Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2014, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
Cashier keyboard error, unintentional or otherwise
Cashiers did not touch anything - it just showed up as Tender Not Allowed on the MC Chip cards - Barclays and Citi Premium. Today I tried the BofA chip card it also rejected the card but before cashier said / did anything, I quickly swiped the FIA card, then the screen flashed, and the change payment button and cancel button popped up. All the while cashier did NOT touch anything.

Last week after the failures at Super Center and regular store, I tried it at neighborhood store where the Barclays A+ worked and the AMEX HHonors worked. 2 days ago the MC chip card no longer worked at neighborhood store but AMEX HHonor continued to work. I did it at the CS desk where my very friendly cashier was on duty. After the Barclays A+ failed, I suggested if I should try another card. She said if I wanted, yes, tried it. So I swiped the HHonors card - to our surprise, system took it.

Yet today back to the super center, even swipe card no longer works.

On each occasion, cashiers did not touch any key. they just watched. The terminals simply rejected the cards.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 1, 2014 at 10:01 pm
Old Aug 1, 2014, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Cashiers did not touch anything - it just showed up as Tender Not Allowed on the MC Chip cards. ...
Chip card has to be inserted into the slot at the bottom of the register now. The swipe will give you error.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
My area WMTs have a software update that nobody has reported - WMGC now is hard coded Cash or Debit only
So you meant to say that WMGC is hard coded to make just MC Chip credit cards fail ? If so, yeah, that would be new.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by silver6054
Not just the dollar. Much easier to buy a lot of cards at CVS than at a supermarket, at least round here. $1000 is a huge deal.

Few days ago I was told: Cash only, Cash only if more than $300, credit card if you take down the ID, only works with Amex. Since I wanted to use BC, that was fine, but I decided buying more than $1000 would be pushing it.
Exactly. WD here behaves very similar as you describe. Most of the time is Cash Only. Occasionally it can be bought with CC, but trying to buy more than one is pushing it.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 10:16 pm

Not just the dollar. Much easier to buy a lot of cards at CVS than at a supermarket, at least round here. $1000 is a huge deal.

Few days ago I was told: Cash only, Cash only if more than $300, credit card if you take down the ID, only works with Amex. Since I wanted to use BC, that was fine, but I decided buying more than $1000 would be pushing it.
It's kinda the opposite with me, but this is good news anyways!
Old Aug 1, 2014, 10:40 pm

Exciting news
Old Aug 2, 2014, 6:13 am

I did BB and BP with OVs last night at WM. I am all fed up with my grocery stores clerks. even one friggin 500 GC was a big deal. Cash only or debit! They always made me feel like a criminal.

CeeVeeEs here I come!
Old Aug 2, 2014, 7:40 am

I wonder if this is the best kept secret in the private forums since no any blogger so far published the coming back of Vanilla@WM yet...
Old Aug 2, 2014, 7:49 am

got 4 out of 7 OVs to work. 3 of them worked on the 2nd try.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 8:57 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat Hilton Diamond Marriott Diamond Hyatt Diamond
Success on BP and Kate

Successfully loaded BB using OV at Kate at $500 each. Did multiple BP transactions with OV - no problem.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spgbus
Chip card has to be inserted into the slot at the bottom of the register now. The swipe will give you error.
We all know that. I dont bother to say that I inserted the chip card at the bottom of the terminal because I think this is a GIVEN. And no need to specify.

Let me make it clear, after inserting the MC chip card, the screen showed MC Purchase, Do Not Remove Card. Then the process was aborted by the system. Cashier did NOT do anything. There was a message on the screen, but I forgot what it was. The register spit out a slip which the cashier said it was Tender Not Allow - this happened on both MC chip cards that are World Elite.

I am not sure whether the change button screen popped up after swipe FIA card, would mean that CC is still allowed BUT the default set for WMGC purchase is for Debit Card Only. Unfortunately at that stage, cashier would not let me use the button and just aborted the transaction manually - that is the ONLY time the cashier touched anything, let me emphasize.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 9:35 am

I was trying to purchase 2 MO using VGC from US bank this am. During the final step when I tried to pay the fee with cash, the system crashed, and the cashier wasn't able to print the MOs. She voided the entire transaction and she said the money will go back to the cards I used. When I went home and checked the balance on my cards, they are all showing zero balance. Called the WM manager of that store, she said it will take a few business days for the credit to show up. Does anybody here have such experience? How many days does it take for the credit to show up?
Old Aug 2, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I'm much more comfortable at CVS.

Regarding Vanilla, it doesn't make sense that we can't make a small initial purchase, set the pin, and then be able to avoid the workaround at Wal-Mart. The workaround is sketchy for me.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by patrickfungusa
I was trying to purchase 2 MO using VGC from US bank this am. During the final step when I tried to pay the fee with cash, the system crashed, and the cashier wasn't able to print the MOs. She voided the entire transaction and she said the money will go back to the cards I used. When I went home and checked the balance on my cards, they are all showing zero balance. Called the WM manager of that store, she said it will take a few business days for the credit to show up. Does anybody here have such experience? How many days does it take for the credit to show up?
Wait for couple of days. it should usually show up.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by patrickfungusa
She voided the entire transaction
Did they use a key to Void ? did a receipt print out ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.