Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Delta
Originally Posted by bmrisko
I did about $17k the past 2 days and am finally out of OV. Luckily we have a high concentration of various stores that allow MO purchases with debit.

May go pick up some more OVs tomorrow since the racks are full and do some more MO washing while the gettin' is good (and still allowed). I did discover a few more viable MS methods this weekend that are working quite well for me in case MO purchases die a quick death.
wow Lucky you... I haven't found any grocery stores that takes debit cards for MOs in the Bay Area. All stores I've visited have been cash only for MOs so far. Think I'm likely done with OVs except for when I want to pay some principal on my mortgage through Evolve.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by prasha11
Were they suspicious of your behavior? they won't listen to u, can't afford to loose a customer!
My MO volume is too low to attract much suspicion. Massive volume is highly suspicious, and if local stores won't limit MO purchases, I'd expect them to shut down the machines. When churners were hiding and stealing VRs, I told CVS managers about the problem and asked them to keep VRs by the cashiers. I never had a problem finding VRs after that.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:35 pm

I tried using a US Bank MC (bought at Staples) at WM today and got the dreaded Alternate Tender Error message. I did the cancel trick and everything went through fine up until the end. I've been reading this thread since the get go, so i don't recall anyone having this issue unless I'm mistaken?
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by subdawg
I tried using a US Bank MC (bought at Staples) at WM today and got the dreaded Alternate Tender Error message. I did the cancel trick and everything went through fine up until the end. I've been reading this thread since the get go, so i don't recall anyone having this issue unless I'm mistaken?
Subdawg, This is not really a surprise. You need to remember that Bancorp is a holding company and it is the parent company of US Bank. Can you see why, if Bancorp has limitations, those same limitations may apply to US Bank?
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Originally Posted by deant
Subdawg, This is not really a surprise. You need to remember that Bancorp is a holding company and it is the parent company of US Bank. Can you see why, if Bancorp has limitations, those same limitations may apply to US Bank?
I hope that this is purposeful misinformation.

It's not a surprise because most Mastercards have required the workaround, pretty much from the start. It's in the wiki.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by sechs
I hope that this is purposeful misinformation.

It's not a surprise because most Mastercards have required the workaround, pretty much from the start. It's in the wiki.
I know the workaround as I've rinsed these same US Bank MCs at WM for some time using the same process in the past (Cancel or Change Payment option). I'm just saying that as early as last week it worked, but today it did not. I tried a few times and even called to reset the PIN while the cashier was patiently waiting. Just wondering if this is WM's next targeted card to disallow.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:14 pm

Didn't know about the relationship between Bancorp and US Bank. However, I rinsed 12k at WM using a different Bancorp-branded product today and all was good.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, Misinformation or ignorance?

Do you deliberately mislead with false information or you really believe so?

Anyone does a simple google search would know US Bancorp and The Bancorp Bank, shares the word Bancorp but the common denominator ends right there.

FYI, the stock symbol for US Bancorp is, guess what, USB, listed on NYE and made 52 week high on Friday.

the stock symbol for Bancorp is TBBK, listed on Nasdaque and has lost 50% value since March.

If a US Bank card does not work, it has nothing to do with Bancorp. It may have a lot to do with what the trend at WM is heading for all the prepaid cards.

So please dont use misinformation if this is the purpose of your post because this does not help anyone!

Otherwise, get the fact and gain some knowledge before posting.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 22, 2014 at 11:33 pm
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know the workaround as I've rinsed these same US Bank MCs at WM for some time using the same process in the past (Cancel or Change Payment option). I'm just saying that as early as last week it worked, but today it did not. I tried a few times and even called to reset the PIN while the cashier was patiently waiting. Just wondering if this is WM's next targeted card to disallow.
Did you get the same cashier or new ones? For those cards that require workaround, it seems the cashier must wait after you changed payment form before s/he press debit. Else it would fail no matter what. So the question is, did your cashier successfully complete a transaction as late as last week with similar card or this is a new cashier that you do not know if s/he knows when to use the debit key?

Didn't know about the relationship between Bancorp and US Bank. However, I rinsed 12k at WM using a different Bancorp-branded product today and all was good.
The 2 are totally unrelated.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 22, 2014 at 11:24 pm
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:24 pm

Programs: Platinum Sky Pimp
Originally Posted by commdiver
Anyone else notice that Bow Tie has not mentioned this yet? Probably a good sign. We have yet to spoonfeed him a workaround.
They wouldn't let him take pictures of cash register.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by somdave2005
wow Lucky you... I haven't found any grocery stores that takes debit cards for MOs in the Bay Area. All stores I've visited have been cash only for MOs so far. Think I'm likely done with OVs except for when I want to pay some principal on my mortgage through Evolve.
Yeah, the bay area sucks when it comes to buying MO's with debit cards at stores other than Walmart. I am yet to find a single local grocery store that does...
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Happy
Did you get the same cashier or new ones? For those cards that require workaround, it seems the cashier must wait after you changed payment form before s/he press debit. Else it would fail no matter what. So the question is, did your cashier successfully complete a transaction as late as last week with similar card or this is a new cashier that you do not know if s/he knows when to use the debit key?
There is no "debit" button anymore in the new software AFAIK.. It's just "card" button on the screen and the system thinks its credit card and runs it as credit causing failure and headache for us..
Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by slickpokerdealer
There is no "debit" button anymore in the new software AFAIK.. It's just "card" button on the screen and the system thinks its credit card and runs it as credit causing failure and headache for us..
Yeah, the cashier didn't push anything as it led me through the same screens as normal (inputing PIN, selecting Debit, etc). Spit out the error at the end of everything. I tried it several times with how I normally do it, so it seems as if the MCs may be suffering the same fate as the vanillas. Just rinsed it via Evolve.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 1:49 am

Programs: DL, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Happy
Wow, Misinformation or ignorance?

Do you deliberately mislead with false information or you really believe so?

Anyone does a simple google search would know US Bancorp and The Bancorp Bank, shares the word Bancorp but the common denominator ends right there.

FYI, the stock symbol for US Bancorp is, guess what, USB, listed on NYE and made 52 week high on Friday.

the stock symbol for Bancorp is TBBK, listed on Nasdaque and has lost 50% value since March.

If a US Bank card does not work, it has nothing to do with Bancorp. It may have a lot to do with what the trend at WM is heading for all the prepaid cards.

So please dont use misinformation if this is the purpose of your post because this does not help anyone!

Otherwise, get the fact and gain some knowledge before posting.
Yes, you have the correct information. They are not related companies.

I wonder if WM stopped cashiering them for fear they may be left holding the bag in bankruptcy or restructuring.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by commdiver
Anyone else notice that Bow Tie has not mentioned this yet? Probably a good sign. We have yet to spoonfeed him a workaround.
He has now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.