Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2014, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by commdiver
You guys are just hurting yourselves with all these swipes. Put yourself in their shoes. If some guy tries swiping the same card TEN TIMES, would you not get suspicious? If your card does not work after the second swipe, move on. Stop spoiling things for others.
That's what I try to convey in the wiki, but this is another good way to put. ^
Old Aug 11, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by BQatWSU
Datapoint: 2 OV didnt work at Kate today. Tried only one swipe though. US Bank MC worked fine at Kate. MB VG worked fine as usual
Also had problems with VGC today.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by BQatWSU
Datapoint: 2 OV didnt work at Kate today. Tried only one swipe though. US Bank MC worked fine at Kate. MB VG worked fine as usual
This morning I went through a bunch of USB VGCs with no issue, and also liquidated the last of my VVGCs, at the WM MC. The VVGCs all eventually worked, but required on average about 4 swipes each. I won't buy more of them until this settles down, as I don't want to antagonize the wonderful WM employees who let me do this.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:00 pm

if i was a cashier i would just pissed off, i could care less what they were doing and more the line building behind 10x swipe.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by kenshinluo
All these multiple swipes to run 1 OV through is gonna kill this again soon enough. At my usual WM some cashiers are already aware of this kept failing and ppl want to keep retrying.
+1
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:40 pm

Ditto all the above. Talking Kate's ear off is one thing, but airing your dirty laundry in front of a live checker is not cool.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:50 pm

Went to kiosk, loaded bluebird with Vanilla visa gc (not OV), failed, tried two more times and it failed. Tried another card and it worked on the first swipe, 3 more worked on the first swipe after that.

So kinda weird but it works. Used the card that failed 3 times to buy MO at grocery store with no problems.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 3:03 pm

5/5 VGCs worked today. Had to swipe most twice. 1 went through right away, another took 3 swipes.

I agree with the sentiment of the past posters. It's worth it to lay off of VGCs/OVs since they'll only make cashiers/managers more hesitant to allow GCs if they have to constantly cancel transactions, etc. I'd suggest only buying 2 VGCs a week to throw into the mix and see if the problems subsides soon (if ever).

The dollar saved isn't worth antagonizing the golden goose. Although it pains me to not be able to save that 1 measly dollar, I'd rather pay another dollar to have this avenue last til the end of the year rather than be cut a few months short.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by mbaker4096
I got the same problem with USB VGC at Kate this morning. Same errors that were coming up for OVs. Ugh.
Must have just been indigestion (knock on wood). A different set of USB VGC went fine after lunch. Reset PINs on the first set and dumped them elsewhere.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 3:57 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
4 USB VGCs worked on 1st try on a mix of kate/register.

2 MB MCGCs worked on 2nd try @ register, both times req change payment as has been the case for a while. but 1st time req more than one try.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 4:28 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SPG, HLTN, ETC
Just one little data point. I loaded a kate today with 1 OV without an issue. Accepted first try. She loved it and we got along fine.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 5:05 pm

4 OVs went through BB, 2 attempts each.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 7:02 pm

Just tried 2 different OVs at two different registers. Swiped each one 4x before giving up. I used the change payment button but the register kept giving me "Debit not available".
Old Aug 11, 2014, 8:47 pm

3 of 6 went through. tried other 3 2x each.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 11:39 pm

Maybe this is an attempt by WM to shut this down for good by getting all the cashiers annoyed at MO purchasers who do multiple failed swipes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.