MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 29, 14, 7:26 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: prasha11
Wiki Link
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

Old May 30, 14, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical View Post
in the first post, the OP told us what the receipt said- which was something we've never seen before. it was obvious to anyone with modest comprehension skills that something real and new was being reported. nonetheless, except for my post and a couple others, it was a feeding frenzy of NO IT ALL (intended) back slappers ridiculing him and treating him like he's an 8 year old that just wet the bed at a sleepover.

my point... there should be a lot of apologies in this this thread. perhaps there's a glitch, because i don't see any...
Yes, but in his title he said "No more MO Purchases using OV @ WM," which was overly sensational and, as it turns out, not true. If he hadn't started off by declaring the end of MOs, he would have gotten a different reaction.
Old May 30, 14, 8:20 am

Just to be clear, if there is an issue here it relates to WM Money Center transactions with certain (but, perhaps all) VGC with PINs-- not particularly to MOs.

Anyhoo, I stopped by my local Walmart (PHL area) this morning. This location has the upgraded customer terminals and is running the latest software. I did a $2K BP and what I observed is consistent somewhat with what has been described and, happy to say, easily addressed. Yes, the swipe now does not automatically take you to the cashback request screen; rather it seems to just hang as if waiting for authentication. If you do nothing for a short while, it does return an error to the cashier that credit is not permitted. If you push the change payment button, you can then choose debit, then to cashback selection and then to PIN entry.

My cashier did not appear confused (she in fact told me after the first swipe I had to select debit) and all in all, it took no longer than any of my previous visits.
Old May 30, 14, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by 36902BRF View Post
I agree OP took a lot of heat yet he turns out to have been right. I appreciate both OP and SPG (for the work around) posting their findings.
"No more MO Purchases using OV @ WM"

Is not right
Old May 30, 14, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by pwned View Post
FYI - Freequentflyerbook wrote about this on May 1st ...
That is a completely different issue
Old May 30, 14, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Stoughton View Post
"No more MO Purchases using OV @ WM"

Is not right

He write like the huffington post does...

DRAMATIC

can someone update the title?
Old May 30, 14, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
He write like the huffington post does...

DRAMATIC

can someone update the title?
This thread should just be locked and allowed to fade away. All that matters is the listing of new steps.
Old May 30, 14, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Stoughton View Post
This thread should just be locked and allowed to fade away. All that matters is the listing of new steps.
I agree but some idiot will keep it going... lol
Old May 30, 14, 9:43 am

great

Originally Posted by adminds View Post
Not the same issue. He was talking about split debit payments:

Old system: cashier goes first

With the old POS software, after the final total was calculated for your purchase, the cashier had the option of typing in a split-tender amount on the physical keypad located to the right of the screen.

After typing in the amount, he or she would press the physical "debit" button, also located on the right side of the terminal.

Then, the customer could swipe a debit card, select the amount of cash back desired, if any, and type in their PIN.

This procedure could be repeated up to 4 times total (3 times if loading a Bluebird card).
New system: customer goes first

Once your Walmart receives the updated POS software, the process is reversed.

Now, after the final total is calculated for the purchase, the customer can swipe a debit card, select a cash back amount, and enter their PIN.

After the PIN is entered, the customer-facing keypad will read "Waiting for Cashier," and only then can the cashier type in the amount to be charged to the swiped debit card and push the "debit" button, again using the physical key located on the right side of the screen.

In fact, the cashier can type in the amount of the split tender before the customer swipes a debit card what triggered reader Serion's repeated error was the cashier pressing the "debit" button before he had swiped his debit card and entered his PIN.

This procedure can still be repeated at least 4 times (that's how many swipes I did this morning).
Old May 30, 14, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1K;
Cool

Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
I agree but some idiot will keep it going... lol
What idiot would do that???
Old May 30, 14, 9:58 am

Hey I was at WM today and the register spit out a receipt saying the MO has to be paid for with debit!!! How do we get around that?
Old May 30, 14, 10:02 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I wonder when this actually started. I loaded like I normally do yesterday morning without any of these issues. Also, I swipe my bird instead of the cashier.
Old May 30, 14, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon View Post
I wonder when this actually started. I loaded like I normally do yesterday morning without any of these issues. Also, I swipe my bird instead of the cashier.
Good, swiping the cashier is very very wrong
Old May 30, 14, 10:27 am

So what exact is the process like in detail to load vgc?

When handing over BB to CSR do you tell them amount to load upfront or just wait after you input your pin and have them press debit ?
Old May 30, 14, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon View Post
I am guessing the roll-out is staggered. I had no issues yesterday getting MOs at two different Walmarts using OVs at the MC/CS desks. Haven't had a chance to go today but will report back when I do.
Old May 30, 14, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Furyleader View Post
So what exact is the process like in detail to load vgc?

When handing over BB to CSR do you tell them amount to load upfront or just wait after you input your pin and have them press debit ?
Just read the wiki. Its pretty clear when you tell them to enter the amount You do know that OV and VGC are used interchangeably. Replace where it says 'OV' with 'VGC' and voila.

Last edited by ericdabbs; May 30, 14 at 11:06 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: