set up on AP, so I'll be able to empty out OV#2 in a few months when my minimum-spending activity there cools down (to me, preferable to using OV#2 for day-to-day spending because I like using my normal bank statements like a checkbook register on "real-world" spending). And I'll be able to spend a lot less time worrying about finicky cards & running to WM in general.

Last edited by kitkatft; Aug 22, 2014 at 9:44 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.